BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New Google Apps And Google Updater (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=106419)

Horizon Wireless 11-24-2007 09:22 PM

New Google Apps And Google Updater

Just went to mobile.google.com and there is a new updater with new versions of the google apps, including an new app alltogether called picasa. Downloading now

Horizon Wireless 11-24-2007 09:24 PM

Also seems like search got a new icon, i kinda like the old one better :oops:

dietcoke 11-25-2007 08:43 AM

I like this much better. Can't stand those rainbow icons behind the actual google icons...

anyway, a dedicated google search app is a welcome addition on my blackberry. It will be interesting to see if google maps actually sticks to the latest release and not 1.5.2.

This will remove the "google services" section in settings on the blackberry. I just installed it right over without issue.

rivviepop 11-25-2007 12:55 PM

What's your actual GMail version, and is this Picasa thing an actual, real app, or just a shortcut link to a website?

jeffmik 11-25-2007 03:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/126)

I see "photos" but nothing called Picasa. Clicking on the photos link takes me to the mobile page of my webalbums.

KendallParis 11-25-2007 08:43 PM

They need a launcher for their Notebook, especially since they've added the ability to make mobile notes. Right now, Google Notebook accepts the rules(auto text, double space makes a period, etc.) you've set on your BlackBerry and with a direct launcher, would be a better option than Unyverse as an online notebook. For me, at least.

camaro322hp 11-26-2007 01:08 PM

I decided to try out the Google Search and Google News "apps". I already have GMail and Google Maps installed.

First of all, they make you install a Mobile Updater. I thought this was no big deal, until I discovered that the updater runs automatically every time I start my BB. And unless I"m missing something, there is no way to stop this from running automatically. There was an option to turn off notification or something like that, but that didn't stop the app from automatically running.

And to put the icing on the cake, both the Google Search and Google News "apps" are simply shortcuts that open in the BB browser. I am capable of adding bookmarks to my bookmark list, thank you very much Google.

Uninstalled it all. Google is usually very good at this stuff, but I'm not impressed with this at all.

DiRN 11-26-2007 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivviepop (Post 751162)
What's your actual GMail version, and is this Picasa thing an actual, real app, or just a shortcut link to a website?

Just like search and news, it's just a shortcut.