BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Adding contacts with multiple numbers (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=241860)

smith67 12-16-2010 12:44 PM

Adding contacts with multiple numbers

Hi all I'm trying to add contacts from my SIM card that have multiple numbers for each contact - e.g. work, home, mobile, etc. and e-mail addresses.
The problem is the phone only loads up the contacts mobile number - and calls it 'work'.
Any way to get the other numbers loaded up?
My previous phone was a, *cough* Windows mobile 8-)
Thanks

Pendro 12-16-2010 04:15 PM

Re: Adding contacts with multiple numbers

Hello. I'm not pretty sure that your sim card has separate numbers for each contact, I think your phone has them on its address book (memory) or maybe the phone create various entries with one imput (one entry for each number).
Maybe I'm wrong but you have to enter them one by one, move/import the contacts from your sim card to your blackberry and then add the others number manually.

smith67 12-16-2010 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendro (Post 1685396)
Hello. I'm not pretty sure that your sim card has separate numbers for each contact, I think your phone has them on its address book (memory) or maybe the phone create various entries with one imput (one entry for each number).
Maybe I'm wrong but you have to enter them one by one, move/import the contacts from your sim card to your blackberry and then add the others number manually.

No, my SIM card has a number of entries for each contact - stored as work, mobile, home, other options available to such as e-mail address etc. My BB is only reading one, prob the first in the list.

Motorcycle Mama 12-16-2010 07:08 PM

The Blackberry OS will only read ONE phone number per contact from the SIM card.

smith67 12-16-2010 08:12 PM

Ok thanks for the reply. Do you know is there a program I could use - poss. via BDM? - to read and store the numbers on my pc?

smith67 01-05-2011 06:52 AM

Still, quite a major flaw in a modern smartphone operating system.

Motorcycle Mama 01-05-2011 07:02 AM

I would disagree with that assessment, but whatever works for you.

amber:) 01-05-2011 01:40 PM

You should just add two contacts but with a different name. For example ',
'John 2'
'John 1'
or 'John Home'
Or 'John Mob'

??
Hope it helped!

smith67 01-05-2011 05:27 PM

Well, the point is this : a SIM card is capable of storing multiple phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses for one contact. This is normal behaviour - in a 'real' address book this is how you store information.

So, why should a modern smartphone not be able to recognise these entries under one contact name and transfer those entries to its native address book? Windows mobile can do it, an iphone can do it, I would think that a current BlackBerry would be able to do it.

I have to use a 3rd party app to make full use of my SIM card on the Storm for a feature that I think should be standard.

Not BB bashing or anything, don't get me wrong. After all I chose this phone over winmo or apple so it has its good points, obviously.

JSanders 01-05-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smith67 (Post 1691227)
Well, the point is this : a SIM card is capable of storing multiple phone numbers and/or e-mail addresses for one contact.

No it is not. A SIM can store one name and one number per entry:
Joe Smith 123-123-1234
Bob Jones 223-345-4567
etc.

aiharkness 01-05-2011 06:08 PM

Can you get the contact data on the SIM copied onto another device, then sync with something, then sync that something to the BlackBerry? Or use the switch device wizard?

As far as your point, I don't see it, and I wonder how many using a BlackBerry think about or care about getting full use out of the SIM. The storage capability of the SIM is irrelevant.

But I do appreciate your problem copying the contact info to the BlackBerry with as little hassle as possible.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

smith67 01-05-2011 06:15 PM

Well I think its a valid point. I know for a fact that my SIM card has multiple entries for each single contact - that is a fact and that is what my SIM can do. Ok, big deal.

I have built up my BB contacts address book to take this into account and have saved it as an .ipd file to use in the future.

I still think that the BB should natively handle all the entries the SIM holds and deal with it appropriately. Not a big ask.

Edit: maybe UK SIM cards have this function, others don't? But I know mine does ;)

JSanders 01-05-2011 06:22 PM

Sheez, ok, whatever, there are simple workarounds to this.
Several have been suggested.

aiharkness 01-05-2011 06:25 PM

I thought same as JS...name and number. But then as I say I never really thought much about it.

At any rate, I'm not arguing. It is what it is. And that goes for the BlackBerry too.

JSanders 01-05-2011 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aiharkness (Post 1691255)
I thought same as JS...name and number. But then as I say I never really thought much about it.

That is the way it is.

smith67 01-05-2011 06:36 PM

Sheez yourself.
Just because my sim's better than yours na na n-na nah

JSanders 01-05-2011 06:40 PM

smith, the WHOLE point of the "smartphone" is to get away from the low capacity storage SIM card. To even store the numbers there in the first place is ... well,not smart. ;-)

smith67 01-05-2011 07:18 PM

I disagree. The ability of a Sim card to store a virtual address book of a couple hundred numbers that is transferrable between devices is a very useful feature only let down by a host device that can't realise the Sims potential.
But I think we've reached an impasse & I've already reached my own solution.
Cheers for now

aiharkness 01-05-2011 08:14 PM

So what was the solution?

hv9632 01-05-2011 08:28 PM

The SIMM Card was designed in such way and limited itself to 100 phone numbers. It is not suppose to replace the phone book on your phone, but to allow you to keep important numbers for you to make call under special circumstances, such as your battery is dead and you have to use other phone to call you number stored on the SIMM card. I don't think the latest generation of SIMM card is capable of storing multi-numbers.