BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   needing some iphone help. (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=206328)

DacyJ 10-06-2009 12:28 AM

Wirelessly posted (My name is Bubbles)

Pretty much know that there isn't any forum better than this one so I am asking for some iphone help. I recently got an iphone 2G and went to update to the 3.1 software and I'm having trouble. Every time I download the new update in itunes, when it gets done it vanishes and I can't find it. Also my iphone shows the usb cable pointing to the itunes icon, I think that is safe mode. If I don't boot it in safe mode the phone simply turns off seconds after the apple icon appears. I don't have a clue what to do and any input would be greatly appreciated.

ezrunner 10-06-2009 06:39 AM

Wirelessly posted (overwhelmingly stressed)

Dacy you realize I am certain that this is a BB forum right?

Wish I could help man but I have no idea

DacyJ 10-06-2009 01:11 PM

Oh yeah I know its a BB forum, iphone forums blow, they should take a look at this forum and take notes, atleast I haven't found any that compair to this one. I'm sending the iphone to horizon and Steve is going to take a look at it for me. He said it would be just under 12,000 bucks to fix it which is a bargain so its off to Canada.

Christie83 10-06-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DacyJ (Post 1483894)

Pretty much know that there isn't any forum better than this one so I am asking for some iphone help. I recently got an iphone 2G and went to update to the 3.1 software and I'm having trouble. Every time I download the new update in itunes, when it gets done it vanishes and I can't find it. Also my iphone shows the usb cable pointing to the itunes icon, I think that is safe mode. If I don't boot it in safe mode the phone simply turns off seconds after the apple icon appears. I don't have a clue what to do and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dacy, try the AT&T Wireless Forums. They seem to stay pretty busy, and there are a lot of knowledgeable folks. Apple - Wireless Forums from AT&T

I just traded my 2g in for a 3g. I did not experience this problem with my 2g. I suggest restoring the phone and trying again - just make sure to back up your phone before you restore. If that doesn't fix it, I would call AT&T. They may point you to the Genius Bar. But I am really not that much of a phone guru.

I'm not sure if you know, but (*looking at your profile, where it says your carrier is AT&T*) AT&T has a deal right now where you can get a refurbished 8gb iphone 3g for $49.99 (along with a 2 year contract extension) if you are eligible for an upgrade. If you are interested in this, check your upgrade status on AT&T's website; I know having a 2g used to automatically update the eligibility status... I recommend taking advantage of that price, if you can.

Hate to say it, but, the life of the 2gs are probably dwindling for the most part. That's one reason I took advantage of the deal. My phone was 2 years old and I knew it would eventually poop out. Also, the 2g doesn't get the MMS update; only the 3g and 3gs do.

Good luck! Let us know how it works out.

ArgonNJ 10-07-2009 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DacyJ (Post 1483894)
Also my iphone shows the usb cable pointing to the itunes icon

That usually indicates the phone is un-activated. Did you buy the phone off of someone. An un-activated iphone can't do anything until the device is activated with ATT service through itunes.

test54 10-08-2009 02:32 PM

Usually when you see the usb thing on the phone you just need to leave it plugged in for a few seconds and it will begin either updating or it will finish updating. Its very automated usually, just download and install and let it sit for 5 or 10 min and everything will be done.

usually.

*and as Argon says the USB symbol means its not activated but within a few seconds after that it gets the appropriate info from iTunes and activates itself again. Its normal for a software update.