BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9900 Series Discussion - Bold Touch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158)
-   -   Goodbye, BlackBerry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=265981)

bimmerdriver 04-11-2014 08:47 PM

Goodbye, BlackBerry

Haven't been around much lately, but thought I'd stop in to say goodbye. On Monday, I'll no longer be a BlackBerry user. I started with a Pearl 8100, then switched to a Bold 9700, and finally to a Bold 9900. I was expecting to switch over to BB10, but the company is moving away from BlackBerry to iOS or Android using Citrix Worx. I hate Apple so I'll be getting a Samsung GS5. Good luck to everyone, including BlackBerry.

rambo47 04-13-2014 12:54 PM

Re: Goodbye, BlackBerry

This corporate BYOD trend is one of the factors destroying BlackBerry. Corporations love BlackBerry for the security and the ability to lock down corporate issued devices. But users, including CEOs and Presidents, have chaffed at the restrictions. And while some deployment environments allow for locking down iOS and Android devices, many companies either don't lock them down as tightly by choice or out of ignorance.

I'm using an iPhone now because I'm out of the corporate world (finally!) and because the rest of my family is using them. It's just easier this way. Plus I'm a Mac user and the constant need to find workarounds to get my BlackBerry to do what an iPhone does natively just wore me out.

Bacchus15 04-17-2014 11:03 PM

Also one of those who jumped ship, some of my apps are no longer working with my BB9900 the dev drop support for BB and other annoyance made me change to a SG Note 3. But i know that i'll never get the experience i got by bridging my BB9900 and my playbook (yes still have one and work fine!)

And with the rumors about the companiy going out of the smartphone business does not help...

knottyrope 04-18-2014 07:19 AM

there is no rumor of going out of the smart phone business

the news sites took that out of context from what Chen said

There is a 5 year plan

tsac 04-18-2014 08:58 PM

ATT has a 5 year plan also. dump the wireline and go all cell. It used to be the executives drinking the koolaid killed off people but now it just makes them stupid.

NJBlackBerry 04-19-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knottyrope (Post 1811640)
there is no rumor of going out of the smart phone business

the news sites took that out of context from what Chen said

There is a 5 year plan

Any intelligent CEO doing a massive turnaround from a failing business has to look at every part and decide if it should continue. He wasn't misquoted. People just didn't like what he said.

I sat in New York at the enterprise business event 10 days ago "The BlackBerry Experience".

All about eBBM, BES, MDM and BES, Literally five minutes on devices. They know what they have to do. It was a very good presentation - almost Gartner-like - with no cheering, people getting their haircut or new BlackBerrys to be seen. They showed pushing apps down to iPhones, iPads and Androids. Managing devices for highly regulated businesses.

No discussion on devices. They have nothing to talk about. It would not surprise me one bit if they continued to be deemphasized.

tsac 04-19-2014 09:05 AM

But if they only have apps and the cell market is loaded with apps will they survive?
Business is lazy and wants the easy way to support phones and manageing the BES or other devices cost people and money. Granted they will lose security on other devices. My company is pushing anything but Blackberry and is now after finding big security holes pushing Mobile Iron on all but BB in an effort to both control and secure the devices. Blackberry never had those issues and Blackberry should push that including
BED/BIS secured devices. IMHO.