BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Curve 8900: White Screen of Death (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=249176)

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 04:35 PM

Curve 8900: White Screen of Death

My Curve keeps crashing about twice a day. I have 111,050,299 bytes of free space, and I haven't downloaded any fancy apps.

Today I tried to use the camera, then it gave me the WSOD. I pulled the battery out and reinserted it. Then it gave me a white screen with a clock, then it went blank again. I tried this several times, but no luck :-(

I plugged in my Curve to the wall charger, then it said my battery was 20% full. Before the crash, it was 90% full. Is my software fried or do I need a new battery?

aiharkness 05-21-2011 07:40 PM

Re: Curve 8900: White Screen of Death

Is there any message on the screen, or is it solid white with nothing at all?

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:14 PM

It's a white screen devoid of any messages :-(

aiharkness 05-21-2011 08:25 PM

There is no software fix for the total white screen that occurs when the blackberry otherwise seems ok seems ok except for the screen (i.e. boots up, connects to Desktop Manager, can be wiped and OS reinstalled, but still total white screen).

Dubdub 05-21-2011 08:28 PM

Try a battery pull. If that doesn't work, you can try to wipe with Jl_cmdr (see the FAQ) and then reload the OS (see the sticky at the top of the 8900 section).

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:29 PM

So are you saying that it is a battery problem?

aiharkness 05-21-2011 08:33 PM

No. A battery pull with the power on is a hard reset. It fixes many weird problems. Its is typically the first trouble shooting step. There is a chance it will solve your problem. But if you are seeing the total white screen that is a hardware failure then it will not fix it.

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:36 PM

Right, and in my case I tried the battery pull several times, but didn't work. I guess it is my phone, and replacing my battery with a new one won't do much?

aiharkness 05-21-2011 08:38 PM

I am curious how you read the battery charge with the all white screen.

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1722918)
Try a battery pull. If that doesn't work, you can try to wipe with Jl_cmdr (see the FAQ) and then reload the OS (see the sticky at the top of the 8900 section).

I've had this phone for two days now, and in that time I really haven't done much with the phone. Do you still see installing a new OS as an option? Thanks.

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:41 PM

Like I said, when I plugged the phone in to the wall charger, the white screen disappearered and gave me back the screen.
Plugging it in to the charger seems to be the only way to solve this problem for now. However, the WSOD appears too frequently that it's really starting to bug me out.

aiharkness 05-21-2011 08:42 PM

It is not going to hurt.

I have been down this road. And so have others. Do a search.

But who knows. Maybe what you are seeing is software. So give it a try.

Berrypalucis 05-21-2011 08:45 PM

Do you mean reinstalling a new OS?

aiharkness 05-21-2011 08:50 PM

Yes. Wipe with JL_CMDER and then re-install the OS.

I'm aware of one other member who had intermittant white screen. Everyone else had constant white screen. The one time I've seen it personally it was constant. But in all cases, it was hardware.

But, wiping and re-installing the OS won't cost you anything but time. Give a try. Who knows, maybe what you are seeing is software. Probably not, but re-installing the OS will rule out a software problem.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

nickdanger 09-18-2011 12:09 AM

I have had this problem with my Curve 8530, I reinstalled the OS, pulled the battery etc. I noticed it never crashed when it was plugged into the charger so I thought the internal power supply might be the problem as the info I had on batteries seemed to be if they could hold a charge they were not the problem. However, it appears that while it could hold a charge when an demand was placed on it it would fail. I thought a new battery would be worth the try exp since I could get one for 10 dollars. Voila all is well in my blackberry world. I talked a guy at the phone store who did not even suggest it and I have not come across it in my net searches. Hopefully good phones have not been discarded.

nickdanger 09-18-2011 12:11 AM

I solved my problem with a new battery when all else had failed. Even if your battery holds a charge it might not have enough amperage ( I am guessing) to meet a demand on it. Sorry for posting similar twice, I had an error message on first. Unclear how to delete posts.