BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Linux Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   VMware 6.5 Beta (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=146204)

sternebrau 08-21-2008 02:05 AM

VMware 6.5 Beta

I just installed the VMware 6.5 beta under Ubuntu Hardy, installed Desktop Manager, and synced over USB. This version natively supports USB pass through, so no more using VirtualBox & a bluetooth dongle. Good deal.

rivviepop 08-22-2008 12:18 PM

Great news! What BB DM version did you use in your VM? Windows XP or Vista guest OS?

sternebrau 08-22-2008 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rivviepop (Post 1070821)
Great news! What BB DM version did you use in your VM? Windows XP or Vista guest OS?

Using the latest DM 4.6, XP SP2.

Vista? Are you crazy?! :razz:

Schwin97 08-22-2008 03:15 PM

I have 6.5 installed to and I still can't get the blackberry to link up correctly. Not sure, but for some reason I think udev is killing me in this one case (normally I love udev since it makes my life so much easier). Was there anything you did within vmware to set it up to allow the connection?

Thanks!

sternebrau 09-11-2008 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwin97 (Post 1071079)
I have 6.5 installed to and I still can't get the blackberry to link up correctly. Not sure, but for some reason I think udev is killing me in this one case (normally I love udev since it makes my life so much easier). Was there anything you did within vmware to set it up to allow the connection?

Thanks!

Sorry for taking so long to get back. I was on the road for a couple weeks.

I didn't have anything special set up on the vmware config. Here's a screenshot of the USB section. Everything just kind of worked..

blakeatl 09-11-2008 05:56 PM

So vmware is now better than virtualbox?

sternebrau 09-11-2008 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeatl (Post 1096820)

It's hard to say. VirtualBox just recently released 2.0, and I have not yet had a chance to test it out.

blakeatl 09-11-2008 06:40 PM

I just installed Mint 5.0 and I have the new virtualbox. Had no idea how to move my XP vdi file to another partition, so I bit the bullet and lost it all. Vmware sounds a little more interesting now though.

sternebrau 09-11-2008 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeatl (Post 1096859)
I just installed Mint 5.0 and I have the new virtualbox. Had no idea how to move my XP vdi file to another partition, so I bit the bullet and lost it all. Vmware sounds a little more interesting now though.

Yes, vmware seems to be adding some much needed features - hardware based graphics acceleration. Unfortunately neither of my cards are supported yet, but I'm hopeful..

prescottspies 09-14-2008 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blakeatl (Post 1096820)

virtualbox is free.....

berry much 09-16-2008 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prescottspies (Post 1099572)
virtualbox is free.....

they both offer free versions, however virtualbox also makes an open source edition, which as we all know is even better than free (y)

P.S. virtualbox OSE does not support USB passthrough, but the free edition does, anyone try both VB and VMware to compare on this issue?

Schwin97 09-17-2008 03:40 PM

Udev rules

I believe the udev is quickly grabbing the blackberry and linking it with usb-storage. And then I cannot remove usb-storage to release the blackberry thus allowing vmware to grab it. Not exactly sure...

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

sternebrau 09-17-2008 05:37 PM

You're probably right about that udev. I forgot that I have password security enabled on my 8310, so any time a machine tries to gain mass storage access, you have to enter a password on the device. If you hit escape when the password prompt pops up, mass storage is disabled.

Try enabling the password through Options > Security Options > General Settings

Once security is enabled, try again with vmware.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schwin97 (Post 1104377)
I believe the udev is quickly grabbing the blackberry and linking it with usb-storage. And then I cannot remove usb-storage to release the blackberry thus allowing vmware to grab it. Not exactly sure...

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it!

Schwin97 09-19-2008 10:34 AM

Still can't do it

Still having issues with getting things connected. I have security enabled, and have escaped from the password to allow mass storage access - still doesn't show up.

I was using 4.3 Desktop client, and thought that may be the issue so I upgraded to 4.6 and I still don't have any luck. I blacklisted usb_storage hoping that would allow the passthrough of the usb to the vmware image - also no luck...

So... If you have any other ideas I would love to hear them.

Thanks!