BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   RIM Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Your computer must be connected to the Internet... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=128893)

Thinqer 05-08-2008 02:52 PM

Your computer must be connected to the Internet...

Hello all,

Just got my new BB Pearl 8110 today (an upgrade from the 8100) and installed v4.3 of the desktop manager on my PC (over the top of my previous install of 4.0). I then connected the 8110 to my PC only to get the message:

"Your computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings. Please ensure that you are able to connect to the Internet and try again."

I checked and I AM connected to the internet! Clicked retry a couple of times and get the same message.The desktop manager recognises my phone and I can see it in Windows explorer.

Uninstalled 4.3 and installed 4.2 (SP2) after reading a few posts on here. Plugged the 8110 back into the PC and the 'Add new hardware' wizard came up and wouldn't recognise (or at least find drivers for) the 8110 which was weird as after the 4.3 install it found the drivers just fine.

Uninstalled 4.2 and re-installed 4.3 only to get the same error (re internet) but it did find the drivers for it.

Anybody got any ideas...?

I'm running Outlook 2007 on Win XP Pro (SP2) and had no problems with my 8100 on the same setup.

I did install GoogleMaps, bbTracker and SuDoku all OTA before I first connected the 8110 to the PC. Could this have caused any of the probs I'm having?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Thinqer.

NJBlackBerry 05-08-2008 02:59 PM

Welcome to BlackBerry Forums.
I'd suggest removing Desktop Manager 4.3 and installing 4.2 instead.
There have been reported problems with 4.3.

Thinqer 05-08-2008 04:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion but as noted in my orignal post I've already tried that and still had issues, albeit of a different nature: it seems that the 8110 is not compatible with v 4.2 of the desktop software. Does anybody have confirmation of this?

Many thanks,

Thinqer.

JSanders 05-08-2008 04:29 PM

You were given good advice in Post #2. If you get the Add New Hardware wiz message again, close and ignore it... and proceed to install the DM. Reboot both device and PC and plug in the BB to the PC via a DIRECT USB, not a hub.

Thinqer 05-08-2008 05:00 PM

Thanks for the help.

I managed to get it working without reverting back to 4.2. I connected up my old BB (the 8100) to 4.3 and it seemed to work. Then disconnected the 8100 and connected the 8110 and I didn't get the '...must be connected to internet...' message and went straight through to set up sync.

I am connected through a hub though (in my monitor) so maybe that was causing a few errors.

Anyway, all working now so thanks.

Thinqer.

JSanders 05-08-2008 05:01 PM

Yep, you will probably get more errors while connected to the hub, it can be spotty.

aiharkness 05-08-2008 06:03 PM

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

Ditto. From experience of others I've read over time here, hub is almost certain to be your issue. Glad you got it going!

Rancho Computers 10-06-2008 11:47 AM

I had the same problem with DM 4.5. I turned off the McAfee firewall and the desktop app was then able to get to the internet and completed the setup.

DennyKyser 11-28-2008 12:39 AM

I am having this problem and have tried everything, several times. I am getting discouraged. I love the Curve, but its worthless to me if I can not sync with Outlook.

I have installed, uninstalled, cleaned registry etc, still no luck. I am not using a hub either.

Any more ideas?

Finman 11-28-2008 01:52 AM

I too have the same problem. I have had tried everything that I can find on all the forums with no luck. I have even gone the the effort of uninstalling all antivirus and firewall software.
I am have had problem before but this time even reverting back to 4.2 sp2 ... I have now done this frustration install uninstall procedure more than 10 times. I'm currently have a 9000 and have tried 4.2 right up to 4.6 and I without media manager.
Can someone please help....... I cant connect and am getting the cannot connect to internet error. I'm am using a laptop that has 4 USB ports and as sais above maybe this is the problem.

I have uninstalled all the USB ports and rebooted to allow XP to reinstall before proceeding with the fresh DM and also followed the steps regrading the registry and before reinstalling DM. I'm so stuck now I have come to the end of the line. As the previous person mention 'Blackberry" is no help to my business if I can sync. I am using BIS.

Is it worth looking at a 3rd party software? or does anyone one have a suggestion on another phone manufacture that I could use other than a BB.

