BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   8820 Google Maps Download Problem - solved (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=91651)

rawm 08-22-2007 07:53 AM

8820 Google Maps Download Problem - solved

At the moment it seems it's not possible to download the right version of Google Maps directly to a BB 8820 using the Google Maps link. The link doesn't recognize the 8820 and it downloads a 'generic' Google Maps version which doesn't run on the 8820.

Solution: point your 8820 Browser to the following link and you will download the 8800 version which runs on the 8820:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6.1/L1/gmaps-BlackBerry-8800_v4_2_L1.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=8800+v4+2&v er=v1.6.1

Stinsonddog 08-22-2007 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawm (Post 641168)
At the moment it seems it's not possible to download the right version of Google Maps directly to a BB 8820 using the Google Maps link. The link doesn't recognize the 8820 and it downloads a 'generic' Google Maps version which doesn't run on the 8820.

Solution: point your 8820 Browser to the following link and you will download the 8800 version which runs on the 8820:

http://www.google.com/gmm/apps/v1.6....4+2&ver=v1.6.1

But does the GPS work. Reported that ATT locked it down. Yes or no?

dmacd 08-22-2007 08:26 AM

Using the 8820 on Orange UK and I also noticed the official Google Maps link didn't work The new link above works for me- Google Maps is now up and running.

Thanks

lilitiki 08-22-2007 08:43 AM

The gps is crippled only on the curve...

rawm 08-23-2007 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog (Post 641207)
But does the GPS work. Reported that ATT locked it down. Yes or no?

GPS works. I'm on CSL1010 Network in Hong Kong.

gibber9583 08-23-2007 08:08 AM

Funny that you say GPS is crippled on the curve....It doesnt actually have it.

lilitiki 08-23-2007 08:15 AM

I guess I said that wrong... they took away the ability of their software to allow the curve to use the gps bluetooth puck - which were were able to do BEFORE the recent upgrade. Crippled is indeed the wrong word.

t

hamish jnr 08-23-2007 10:08 AM

I am on 8820 on Orange UK and the above worked like a charm. You are a superstar and many pints or beer are owed to you, thanks

dazzlingboy 08-27-2007 05:45 PM

Orange UK here too - argh!

Got the above link to work perfectly thanks - downloaded the software but when I try to run it, it loads up to "4" then hangs for ages - eventually I get the error message "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" and that's it - no further action!

Any help welcome thanks!

Frustrating - part of the reason I went for the 8820 was the GPS function but so far can't use it!

Thanks

DB

PS what about BlackBerry Maps? Can't get them either!

dmacd 08-27-2007 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlingboy (Post 647503)

Got the above link to work perfectly thanks - downloaded the software but when I try to run it, it loads up to "4" then hangs for ages - eventually I get the error message "Uncaught exception:java.lang.NullPointerException" and that's it - no further action!

Any help welcome thanks!

Frustrating - part of the reason I went for the 8820 was the GPS function but so far can't use it!

Thanks

DB

dazzlingboy, there is a way to get Blackberry Maps working on an 8820 from Orange UK. See http://www.blackberryforums.com/gps-...lackberry.html

I followed the instructions there and was able to get it working.
Why does Orange UK disable Blackberry Maps? I think I found out why. If you go to the browser on the BB and look at the bookmarks you should find under WAP bookmarks something call 'GPS Navigation'. It allows you to install something called 'Orange Sat Nav' by webraska. `It costs £95 (180US) for three years of use and does maps and navigation. The £95 does not include GPRS charges of course- its just extra money Orange feels you as a customer should pay for the privilege of GPS navigation!

GiantDave 08-31-2007 02:06 PM

I have a 8100 (pearl) and i noticed u had a link to the google maps forhe 8800. Where can i find a link for the 8100? I would really like to have it on my phone.I dont have a data plan and i plan to download maps directly off the google maps to my PC and load them onto my blackberry so i can have them stored in memory.

JRSCCivic98 08-31-2007 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GiantDave (Post 652204)
I have a 8100 (pearl) and i noticed u had a link to the google maps forhe 8800. Where can i find a link for the 8100? I would really like to have it on my phone.I dont have a data plan and i plan to download maps directly off the google maps to my PC and load them onto my blackberry so i can have them stored in memory.

That's not going to work.

A BB with no data plan is like a scuba tank without any air in it.

dazzlingboy 09-03-2007 06:38 AM

Well - progress of a kind!

Did John Clark's magic trick (thanks John!) and BB Maps works fine - tells me what speed I'm doin and everything HOWEVER!!

BB Maps is not downloading the maps and so i get the diagonal line thing showing that no map downloaded.

So the app is up and running, but not automatically downloading the map data.

What to do now!!??:cry:

dmacd 09-03-2007 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlingboy (Post 654172)
Well - progress of a kind!

Did John Clark's magic trick (thanks John!) and BB Maps works fine - tells me what speed I'm doin and everything HOWEVER!!

BB Maps is not downloading the maps and so i get the diagonal line thing showing that no map downloaded.

So the app is up and running, but not automatically downloading the map data.

What to do now!!??:cry:

Goto Options -> Advanced Options-> TCP -> APN

and enter: orangeinternet

dazzlingboy 09-03-2007 07:53 AM

Thanks - username and password required?

DB

dmacd 09-03-2007 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlingboy (Post 654215)
Thanks - username and password required?

DB

Not in orange. APN alone should do the trick..

dazzlingboy 09-03-2007 09:14 AM

Up and running! Superb thanks.

deepak007 09-05-2007 06:19 PM

BBMaps and Google maps

Hey guys, neither google maps nor blackberry maps work on wifi, how do you fix that? any ideas??

dmacd 09-05-2007 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deepak007 (Post 657050)
Hey guys, neither google maps nor blackberry maps work on wifi, how do you fix that? any ideas??

I don't think either will work on wifi - I have tried to fiddle with the options but to no avail. Considering the cost of data in the UK I can't see using either application for navigation - at least not for a trip of any significant distance.

There are some applications being developed that might be cheaper to use like TrackMyJourney (TrackMyJourney - Live GPS Tracking) that seem to be based on maps you can store on your sd card.

mrjarvisandrews 10-12-2007 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzlingboy (Post 647503)

Any help welcome thanks!

Thanks

DB

I have the exact same probel witht eh new link, any ideas? Please Help.