BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Using a 9550 Storm (Verizon) in the UK on O2 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=249287)

JimUK 05-24-2011 01:04 PM

Using a 9550 Storm (Verizon) in the UK on O2

Morning / Afternoon all,

I have a feeling I may have done something a bit silly in buying my Storm 2 9550! :D

I live in the UK, and picked up one of these for a bargain, and it currently has Verizon branded firmware installed (v5.0.0.1015, Bundle 1656, Platform 4.2.0.442)

Question is, if there a generic firmware available that can be flashed onto the device to remove the Verizon bits?

The phone is unlocked network wise (ie. it will connect to the O2 UK mobile network), but there are things that are not quite right, including:
- E-Mail: I can only choose "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise server". Where is the option for Outlook Exchange or POP/IMAP servers?
- Facebook application: First application I tried, but comes up with "You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application..." error message. Again, a conflict with the Verizon firmware and O2?
- Only option for SMS messaging, when I know I can do SMS and MMS.

So is there a way of installing an unbranded UK firmware onto this device? Or have I bought a device this is pretty much useless outside the US? :oops:

Thanks for any pointers......I have installed unbranded firmware on Nokia's in the past, so would have thought there would be a similar system on RIM/Blackberry.....I hope! :D

rossross 11-04-2011 09:26 AM

Re: Using a 9550 Storm (Verizon) in the UK on O2

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimUK (Post 1723459)
Morning / Afternoon all,

I have a feeling I may have done something a bit silly in buying my Storm 2 9550! :D

I live in the UK, and picked up one of these for a bargain, and it currently has Verizon branded firmware installed (v5.0.0.1015, Bundle 1656, Platform 4.2.0.442)

Question is, if there a generic firmware available that can be flashed onto the device to remove the Verizon bits?

The phone is unlocked network wise (ie. it will connect to the O2 UK mobile network), but there are things that are not quite right, including:
- E-Mail: I can only choose "I want to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise server". Where is the option for Outlook Exchange or POP/IMAP servers?
- Facebook application: First application I tried, but comes up with "You are currently on a service plan that does not support this application..." error message. Again, a conflict with the Verizon firmware and O2?
- Only option for SMS messaging, when I know I can do SMS and MMS.

So is there a way of installing an unbranded UK firmware onto this device? Or have I bought a device this is pretty much useless outside the US? :oops:

Thanks for any pointers......I have installed unbranded firmware on Nokia's in the past, so would have thought there would be a similar system on RIM/Blackberry.....I hope! :D

Hi Jim, did you ever get your problems sorted?
I have the same phone, the same version and similar problems.
I should like to activate enterprise server email via sms but cannot!
I do have access to to email via Microsoft client whereas, you dont!

I bought my Storm 9550 from the USA second hand and it still displays the previous owners phone number in the device details within the desktop software.

Have you learned anything useful that might also help me understand my problems?

Sincerely,
Ross Jeal
Mid Wales