BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   Nav4All v8.0.74 Released (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=154496)

Elrohir59 10-12-2008 03:36 PM

Nav4All v8.0.74 Released

Available from http://www.nav4all.com/install. I do not know what the changes or updates are.

Elrohir59

dlpisgreat 10-13-2008 08:23 AM

Thanks for that. It now connects to my external GPS puck on my 8100 with OS 4.5

It couldn't find a GPS device before.

dude33333 10-13-2008 02:37 PM

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU. it actually works!!! the puck actually syncs up with it on my 8320 and BT359 gps puck.

now that Nav4All is working for me, I can say that I think its much more reliable easy to use than AmazeGPS. great program for free!

ubizmo 10-13-2008 08:16 PM

Yes, although I did manage to get it to work with my Freedom Keychain puck before, I had to use the "LAPI" menu to do so. Now it pairs up with the puck through the appropriate GPS Settings menu. And I'd add that startup time is much reduced. I turn on the puck, start up Nav4all, and within seconds I'm ready to go. A very nice upgrade for those of us using external GPS receivers.

BES-AdMin 10-14-2008 11:26 AM

Question on Nav4all

I just recently installed on 8830 4.5 and the GPS is not working at all I have read your comments on LAPI but where is that setting so I could change that as well any help

thanks (y)

dude33333 10-14-2008 07:14 PM

its definitely not perfect, especially for back roads. as someone else said its nice to just have in the back ground and use google maps too, although im finding that googlemaps doesnt wanna lock with my GPS while Nav4All is running.

but use Nav4All within 5 minutes of your destination than use google maps to see exactly where your supposed to go. Its great for highways and main roads though.

I like the speed and compass features

press "0" and it gives you a map, although not nearly as nice as google maps.

it came default to say "Pay Attention!" whenever i exceeded the speed limit, I turned that feature off right away...

FF2 10-14-2008 11:55 PM

I could not quite figure out what its various screens/icons were about. Near the bottom right I noticed an F4. As I was driving along I-5, it would show an intersection with numbers on various legs. I expected to go STRAIGHT but it would show Black Arrow heading off or was that just an intersection and the White (main I-5) the route?

Their website did not appear to have any documentation showing screen or legend info.

dlpisgreat 10-15-2008 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF2 (Post 1136817)
I could not quite figure out what its various screens/icons were about. Near the bottom right I noticed an F4. As I was driving along I-5, it would show an intersection with numbers on various legs. I expected to go STRAIGHT but it would show Black Arrow heading off or was that just an intersection and the White (main I-5) the route?

Their website did not appear to have any documentation showing screen or legend info.

F4 = Prefer no highways. It is found from the Main Screen under Driving Style.

I don't have any documentation, just remember playing around with that value until I found something that I liked in regards to planning routes without really taking me out of the way.

Like, I'm on an East - West bound road. The nav software would want me to go south one road to the next East - West road to meet up with the same road that I'm on now. When it wanted me to go north, it was farther west than I wanted to go, because I would have to go back east again to get home. Something like that.

If I was in unfamiliar territory, I would follow it pretty religiously, unless the signage is telling me something differently.

Elrohir59 10-15-2008 10:21 PM

Letter about Nav4All v8.0.74

Well, folks, it turns out we shouldn't be surprised.

I just received an email from nav4All saying that their latest version only matters to you if you have an external GPS puck (like a KeyChain).

Elrohir59

ubizmo 10-16-2008 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BES-AdMin (Post 1135979)
I just recently installed on 8830 4.5 and the GPS is not working at all I have read your comments on LAPI but where is that setting so I could change that as well any help

thanks (y)

It's in the Nav4all Settings menu, under GPS. I don't know what LAPI means, but in the previous version I had to use the LAPI option to get it to work at all. In this updated version, 8.0.74, you don't have to do it this way, or at least I didn't. I used the regular GPS setting and it paired okay with my Freedom Keychain puck.

I agree that Nav4all is far from perfect, but I've found it easier to use than AmazeGPS, the other free option. I have no problem running Google Maps while Nav4all is running, so if Nav4all gets lost, I pull up Google Maps to get a heading until Nav4all finds its way again. If Google Maps ever has spoken turn-by-turn directions (as I suspect they will), I'll no doubt use it exclusively, and so will a lot of other people.

Bobber 10-22-2008 06:51 AM

The Map I.Q. of Nav4all is pretty low. I use Microsoft Live and it generally routes me intelligently. While Nav4all fails, even with all its driving styles.

Elrohir59 10-22-2008 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobber (Post 1144058)
The Map I.Q. of Nav4all is pretty low. I use Microsoft Live and it generally routes me intelligently. While Nav4all fails, even with all its driving styles.

Bobber,

It's good that you can use Windows Live. I cannot because my carrier is Bell Mobility and it appears WLS doesn't work on this carrier.

Yes, Nav4All is not very sophisticated. For my purposes, though, it works alright. I also use amAzeGPS and that also works for me. If I can make an analogy, I consider amAzeGPS to be Windows 3.11 and Nav4All DOS 3.0. One is prettier than the other, but both work.

Elrohir59

Bobber 10-22-2008 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elrohir59 (Post 1144698)
Bobber,

It's good that you can use Windows Live. I cannot because my carrier is Bell Mobility and it appears WLS doesn't work on this carrier.

Yes, Nav4All is not very sophisticated. For my purposes, though, it works alright. I also use amAzeGPS and that also works for me. If I can make an analogy, I consider amAzeGPS to be Windows 3.11 and Nav4All DOS 3.0. One is prettier than the other, but both work.

Elrohir59

I agree Amaze routes much better, I had to many pains with Amaze (headache) , but at least they are both free for now.

dude33333 10-23-2008 07:40 PM

The numbers next to the arrows indicate how many lanes there are, beware, as this has been incorrect for me at least one time.

The routes definitely aren't perfect and it doesn't handle the "jughandles" in new jersey very well. But generally if you just follow what it says you get there in decent time. It reroutes fairly quickly, and finds a gas station easily, but sometimes it gets stuck in gas station mode.

I love how it automatically detects the light and turns to "night mode" when it gets dark... it even appears to have a tunnel mode hahaha.

I plug my BB in to charge it and press "8" while nav4all is running to keep the screen on.

dude33333 10-31-2008 09:47 PM

anyone else notice that the miles to next direction go from 2.15 to 2.11 to 2.5 to 1.99 and from 1.12 to 1.6 to 0.99 to 0.97 just a funny little glitch that happens everysingle time for me

JeeBee 01-16-2009 12:18 PM

My firewall is triggered when using the Nav4all, it comes up with a message about sms service and incomming sms service. Only when I check the option and then click "ok" they don't come back.

My question is: do I have to worry about sms traffic that won't go out on my normal network? Is that even possible? If it does I get a huge bill from my provider and I don't want that.

[IFC]Area51 02-25-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeeBee (Post 1249652)
My firewall is triggered when using the Nav4all, it comes up with a message about sms service and incomming sms service. Only when I check the option and then click "ok" they don't come back.

My question is: do I have to worry about sms traffic that won't go out on my normal network? Is that even possible? If it does I get a huge bill from my provider and I don't want that.

It has now been updated to 9.0.

way much better search capability. KUDOS for the update.(y)

chipseta 04-24-2009 11:00 AM

Somebody with Curve 8310 and this software?