BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8200 Series Discussion - Pearl Flip (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=112)
-   -   blackberry 9100 suretype (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=129125)

moorken 05-10-2008 03:44 AM

blackberry 9100 suretype

so RIM again releases an other suretype blackberry. Damn what happened with the purpose to create optimal business smartphones??? (n)
i guess that now that they have a leading position on the business market they try to conquer the world of girls running over the street while SMSing to their friends to subscribe what dress they just bought...
one thing is sure: i will never ever ever buy a suretype blackberry lol 8-)

doe4040 05-10-2008 03:56 AM

Are you describing this 'Kickstart' thing?
Or is this something else?
Link?

JSanders 05-10-2008 06:38 AM

Yes, the Kickstart/9100. It's all personal preference.
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...specs-too.html

doe4040 05-10-2008 06:41 AM

Oh right... i was quite bewildered that they actually made a flip phone (clamshell)
Never thought i'd see that!

banthon 05-10-2008 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorken (Post 924410)
so RIM again releases an other suretype blackberry. Damn what happened with the purpose to create optimal business smartphones??? (n)
i guess that now that they have a leading position on the business market they try to conquer the world of girls running over the street while SMSing to their friends to subscribe what dress they just bought...

This is why RIM offers different types of devices:
  • Suretye (wich I love !!)
  • Full QWERTY (like Curve, 88xx and 9000)
  • Full QWERTY with Slider (BB Storm)
  • and probably a Touchkeyboard in a few month/years

In the near future we´ll see three different product families (sorry about my decription but I think you get the idea) with more that one product in each family
  • Consumer (Kickstart, Pearl),
  • Prosumer (Storm, Curve)
  • and Enterprise (88xx, 9000)

The people want more device variations and the people get it. RIM tries to enter the Prosumer market in a much more resolute way. Aonyone can decide for himself what his (or her) perfect business phone is. everyone has different demands. (I switched from 8800 back to the Curve and then to 8100 and now 8110. I had the chance to go for the 9000 but I decided to stay with the 8110 because it´s the perfect device for me.

I just think tats the way to go for any company that needs for make itselt more valuable at the stock exchange...

ezrunner 05-10-2008 07:23 AM

Wirelessly posted (what does it matter?)

It is all about choice. And market share. I love suretype. I also love full Qwerty

I carry 2 bb's

doe4040 05-10-2008 12:34 PM

I love my 8310 for many reasons, one of these is the QWERTY keyboard, it's such a welcome change to my crappy old T3-afflicted Nokia N70

Sith_Apprentice 05-10-2008 12:36 PM

Storm is supposed to be touchscreen

LinkMobile 05-10-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doe4040 (Post 924435)
Oh right... i was quite bewildered that they actually made a flip phone (clamshell)
Never thought i'd see that!

It has happened before.. Not a RIM device, but a SureType clamshell with BB Connect.

numetheus 05-18-2008 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moorken (Post 924410)

I actually prefer suretype for shorter messages. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty ... and others here will agree. You just have to get used to it. The difference is that I can type fast one handed whereas on a qwerty model there is much more finger travel for one handed typing with smaller keys. BUT, I can't do suretype for typing really long emails for reports. I ended up getting an 8310 because a good portion of the email I write is close to two full pages on my desktop compose window. If my email wasn't that long, which I assume most peoples aren't ... I would have stuck with SureType.

I may go to one for personal use though ... I'm not sure.

numetheus 05-18-2008 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doe4040 (Post 924750)
I love my 8310 for many reasons, one of these is the QWERTY keyboard, it's such a welcome change to my crappy old T3-afflicted Nokia N70

I am willing to bet that I can type just as fast as you or faster with you using a qwerty and me a suretype. Just because YOU can't type fast, doesn't mean the keyboard is crap. That ... is your issue.

I'm sure there are lots of people here that prefer SureType and can type just as fast on one as they could on a Qwerty. Except with the added benefit of fast one handed typing on the go.

dennis from baoding 05-20-2008 12:49 AM

Suretype just suits me well. But I don't like flip ones . For me flip ones are not convenient to use

PowerCell 05-20-2008 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by numetheus (Post 934272)
I actually prefer suretype for shorter messages. I can type just as fast with suretype as I can on a qwerty ... and others here will agree. You just have to get used to it. The difference is that I can type fast one handed whereas on a qwerty model there is much more finger travel for one handed typing with smaller keys...

(y) +1

rachamphetamine 05-20-2008 07:44 PM

Suretype really isn't that awful. I worshipped the T9 text function on my old Motorola from a few years ago because when that's all you have, it's quick and efficient. It learns words and senses what you want to type which is a godsend when you have limited keys to tap out your message on. Sure, it does have a bit of a learning curve - but what technology doesn't these days?

Personally, I am spoiled by the full QWERTY keyboard now thanks to owning two different Sidekicks before my 8800, so I can't imagine switching back. I imagine many BB owners probably feel the same way and that's the cause of the noses turning up at the suretype. But if you are more interested in the compact size of a phone (after all the other important stuff, of course ;) then having a small clamshell phone with suretype and RIM/BB reliability is just another bonus to the whole package of the Kickstart.

ericas8120 05-23-2008 01:01 PM

Been a couple weeks since I posted here but all I can say is that I can't wait for this to release. I know I just bought an 8120 2 weeks ago but this will satisfy my want for a clamshell phone for the times that I don't want the world to know I use a BlackBerry.

satanux 07-15-2008 03:34 PM

suterype sucks... i dont like it...

TallPaul86 07-16-2008 10:08 AM

I think it's quite cool as a back up phone OR a socially acceptable phone... Many a time i've brought out my 8700g in public and the conversation going like this: -

Friends: "Aww well check out smart arse here with his Blackberry!"
Me: "It's a smartphone that can do an amazing amount of stuff, especially messaging and email..."
Friends: "So? Loads of other phones can"
Me: "A-ha but not like a blackberry!"
Friends: "So where's you're Bluetooth headset and your BMW M3 then?"
Me: "I don't get it - have i missed something?"
Friends: "You've become a ****"
Me: "No i haven't!"

And then the ensuing fight that will result - usually won by me because of the 8700g's generous proportions and weight...

Would have to have a wee play about with it first but I'm sure it would be familiar territory being a Blackberry 'n' all

JSanders 07-16-2008 10:10 AM

well i hope you kick their arse.

TallPaul86 07-16-2008 10:19 AM

Yes indeed i do JSanders 8-)

But that is a valid point i have made (if i dare say so myself) regarding social acceptance but then again there's 2 sides of the fence regarding that one - one half of people's will marvel at it being all fancy and upmarket and advanced like if you made the transition from a mainstream car to a low-volume performance car (i.e. Nissan Sentra to Ferrari F430) and the other half wishing you get cancer through sheer envy and jealousy...

Unfortunately for me all my friends are in the latter camp :-P lol

kmccarthy 07-16-2008 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1019410)
well i hope you kick their arse.

+1. You see, a BB is like a small child or a puppy, you must defend it. LOL.