Please help this is becoming a major drag.

cheers
Fin

Finman 12-02-2008 10:31 PM

Any further developments on this "Problem"

Update... I have now unistalled and installed over 10 times,with the same death error.

I have just about unistalled all softeware that I thought might be casuing the problem

I tryed yesterday installing 4.7 (without media) but no luck and 4.7 seems even slower to load the older versions. Great work 'RIM".

Any one have an idea on a alternative program to DM??

Any help....."please"

Tim C. 12-06-2008 03:25 PM

Desktop Manager 4.7 problem

I have a brand new blackberry Storm and am transitioning from using a Palm Treo for the last two years. Phone is great but I'm having a software problem with Desktop manager. I have installed DM version 4.7 on my Dell XPS 410 operating with Windows XP Media Center Edition. I get the error stating "The computer must be connected to the Internet in order to initially configure synchronization settings."

I get a similar error when attempting to do most tasks using DM. I edited my Trend Internet Security software to allow an exception for the DM executable file but that didn't help. Because of this problem I can't synchronize with Outlook so I can't get my contacts and calendar items transferred to the phone. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Tim

DennyKyser 12-06-2008 04:25 PM

Tim this is a problem with the desktop manager, not your phone, you may need to contact BB support on this, they know its effecting many of us, the more who call in the quicker we will get it resolved.

Denny

zerog46 12-06-2008 04:35 PM

Have you tried disabling your firewall altogether. It will only go through this setup once.

Tim C. 12-06-2008 04:35 PM

Thanks. I'll look for the BB support link and send off a note. This really is frustrating to have such a simple problem cause so much havoc with an otherwise great tool.

Looks like other users have reverted to older versions of DM. I'm considering that option but not sure if it will work with a phone as new as the Storm.

Tim

zerog46 12-06-2008 04:41 PM

Have you tried 4.2 then install 4.7 over that.

Tim C. 12-06-2008 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1199045)
Have you tried disabling your firewall altogether. It will only go through this setup once.

Yes. I thought that would certainly do it but it didn't. Unless I'm not doing it correctly. I go to "control panel" and then to "security center". I then click on the link for "windows firewall". That opens a window to turn the firewall "on (recommened)" or "off (not recomended)". I turn it off as well as turning off firewall protection in my Trend Internet Security software.

Really troubled with this one. Thanks for any help that other users can provide.

Tim

Tim C. 12-06-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1199053)
Have you tried 4.2 then install 4.7 over that.

Not yet. Maybe I should give that a go and at least see if 4.2 can access the Internet.

zerog46 12-06-2008 04:45 PM

Try that and disable the firewall, it will only need to do this one time.

Tim C. 12-06-2008 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1199059)
Try that and disable the firewall, it will only need to do this one time.

Should I uninstall 4.7 first or do you think 4.2 will install over 4.7?

zerog46 12-06-2008 04:58 PM

No you will need to remove 4.2.

Tim C. 12-06-2008 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zerog46 (Post 1199063)
No you will need to remove 4.2.

So the process would be:
1) uninstall 4.7
2) install 4.2
- check to see if it accesses the Internet
- synchronize my phone (contacts and calendar)
3) uninstall 4.2
4) install 4.7

I've got to leave the house tonight but I'll try this in the morning and post my results unless I've not listed the process correctly above and see a follow-up post with corrections.

Thanks

Tim C. 12-06-2008 05:23 PM

By the way, is there a way to set up my profile on this forum so that I get a notification e-mail when a post is updated by another member? I'm a member on other forums that have that feature but I couldn't find the setting on this forum.

itsrlong 12-11-2008 12:36 AM

Anybody got a fix or workaround for this yet? I'm not plugged into a USB hub or anything and still get this. I was working fine before I updated to 4.7 today. Can't remember what version I was at before, but I do know that it was newer than 4.2 spack2....

grey123 12-11-2008 05:01 PM

I've also had this same error "Your computer must be connected to the Internet" after installing DM 4.7 for my new Storm. This is my first BB device, so also my first time installing DM on my PC. Over the coarse of the past few days, I've tried all the recommended solutions (uninstalling/reinstalling, disabling virus software, disabling my firewall, blah...blah...blah) and nothing let me make the connection to sync my Storm. Then...for other reasons, I went back and installed V Cast with Rhaopsody from the white Verizon CD (after DM 4.7 was installed and still getting the "Your computer must be connected to the Internet" error message). A few minutes later, I hooked up my phone to transfer files to the data card and I tried the sync button (just for fun) and it worked. It's continued to work for a few days now with a number of re-boots to the PC.

