BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Storm-Outlook emails sync without Exchange (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=174160)

amassimini 02-04-2009 03:15 AM

Storm-Outlook emails sync without Exchange

With my job I travel a lot and need to get always a copy of all emails on my BlackBerry.

Unfortunately I work for a small company which doesn't have an Exchange server.

Is possible to sync all emails from MS Outlook to the BB STORM (and viceversa) using a desktop software?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Alfiero

zkyevolved 02-04-2009 07:03 AM

Everytime I turn off the radio connection and plug it into my pc (i have done it a few times) new mails sync in, but they're previously configured email addresses that normally work. I guess it uses my USB connection from the phone to the PC and my internet connection to sync the emails. Try setting up your email address from the phone while being connected to your PC and having DM open.

glopezur 02-04-2009 08:18 AM

You can use BlackBerry Redirector on your PC. But you will have to leave your PC on

amassimini 02-04-2009 08:58 AM

Thanks for your reply. So, if I well understood, there are no other ways to sync Ouulook with the BB through Desktop Manager...

lindros2 02-04-2009 09:45 AM

Instead of looking at Outlook (CLIENT), look at it from the SERVER perspective:

Just get your mail from whatever server your small company has (if they can "open" up the server/port to RIM's servers - which is not an unusual request).

The "challenge" for folks with Exchange is that Outlook is more than just a client, it is basically "tied into" the server. In your case you could (theoretically) use any client that can "see" your server.

(or alternatively you can use Desktop Redirector but this is kludgey)

amassimini 02-04-2009 11:34 AM

Thanks! This is a useful tip. I'll check with my system mng. if it's possible to do that.

In case for some unknown reasons it's not, are there any other solutions?

For example, I currently use a HTC Tytn II to receive/send emails when I'm travelling and, despite the HTC is not good for writing emails as the BlackBerry is, it can very easily sync all email with Outlook just with the ActiveSync software.

Whe this is not possible with the STORM?

lindros2 02-04-2009 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amassimini (Post 1271232)
Whe this [ActiveSync] is not possible with the STORM?

There has been much discussion on this (here, Crackberry.com, etc.).

My opinion (not fact) is that (1) RIM doesn't want to lose revenue from BlackBerry Enterprise Server (wireless mail > devices), (2) sync'ing with a computer requires... a computer, (3) ActiveSync is a Microsoft technology, and (4) the key benefit of a BlackBerry is email anywhere.

BruceDBR 02-04-2009 10:24 PM

Have you simply tried to set up your work email address to push to your blackberry? On the Blackberry, go to Email Setup and enter the information for your work email addres. it works incredibly well with most email addresses/servers as is. Then, assuming it works, when you get an email, it'll push to your BB and you can also send usign that same account on your blackberry.

RJ311 02-06-2009 09:39 PM

I work for a bank that also does not have a BES. However they do support windows mobile and activesync. So after some research I found a great siftware called astrasync. This is a softwre that is only $49 a year and it works great! This may be an option for you. AstraSync - ActiveSync for BlackBerry - Connect a BlackBerry to a ActiveSync Exchange Server.

fiffer 02-07-2009 01:59 PM

You could also find an hosting company who would set up your account as a split domain on their network.

ke4sfq 03-28-2009 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glopezur (Post 1270985)
You can use BlackBerry Redirector on your PC. But you will have to leave your PC on

I have tried to do this but when I install it, the redirector just says "NO PIN". I open Blackberry Desktop and it sees the Blackberry fine and sees the pin number at the bottom of the screen. How do I get the redirector to work without Exchange?

muratcolakoglu 03-28-2009 11:55 AM

No need to buy additional software for this. As BrucdDBR wrote, you should setup your email account into your BB and in Outlook you should check the box: leave a copy of the message on the server. That's all you need to do. Your message will come to your BB and to your Outlook. But you need to buy a BIS contract from your carrier.