BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   WiFi icon greyed out with no data service? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=198432)

L3stat 07-23-2009 11:04 PM

WiFi icon greyed out with no data service?

Hi guys, I've noticed something strange, wondering if you know what's happening. For some reason, I'm using my Bold without a data service for a few days, and noticed that the WiFi icon is greyed out (used to be solid when I had a data service SIM card). This happens for my home and office WiFi. And even after using the hotspot browser to "log in", the icon stays greyed.

Just today, when I switched to a data SIM card borrowed from my IT guys, the WiFi icon became solid again. Is there a reason why?

Also, is it a requirement to do the hotspot log in before the WiFi connection is used? Supposing I have 3G and WiFi coverage and am connected to WiFi (like at home or in office), does the Blackberry automatically choose the faster network, or would I have to do the hotspot log in manually to trigger the WiFi connection?

miamirulz29 07-24-2009 01:10 AM

The blackberry would choose the faster connection however I don't know why the wifi icon would be greyed out only if your data was off.

L3stat 07-24-2009 01:17 AM

Thanks! Yes it's very puzzling. When the icon's greyed out, I could still do the hotspot log in, and surf using the hotspot browser, but the icon would stay greyed out all the time. Only with the data-enabled SIM would be icon be solid.

If I check under "Manage Connections", it would show that the WiFi network is connected, but on the RHS where you'd expect to see a green tick (for connected), I see a dash. Strange, but hotspot browser still works then.

JW021979 07-24-2009 08:21 AM

The WIFI icon goes white to show you have a Blackberry connection. You wont get a white icon unless you have a Blackberry enabled SIM in the phone.

NewAgeOutlaw 07-24-2009 09:43 AM

My Coworker is having this exact problem with her Bold. Any help would be appriciated.

wim.decuypere 07-24-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JW021979 (Post 1436393)
The WIFI icon goes white to show you have a Blackberry connection. You wont get a white icon unless you have a Blackberry enabled SIM in the phone.

The solution to my problem to.

Mandel 07-30-2009 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wim.decuypere (Post 1436451)
The solution to my problem to.

...and same here.

I have noticed that when the icon is greyed, you can still browse the web in wi-fi, but can't sue some other applications that require data. -- I may be wrong, but that's my impression.

hrbuckley 07-30-2009 09:58 AM

There are four states for the Wi-Fi icon:
1. Icon not visible: Wi-Fi radio is off.

2. Icon is gray, no access point name is displayed: Wi-Fi radio is on but not connected.

3. Icon is gray, access point name displayed: Wi-Fi is connected to the named hotspot, but is not (yet) connected to RIM via the Wi-Fi. There are a number of reasons for this, but not having a Blackberry data plan with appropriate SIM is a big one. In this state the Hotspot Browser (and some other applications) can use Wi-Fi to connect to what ever the hotspot allows, hopefully the Internet but maybe an internal corporate network.

4. Icon is white, access point name displayed: Wi-Fi is connected to the named hotspot and a connection has been made to RIM. In this state all BIS/BES traffic will use Wi-Fi/Internet for the leg between RIM and the Blackberry instead of the wireless provider's towers. There is also a special case for this state. If the Blackberry is activated on a BES, and it is able to connect to the BES through the hotspot, the Icon will also be white.

Clues as to why a Blackberry is in a particular state can be gotten from the Wi-Fi Diagnostics. Select Manage Connections -> Wi-Fi Options, Menu -> Wi-Fi Tools -> Wi-Fi Diagnostics. There is also Site Survey, Ping and DNS Lookup available for your investigative pleasure.

Enjoy.

Mandel 07-30-2009 10:06 AM

Thanks. for once I read a clear description of the differences of that various conditions. My frustration is lately the inability to move from situation 3 to 4, as per your description.

It used to usually always be in state 4, but since a couple of days, my icon is only sticking to grey.

Anything you think I could do to resolve? -- Incidentally, I am on BIS.

Thanks

hrbuckley 07-30-2009 04:59 PM

Question 1: Is it just one hotspot, or several/all?

This is where those diagnostic tools come in handy.

The first one to try is Wi-Fi Diagnostics. If you don't understand what is there, use the option to email the results. If you email them to yourself then copy and past them here we can have a look at them. Or you can PM them to me if you don't want the data made that public.