I'm no techy and I have no idea (or concern) if installing V Cast was what fixed this issue, but it works now. You might want to try it if you haven't already installed this piece of software.

Grey

Tim C. 12-12-2008 06:02 PM

Well, nothing was working for me. It was time to do a wipe of my hard drive anyway so that's what I did. After that everything works fine after I installed DM. Pretty radical but I was due for the cleaning so was a good thing overall. Hope the solution gets posted here for anyone that doesn't want to wipe their drive.

Tim

charltond 12-15-2008 05:54 PM

Same situation - unable to connect defeats sync setup

Verizon BB Curve DM 4.7 Disabled Firewall.
Have installed and reinstalled 3 times.
THis is the last time. I have deleted all folders with RIM, BB or Roxy names including those in the \Common\ folder and TEMP folder.

David

charltond 12-16-2008 12:29 PM

Last chance failed

OK, I uninstalled Desktop manager, deleted program folders and \Common\ folders, deleted every key in the registry with Research In Motion or BlackBerry. Turned firewall and anti virus off. Opened all ports on the router.

Installed Desktop manager. No joy. Same "must be connected to the internet" error. 6 hours of time with tech support from Verizon and my own attempts to repair, down the tubes.

I turned the blackberry back to verizon. Cancelled the account. Expressed by views. And bought a G-1. Smooth as silk.

Don't know if RIM monitors this issue but it has cost them a long time user and advocate.

David

bfb024 12-19-2008 03:57 PM

I am having the same problem as you guys are, and have tried all the mentioned solutions to no avail. I've looked at several other forums/blogs as well and haven't found a good solution there either. I have a Storm (first BB) and Windows XP on my desktop, which is what I want to use. However, I also have a laptop w/ Vista on it. When I go through the process with Vista, everything works great. Also, as I look through these threads, it seems like most commonly the problem occurs when the OS is XP. Has anybody had this problem w/ Vista as their OS?

jrizal 12-20-2008 10:12 AM

Same problem here. I was able to use it (v. 4.7) on my 4GB Eee under XP SP3 but can't do it using my Toshiba Satellite using the same OS.

bfb024 12-20-2008 09:36 PM

I installed Vista on my desktop to see if that would resolve this issue, which it did. Blackberry might want to look into whether there is something inherent in the XP software that is preventing this from working properly, but that was fixed in the Vista software..

jrizal 12-21-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrizal (Post 1216804)
Same problem here. I was able to use it (v. 4.7) on my 4GB Eee under XP SP3 but can't do it using my Toshiba Satellite using the same OS.

I found out what was the problem. It was the firewall. I installed (Comodo) and reinstalled it and everything is fine now. :)

charltond 12-23-2008 08:04 PM

Which firewall

Which firewall was the culprit? Windows Firewall or did you have some third party firewall or one in the router? I have tried putting my computer on the other side of teh DMZ on my DLink router and that had no effect. I have also turned off the Windows and NOrton 360 firewall, also with no impact. Any suggestions?

David

charltond 12-28-2008 10:26 AM

New information regarding "must be connected to internet"

Continuing my exploration, I downloaded wireshark to watch the traffic between desktopmanager and the licence server. The logs show that the failure comes after I connect to the blackberry site, so I am connected to the interent, despite the error. The BB site sends a SSL request, which is failed by my computer, reported as a TCP checksum error. THis is weird because I can connect to my bank and many other https sites, just not Blackberry. I have read that corrupted certificates can cause https errors so I went into the console manager, loaded the certificate manager addin and deleted all certificates. No impact on the problem.

I am not expert enough in the field to know where to go from here other than format and start over again. Any late breaking suggestions would be appreciated. Maybe this will point someone in the right direction. What could cause selective TCP checksum errors on specific sites?

David

pauly 01-10-2009 01:45 AM

I got this problem too. Got a new T-Mobile Curve and can't get sync'd. Anyone come up with something yet?

zerog46 01-10-2009 01:50 AM

Have you tried removing the DM and all the settings and try and re-installing it.

cathimac 01-12-2009 05:29 PM

I have the same problem with my new 9500 Storm. I installed 4.7 DM and it says i am not connected to the internet. All i want to do is get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to sync up with my BB.

