BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   WiFi HotZone (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   Connection to Wi-Fi Router (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=249767)

mactube 06-05-2011 09:39 AM

Connection to Wi-Fi Router

Hi ,
I've been trying for hours now to connect my BB 9700
to a D-Link DIR 300 Router .

When I try to connect with the Wify set up of the BB and use the push button on the router .. it will tell me after a while, that the time limit has been exceeded.
pretty much the same error then when i scan for the network .. it finds it and I push the button.

I tried so many different ways .. that the BB even shows me that I'm connected and there is a WiFi logo/sign on the top right screen and it tells me I'm connected even though i never successfully entered the pin in the router..but there are no emails coming in nor does the router work .
Can somebody help ?
Thanx in advance

rambo47 06-05-2011 02:44 PM

Re: Connection to Wi-Fi Router

You need a BlackBerry data plan to use data services like email and web, even over wifi. Any data you use over wifi will not count against any monthly allotment, but you still need a genuine Blackberry data plan to connect to the RIM infrastructure and authenticate your device.

mactube 06-06-2011 04:13 AM

Hi Rambo47,
thanks for your help.. that's most likely the problem..
I'm currently traveling and have my services cut off.
Now to the hole purpose of using the Wifi with a Blackberry, is when I don't have service with my provider right ? If not I would use emailing , browser etc. with my service....
So that really doesn't make sense but ok... at least i know now.
Thank again

Motorcycle Mama 06-06-2011 06:02 AM

The "hole purpose of using WiFi with a BlackBerry" is for use when you aren't in a good service area for your carrier. But you need to have an active BlackBerry Data Plan for it to work.

rambo47 06-06-2011 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama (Post 1725612)
The "hole purpose of using WiFi with a BlackBerry" is for use when you aren't in a good service area for your carrier. But you need to have an active BlackBerry Data Plan for it to work.

Exactly. Adding wifi capabilities is not a workaround for no data plan, but rather an addition to help you get the most out of a properly provisioned BlackBerry. You must have the data plan before you can enjoy the benefits of wifi.

Javmafia 07-26-2011 03:45 PM

i am on a social network plan and they block browser options and this causes my phone not to browse regardless of being connected to the wifi, any help?

devnull 07-26-2011 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Javmafia (Post 1734736)
i am on a social network plan and they block browser options and this causes my phone not to browse regardless of being connected to the wifi, any help?

Please read the two posts directly above yours.

Motorcycle Mama 07-26-2011 05:20 PM

Yeah, you don't have access to the internet on a Social Plan.

You have to pay to play.