BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry In the News (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Whoa! QNX delayed until late-2012 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=256267)

rambo47 12-15-2011 07:35 PM

Whoa! QNX delayed until late-2012

Lazaridis announced the delay of QNX devices until "late 2012" due to chipset shortages. RIM's stock is already down 7% in after hours trading ($1.10) on top of the miserable performance it's had over the last 3 months.

They make a world-class device, in a class by itself, yet the company insists on shooting itself in the foot every chance they get!

RIM: BlackBerry 10 smartphones won't arrive until end of 2012 -- Engadget

ezrunner 12-15-2011 07:59 PM

Re: Whoa! QNX delayed until late-2012

I am really at an impasse as to what to do. I am due an upgrade was gonna wait till Qnx device but now I may jump to iPhone or an Android device

Atleast it is due to hardware availability and noy RIM not having OS ready.....I hope.

I could add a line to family plan.......hmmmm much thinking to do

ArgonNJ 12-15-2011 08:06 PM

Hahahahahahahahahaha

The QNX BB is shaping up to be nothing more then vaporware.

NJBlackBerry 12-15-2011 08:27 PM

The troll appears. Useless, as usual.

Thiego-uk 12-16-2011 07:44 AM

That was sort of predictable, new devices (OS7) just hit the market about 4 months now. When they said they would bring QNX for Q1 I was hopping to see it but was just being highly optimistic. Now that they say Q3 I would add some delay and "maybe" we get this by Q4.
By there, hardware will be outdated as quad-core devices should be hitting marked by Q3 (personal speculation!).
Im very eager to see how this will play through as RIM is having a hell of a bad time in the market.

ifonline 12-16-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner (Post 1759499)
Atleast it is due to hardware availability and noy RIM not having OS ready.....I hope.

I'm not entirely comfortable with the whole "waiting on a better chipset" argument that RIM presented last night. I see software as RIM's weak spot, and my gut tells me that they are still having significant issues getting QNX to work like they think it should. Look at all the delays of the PlayBook, presumably based on software issues, including dropping BBM from OS 2 at launch (whenever that ends up being). No, I'm afraid this is an issue of RIM getting in over their head trying to shoehorn QNX onto their hardware and into their infrastructure.

Plus, doesn't it stand to reason that if RIM is talking of a late 2012 release of QNX phones, then the carriers will release even later than that due to field testing? All around this seems like yet another letdown by RIM. I'm not carrying my pitchfork calling for the windows at RIM to be shuttered, but I do feel like it's still going to get worse before it gets better.

ifonline 12-16-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambo47 (Post 1759496)
They make a world-class device, in a class by itself, yet the company insists on shooting itself in the foot every chance they get!

Nokia seems poised to make a big US push very soon with the Lumia WP7 phones. Might RIM's call last night open the door as an opportunity for Nokia to capitalize on here in the US?

NJBlackBerry 12-16-2011 10:19 AM

Nokia also has a diminished star. They have hitched their wagon to WP7. Not sure how much of a player they will be in the US...

ifonline 12-16-2011 10:35 AM

Very true. I see RIM currently headed down Nokia's path, and ironic as it may be, see Nokia trying to push back into the US market (possibly with the help of RIM's missteps). It might not work, of course, but an interesting turn of events.

Colonel Panic 12-16-2011 12:03 PM

That sucks. With the rate we have of users switching to other phones, I might not have any BB users by then. Comebacks happen (eg Apple) but this really might be it. I'll keep my RIM stuff on the shelf next to my Netware manuals, in tribute.

DallasFlier 12-16-2011 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ezrunner (Post 1759499)
I am really at an impasse as to what to do. I am due an upgrade was gonna wait till Qnx device but now I may jump to iPhone or an Android device

I could add a line to family plan.......hmmmm much thinking to do

I'm in exactly the same position. Can get an upgrade now, but figured I'd wait for the BBX/QNX devices. I've been with AT&T long enough to be allowed an upgrade in 12 months vs. 24, so guess I just need to decide what that upgrade is going to be now.

Damn, RIM, just when it looked like you had a chance to climb back into a viable competitive position...

rambo47 12-16-2011 01:38 PM

As predicted everywhere, the stock is taking a fair pounding. Down 12% to $13.25.

Dubdub 12-16-2011 01:44 PM

Almost time to buy some more RIM stock.

ifonline 12-16-2011 02:09 PM

I had a buddy pick up some this morning. I would, except I won't have enough funds until the end of the year. Perhaps then, though.

Dubdub 12-16-2011 03:32 PM

I am going to wait a bit longer. Bound to go lower before it starts to rise again.

ifonline 12-16-2011 03:46 PM

Unfortunately true, I think.

fourstringfuror 12-16-2011 05:45 PM

So I'll have to keep using my really good BlackBerry until next fall, when I can upgrade to a really, really good BlackBerry.

I can live with that.

tsac 12-16-2011 06:03 PM

As some have said , bad management shows and until the company does a boot to these guys it will be bumpy. Apple had issues until Jobs came back into the picture. I'm not sure if there is a white knight to come riding in but Rim still has a product that companies and individuals who need and want security and freedom from viruses will buy.