Can someone please help!!!

pauly 01-13-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cathimac (Post 1244467)
I have the same problem with my new 9500 Storm. I installed 4.7 DM and it says i am not connected to the internet. All i want to do is get my Outlook 2007 Calendar to sync up with my BB.

Can someone please help!!!

Attention all users with this problem, I had success synching my new Curve using DM 4.2 sp2. I was trying with 4.5 and 4.6.

This was attempted after much research which stated that 4.2 does not look for an internet connection. I am using Outlook 2003. Don't know if it will make a difference on 2007 or other versions. As a matter of fact I just sync'd again before coming on here.

Spread the word.

T-Mobile had no clue.

RIM refers me to T-Mobile unless I pay them.

I saw occurrences as far back as May 2008

Why is there no fix for this yet?

(large font is so this won't be missed)

Good luck

cathimac 01-13-2009 02:24 PM

Dm 4.2

I will try that again, but it did not work. Apparently it will work with all other BB, but not the Storm. I will let you all know if it works.

rugmankc 03-08-2009 08:54 PM

Any update on this or are some people just screwed.

I wanted to get a bold soon and assume I need at least 4.5 for all features to work.

May have to sell my Sony laptop, BB and go Apple. :cry: :x

Ken

rugmankc 03-11-2009 11:14 PM

SOLVED!!!!!!

1 Click start
2 run
3 type REGEDIT
4 on the left hand side find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\0x24a82dfc
5 On the right hand side find and double click "STATE"
6 Change the #1 to a #0 and your BB will sync without connecting to the internet.

Take all normal backup precautions before editing registry. It worked for me. Using Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2007 and DM 4.5. This fix was found in the blackberry support forums.

Ken

brtodd 04-19-2009 05:03 PM

(y) Thank you very much Ken! I've been frustated for 2wks trying to figure out this problem. RIM was NOT helpful at all. Don't have a lot of confidence in RIM, I guess I can always depend on the internet.

FYI, I have a pearl 8110 and the value data was shown as a #6. I changed it to #0 and worked as stated.

KarenEgan 04-19-2009 10:24 PM

Thank You!

Thank you very much! I spent two very frustrating days trying to get my new Storm to sync. It shouldn't be this difficult!

glike2 04-24-2009 12:28 PM

REGEDIT is BEST FIX!

EXCELLENT! This REGEDIT fix worked for me with DM 4.7. This the best fix of the 3 I found:

Fix 1: Use DM 4.2 SP2
BlackBerry Support Community Forums - The computer must be connected to the internet... But I don't have internet at home - BlackBerry® Desktop Software - BlackBerry Support Community Forums[/url]
"According to the technical document DOC ID : KB16471 Desktop Manager v4.2.2 does not require an internet connection to perform the sync function."

Fix 2: Install VCAST from VZ CD "installing the Vcast with Rhapsody"

FIX 3: REGEDIT - The BEST OPTION! Use the latest DM 4.7 and don't install VCAST!
SOLVED!!!!!!
1 Click start
2 run
3 type REGEDIT
4 on the left hand side find the key:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\0x24a82dfc (may be different)
6 Change the #1 to a #0 and your BB will sync without connecting to the internet.

Take all normal backup precautions before editing registry.
It worked for me. Using Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2007 and DM 4.5.
Also worked for me using Windows XP Pro and Outlook 2003 and DM 4.7
This fix was found in the blackberry support forums

bibiboy 05-29-2009 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugmankc (Post 1316821)
SOLVED!!!!!!

1 Click start
2 run
3 type REGEDIT
4 on the left hand side find the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\0x24a82dfc

Take all normal backup precautions before editing registry. It worked for me. Using Vista Home Premium and Outlook 2007 and DM 4.5. This fix was found in the blackberry support forums.

Ken

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y) (y)(y)
My two weeks of frustration are over....Your sooo elegant solution works with Vista Home, Outlook 2007, DM 5.0 beta and Storm .148. In my case the Registry Key Name was HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Synchronize\0x3048af52 with the value "1" changed to "0".
This solution should be a Stiky.

