BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Aftermarket Software (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   AvantGo: Good News. . . Bad News (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=6744)

mboltcocacola 04-18-2005 07:46 AM

AvantGo: Good News. . . Bad News

The good news is AvantGo is now available for Blackberry. The bad news is that an HTML Browser is required. Has anyone had success using this yet? How is it?

dougp 04-18-2005 08:07 AM

What works with AvantGo

Trying it now, but can't get the final browser connection to work. I'll drift into the AvantGo website and see if there are any suggestions.

from AvantGo:

Make sure that your device is enabled for HTML web browsing (some carriers offer only WML/WAP browsing). If your carrier does not support HTML web browsing, HTML browsing may be turned on through your corporate BlackBerry server (BES) when the Mobile Data Service (MDS) feature is turned on. Contact your company's IT department to inquire.

The following is a status list(as of 4/15/05) for North American carriers. Carriers marked "yes" support HTML web browsing without the Blackberry device being paired to a corporate BlackBerry server with the MDS feature turned on.

Cingular - No; expected soon

Bell Mobility - Yes

Nextel - No; expected soon

Rogers - Yes

Sprint - Yes

T-Mobile - Yes 7100 only 7290 planned

Verizon - Yes

ScOObydoo 04-18-2005 08:50 AM

I am reminded again why I dislike AvantGo so much. This is nothing more than an icon and a bookmark with webbased AvantGo, it is slow as heck (on a 7290 with IBB service), the content is ALL online and not offline like AvantGo has always been, there is no way to "sync" all the pages either.

This is about as useless as a fart in a spacesuit.

Batovato 04-25-2005 05:30 PM

BB HTML Browser

I upgraded my BB software to the most recent release and the HTML browser icon showed up. Upgraded from the 7510 to the 7520 a few weeks ago and lost the html browser that showed up after the 4.0 upgrade on my 7510. The browser is awesome. MUCH, MUCH better than reqwireless. Supports OTA downloads.
Had to uninstall current BB software through control panel/addremove programs. Installed newest BB release and waited for an hour for the NEXTEL logo screen to go away, did not go away so i took battery out for 1 min and re-inserted. When it booted back up the HTML browser was there. SWEEET!!

Again i say the BB browser is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than reqwireless. :-o

Dawg 04-25-2005 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Batovato
I upgraded my BB software to the most recent release and the HTML browser icon showed up. Upgraded from the 7510 to the 7520 a few weeks ago and lost the html browser that showed up after the 4.0 upgrade on my 7510. The browser is awesome. MUCH, MUCH better than reqwireless. Supports OTA downloads.
Had to uninstall current BB software through control panel/addremove programs. Installed newest BB release and waited for an hour for the NEXTEL logo screen to go away, did not go away so i took battery out for 1 min and re-inserted. When it booted back up the HTML browser was there. SWEEET!!

Again i say the BB browser is MUCH MUCH MUCH better than reqwireless. :-o

so you too are on a BB7520 from nextel and have the html browser also

dl1 04-25-2005 07:36 PM

I installed it and it refused to connect to the Avantgo Service due to corporate firewall issues.

teskew 04-25-2005 07:48 PM

I agree with Scoob. You might as well just skip Avantgo and individually subscribe to the websites/information that you want. That's what I did.

WNO 04-25-2005 09:48 PM

Scoob and Theresa, I'm with you both; can't see the point of AvantGo for BB. Sort of liked it for the Palm, though. Theresa, out of curiosity, how do you go about individually subscribing to the websites/info that you want? I've been using Berry Bloglines, but always interested in what other users have found worthwhile.

teskew 04-25-2005 10:55 PM

Sure W, basically I just go to the source to sign up for alerts/news/info. A few of my subscriptions are: www.cnn.com for breaking news, www.weather.com for the weather forecast delivered everyday, daily computer news from www.pcworld.com, daily Dallas, Texas news from www.dallasnews.com, daily haiku from www.tinywords.com & my daily horoscope from www.astrology.com.

Then (as if that isn't enough!?) I went to Avantgo looked at their content...if a site interested me then I just went straight to the site to subscribe (like Reuters or CNN) instead of using Avantgo as my cybermiddleman.

Hope that helped!!

WNO 04-26-2005 02:49 PM

Theresa, got it, thanks!

teskew 04-27-2005 04:13 PM

I did get set up with Berrybloglines just to see what it's like...I know this is silly (we all have our quirks) but I don't like having to login to the Berry News browser to get news, etc. I like having all my subscriptions show up in my inbox so I can read them right then.

macberry12 06-17-2005 11:05 AM

subscribing to CNN alerts

This may be a stupid question...but one I'll ask anyway... did you just have the CNN news alerts emailed to your BB email acct? or just forwarded from a separate email address? :smile:

teskew 06-17-2005 03:18 PM

Not stupid, Mac....I have all my subscriptions sent to the email address that I have forwarded to my BB (my gmail acct). The other email address I use, I POP to BWC for personal emails (sbcglobal.net).