BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8500 Series Discussion - Gemini (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   Blackberry Curve 8520 WIFI ? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=205935)

xtremex626 10-02-2009 12:01 AM

Blackberry Curve 8520 WIFI ?

So, I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8520 from Newegg. Before I put in the SIM, I tried out the WIFI feature and it worked awesome. When I put the SIM card in, that's when my WIFI stopped working. I have T-Mobile and whenever I use the browser it always transfers me to the Home Page, telling me I have to purchase the web2go plan. Currently for my old phone, I don't have any data plans except for unlimited texting. WIFI is supposed to be free no matter what from what I understand like if you are connecting to your own router from home. I don't understand why it doesn't work anymore once I insert my SIM card. Does any one here know how to fix this problem? Sorry, I am new to Blackberry and the forums itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

xtremex626 10-02-2009 12:31 AM

Nevermind, I answered my own question. For anybody else having this problem, all you have to do is follow this very useful guide here: Complete WiFi How-To - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com

Aristarcus 10-03-2009 10:33 AM

Not working for me - 8520 using AT&T prepaid sim :(

Aristarcus 10-03-2009 11:40 AM

Ok just paid the $49 to talk to a BB techie and he confirmed that AT&T blocks wifi usage even though the cell is unlocked and even though I have wifi. I turned on the phone w/o the SIM and voila, internet worked. So, from a physical standpoint it seems that:

with sim = no wifi
without sim = wifi

Any way to program the SIM so it doesn't enable blocking of wifi w/o paying $30 a month for data?

MidnightDraven 10-03-2009 01:29 PM

nope

Aristarcus 10-03-2009 04:06 PM

Yeah this sucks - I guess I'll have to return it. Really don't want to get locked into a contract.

qzplx 10-05-2009 11:33 AM

Cannot get the IP

Hi, I also new for this forum, and just bought bb 8520, is there any way to connect to wifi ?

I've tried to connect to AP with WEB encryption, but the message is could not get the IP even the password correct.

qzplx 10-06-2009 07:45 AM

Hi Guys, After ugrade to new OS, now I can connect to wifi, and get an IP from my AP smoothly, but when I open the bb browser the browser wont allow me to connect to Internet, is there any way to baypass this things ?

Looks sucks, since I stay in ASIA region, there is no such thing wifi service plan.

MidnightDraven 10-06-2009 07:50 AM

make sure the browser is set to HOTSPOT BROWSER

qzplx 10-06-2009 02:07 PM

Yep, its done, and I enable the data in network setting.

TallPaul86 10-11-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qzplx (Post 1483971)
Hi Guys, After ugrade to new OS, now I can connect to wifi, and get an IP from my AP smoothly, but when I open the bb browser the browser wont allow me to connect to Internet, is there any way to baypass this things ?

Looks sucks, since I stay in ASIA region, there is no such thing wifi service plan.

You're best bet is to either change the encyption on your BB Router (from WPA to WEP possibly) and/or once you are connected to your WiFi network go to Manage Connections, then Set Up Wi-Fi Network then you should have a 4th option saying Wi-Fi Hotspot Login.

That "should" tell your BB to use the Wi-Fi connection over the GSM connection for data etc

txhardhittaz 10-18-2009 02:56 PM

Have you used opera?

qzplx 10-18-2009 10:21 PM

bb browser is the best for me

newbiebbuser 10-19-2009 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by qzplx (Post 1491054)
bb browser is the best for me

i want the bb browser, but tmobile just gives the web2go, which only gives me access if i purchas e a plan. i tried the hotspot thing, doesn't work.

lixaliz 10-21-2009 09:31 AM

i just got a curve 8520 and sad to say, but im starting to hate it! at first it was connecting to the internet using EDGE then by the end of the day i saw that it said gprs on top, which made my browsing much much slower. now i cant even log on to any website. what is wrong with the phone? could it be the phone or the server? my server's Globe since its the usual around here where I live.

missjojo 02-27-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtremex626 (Post 1481801)
So, I recently bought an unlocked Blackberry Curve 8520 from Newegg. Before I put in the SIM, I tried out the WIFI feature and it worked awesome. When I put the SIM card in, that's when my WIFI stopped working. I have T-Mobile and whenever I use the browser it always transfers me to the Home Page, telling me I have to purchase the web2go plan. Currently for my old phone, I don't have any data plans except for unlimited texting. WIFI is supposed to be free no matter what from what I understand like if you are connecting to your own router from home. I don't understand why it doesn't work anymore once I insert my SIM card. Does any one here know how to fix this problem? Sorry, I am new to Blackberry and the forums itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Probably you can try:
Manage Connections->Mobile Network Options->Connection Preference->Wi-Fi Only

shiva1001 05-07-2010 02:22 AM

8520 Wifi problem

Being new to Blackberry,I had great expectations from the phone when I bought it.

The phone has been a partial dampener. While i like the compactness, quick boot up time, good sound quality and light weight of the 8520, I am rather disappointed with the modest battery life which is not more than 2 days with my modest usage of phone only ( No BES, no bluetooth & no Wifi).

What has really disappointed me is that I am unable to surf the net when connected on Wifi and only after taking the SIM card out as per the experience of some other users in this forum, it then seems to work.

Rather disappointing, any solution to this?

Dubdub 05-07-2010 07:29 AM

You need a BB data plan. That will fix your problems.

BBs are designed to work with BB data plans.

figodbest 05-07-2010 11:16 AM

Hi I had just bought a blackberry the 8520 curve and when I plugged in the charger a battery with a thunder appears but nothing happened. Is there something wrong with my mobile?

Momo_x 07-21-2010 01:55 PM

My english is not very good but i gonna try to tell my problem :

Usually I can just use wifi to play on internet. But suddely I wanted to go on youtube and other websites (I write the address correct) and it's not working! They say they cannot find the address! I tryed manu times till they say 'if this problen does continue, contact your network provider'

But what is network provider and what should I do ?!
Pleas help me soon as impossible Bcuz i don't know anything about wifi !
If it impossible can you send it to my email, that would be nice.
Thank you very much

mootje_95_cool_girl_38_zaa@hot...