Black_Addict 06-17-2009 02:09 PM

Seriously, you deserve some sort of ****ing award for this sxxx. I have read 1000 posts regarding this issue with no reasonable solutions.

The only difference is that the value in mine (T-Mobile Curve, DM 4.7) was 6 and not 1. I changed it anyways and it works.

You are a god send. Let me know if you are even in Ft. Lauderdale. The beer is on me.

pkaravites 08-25-2009 04:35 PM

new storm same problem question

I noticed this thread has not been updated in a while probably because it has worked for everyone. My problem is this... I have no numbers after synchronize/.... I see a hexidecimal number for the solution but mine does not have one. Help!!!! thanks

W.E.G. 10-27-2009 03:28 PM

I have a brand new Blackberry Tour

I'm getting this infuriating "not connected" message too.

I want to edit my registry, but I'm not seeing a registry item called "state."
I see only four items in the registry associated with "synchronize"
(Default)
Address
Parameters
Type

As if that's not maddening enough, this board won't let me post pics or links without first having 10 posts here.

I really don't want to post 10 mindless posts so I can ask one important question.

Hopefully some one of you with 10 posts can post my registry image.

Please help.

Here is the link to see my registry, but with the letter "h" in http removed.
Add the letter "h" to the photobucket addy.

ttp://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/blackberry/blackberryregistry.jpg

(e.t.a. I'm running Running Desktop Manager version 5.0)

devnull 10-27-2009 04:26 PM

@W.E.G.

expand the "Synchronize" registry key. In other words, click the little "+" sign next to it and see what is under that.

W.E.G. 10-27-2009 06:33 PM

I'll check that out first thing in the morning when I get back to the office.

I'm on a different PC at a different location for the rest of the night.

Thanks for the quick reply!

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 08:31 AM

Looks like I'm still stuck in the swamp.

Here is the link (add the letter "h") for the expanded registry tree as was suggested.

ttp://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/blackberry/blackberryregistry2.jpg

devnull 10-28-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W.E.G. (Post 1496747)
Looks like I'm still stuck in the swamp.

Here is the link (add the letter "h") for the expanded registry tree as was suggested.

ttp://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/blackberry/blackberryregistry2.jpg

I'm at a loss.

You mentioned this is PC is at your office location. Are you perhaps on BES with your company? I don't have much experience with BES if that is so.

Another thing you could try is removing DM 5.0 and trying 4.6 or 4.7. I'm grasping at straws now.

devnull 10-28-2009 09:05 AM

@W.E.G.

Another thing I noticed about stuff in your registry. It appears you installed Desktop Manager *with* the "auto-update" feature enabled.

See this post created by one of the Moderators(John Clark) regarding how to install DM without this feature enabled. Pay very close attention to the parts of the post regarding DM.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-xml-file.html

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devnull (Post 1496773)
I'm at a loss.

You mentioned this is PC is at your office location. Are you perhaps on BES with your company? I don't have much experience with BES if that is so.

Another thing you could try is removing DM 5.0 and trying 4.6 or 4.7. I'm grasping at straws now.

I am not using BES.

My internet comes in over a DSL phone line.

The phone line goes to the DSL modem the phone company provided.

The ethernet line goes from the DSL modem straight into my desktop computer.

I am the only person who has access to this computer.
I clean the toilets, and I sign the 1040's.

The computer is old.
I bought it new in 2003.
I'm running XP Small Office version 10.0.6626.0
I'm running Norton 360 version 2.5.0.5
The Norton firewall is turned on. (Turning it off has no effect.)

I called Sprint to complain about this problem.
The tech guy kept me on the phone for four hours last Thursday.
Infantile stuff like turning off the computer, and turning back on... turning off the firewall... uninstall/re-install Desktop Manager software.

He scheduled an appointment to call me back today at noon to pick up where we left off. He did not call. I called Sprint, and gave them the trouble-ticket number. They were able to pull-up the notes from the Thursday event. The new person recommended I un-install version 5.0 and try version 4.7.

I installed 4.7.
Same problem... says I'm not connected to the internet.

Un-installed 4.7, and installed 4.2 (with service pack 2). Now, Desktop Manager won't even recognize my Blackberry.

Sprint people said they would send an email to the office where the Thursday guy works. That was over two hours ago. No contact.

Ugh.

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:16 PM

OK, I've now re-re-installed DM 4.7

Here is the reject message I get.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...ectmessage.jpg

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:18 PM

The registry for DM 4.7 has two items named "synchronize."
I will post links to them each in a separate post.

(I'll eventually have 10 posts, and then I can actually participate here without one hand tied behind my back. Can an admin just adjust my post count to 10 so I can get with the program?)

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:20 PM

DM 4.7 registry screenshot 1

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...stry47pic1.jpg

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:21 PM

DM 4.7 registry screenshot 1

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...stry47pic2.jpg

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:21 PM

Again, I don't see "state" as any of the choices.

I'm going to un-install 4.7 and try 4.5

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 02:22 PM

post number 10

maybe I can go back and fix those pics now

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 03:41 PM

DM 4.5 won't recognize my Blackberry (as was the case with 4.2.2)

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...tconnected.jpg

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 03:43 PM

I'll now try a custom install of 5.0, installing as few features as it will let me.

Download Details
Software Name: Desktop Manager 5.0.0 B28 English - Without Media Manager
File Name: 500_b028_english_nomediamanager.exe
Download Size: 85.354 MB
Published Date: 07/17/2009

W.E.G. 10-28-2009 04:16 PM

The custom install really doesn't give that many choices.

But importantly it did let me opt-out of the default setting for "automatic update."

The "certifcate synchronization" item was already a red-X setting.
Fine. That suits me.

5.0 is installing now.

I have totally got to leave the office right now.

Will report next time I'm here.

http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/d...stallation.jpg

cwterry 12-08-2009 01:10 PM

State=0 doesn't solve DM requiring Internet for sync

I am still unable to sync. and getting the same message saying the computer is not connected to the Internet.

I have a Storm 9530, 5.0 loaded. DM 5.0. XP, Office 2003.

THis has been working fine in the past. For some reason, it is trying to initialize for the first time again. Perhaps after the upgrades. My last successful sync was 11/17/09.

Help????

EndOfTownFarm 01-05-2010 01:08 AM

Can not configure synchronization

I get the same error message - I had it working using the REGEDIT fix, then upgraded the DTM to 5.x and the problem has returned.

Went to REGEDIT and checked the noted files for Synchronization - and they were both (have two phones) set to State 0. Now here is the interesting part - The version of the DTM I have installed is 5.0.0.8. HOWEVER, in the registry under the Synchronization files, there is a line item titled "VERSION" and the version is listed as 4.7.0.37!!! It seems that the new software failed up update the registry. So does anyone have a fix for this same problem for the 5.x DTM version???

devnull 01-05-2010 01:59 PM

please ignore

EndOfTownFarm 01-05-2010 02:54 PM

Yes - I just checked my OS - I have 5.0.0.328. The only bright spot in all this is that very soon there will be a lot of new phones, softare, and operating systems on the market, and companies like RIM that refuse to fix problems or stand behind their products will quickly disappear. This problem seems to have been around for at least 2 years now with no fix, no acknowledgement. The one fix that was out there (the REGEDIT fix) doesn't work now since it seems that whatever feature was wrong can no longer be found/accessed. Hope someone will come up with a solution soon.

Or perhaps RIM just wanted to claim all kinds of improvements but didn't want anyone to know that it was just vaporware that doesn't really work anyway. Maybe Google will hit a home run with their new phone.

downwitch 01-20-2010 04:24 PM

Very, very frustrated. This is the second computer I have tried the synchronization feature from, with a new Blackberry Curve 8330. On the first, I got the "unknown error reported" error, tried all fixes listed in (blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/129689-intellisync-unknown-error-reported-resolved.html - grrr can't post the link because I don't have enough posts here?) to no avail. Now on this one I'm getting this not-connected message (on the very same computer I'm writing this from, so obviously I'm connected). Have tried every fix in this thread--uninstall/reinstall with auto-update left out, etc. (my registry does not contain the State key, so no luck there).

I've had this phone for nearly 2 weeks, and am about to start adding hundreds of contacts manually, typing what I see on my PC screen into the BBerry contact list like it's 1994, because the software. doesn't. just. work. Infuriating. :x

Bberry Curve 8330
Windows XP SP4
Bberry DM 5.0.1.28 (latest version)