BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tethering (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=238028)

John Clark 10-14-2010 11:18 PM

Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tethering

1 Attachment(s)
So, I've seen a few posts on this out there but nothing this simple and all in one place. So here are the simple instructions for manually installing the TMobile Service Books to your 9800 Bold. You'll need Desktop Manager 6 installed (Older versions may work but the instructions below are for DM6). This procedure for the BIS browser may also be necessary for a while with the 9700 if you have loaded OS6.

BIS Connection and BIS Browser:

**Update 1/21/2011: It appears that this step is no longer necessary as TMobile now has the service books for OS 6. They should push to the device automatically when registering the handheld device.

1. Download and unzip the TMobile Service Books below. Be sure and remember where you unzipped the folder to as you will need it later.

2. Next, make sure your TMobile sim card has been inserted in the Torch. Then go to Options >Device >Advanced System Settings >TCP/IP

Set as follows:

APN: epc.tmobile.com
Username: < Leave Blank >
Password < Leave Blank >

3. Go to Options >Device >Advanced System Settings >Service Book.

Do the following:

Type alt + s-b-e-b. You will not see anything as you type this but when you're done you should see a message that says "Legacy SB Restore Enabled." Click OK.

4. Plug in the Torch to your PC and open Desktop Manager and go to Device >Restore

5. Under File Name you should see 9800 TMobile Service Books. If you don't see that click on "Change Folder" and browse to where you downloaded the service books from the link above.

6. Toward the middle of the Restore Window click the radio button next to "Select device data and settings" and below that make sure that "Data Type" and "Service Books" boxes are checked.

7. Click the "Restore" button and you will be prompted that "Your current data will be replaced." Click "Yes."

8. Once the restore is finished you can disconnect the device.

9. On the device go to the "Setup" icon. Select "Email Accounts." Select "Internet Mail Account." Hit the menu key and select "Service Books." Click "Send Service Books." This will resend your email service books.

That's it. You should now have the Internet Browser and your apps should work normally.

Now for UMA!

**WARNING*** You can severely mess up your device by changing settings in these screens. Be sure you are comfortable with the procedure before attempting.

1. Download the certificates for TMobile from here: (use the links in the second post)

http://www.port3101.org/port-3101-be...tificates.html

2. Now you'll need to unlock your engineering screen. To do this click alt + rt shift + H on your keyboard to get to the "Help Me" screen and fill in the info from that screen into the key generator at the site below. Don't back out of this Help Me screen until you enter the code and get the new menus. If you back out you'll get different uptime and you'll have to re-enter the info and get a new code:

You'll need the PIN, App Version including the (xxx), and the uptime without the "secs". Enter that info and choose the amount of time you'd like to keep the screen available.

Zibri's Blog: Hidden things are usually the best :)

Once you get the code, simply type it on that same screen. Use alt when typing numbers and don't use caps with letters. You won't see anything being typed as you enter it. Once the code is accepted you'll see a new menu list. If not, go back and make sure you are entering all the info correct and try again.

3. Once the new menu appears, click on "Mobile Network Engineering Screens"

4. Click on "Utilities"

5. Click on "Session Manager"

6. Press the menu key (left of trackpad) and select "UMA Options"

7. Press the menu key and select "New"

8. Enter the following:

Display Name: T-Mobile
Operator Name: T-Mobile

9. UNCHECK "Use default UNC address"

10. At "Provisioning UNC address:" enter: punc.t-mobileuncs.com

Leave Provisioning UNC port: 14001 as is.

11. UNCHECK "Use default SEGW address"

12. At "Provisioning SEGW address:" enter: psgw.t-mobilesgws.com

13. Under "SEGW certificate" choose the TMobile Engineering certificate downloaded in the Step 1.

14. Under UMA protocol version: use "UMA v. 1.0.3"

15. Save your settings.

Reboot the device. UMA should now be enabled!

New: 12/03/2010 Added Tether Support with DM6

So, now you have BIS working and UMA working but why is it that you can't connect to DM6 and get the automatic Tether options? ATT blocks tethering with Desktop Manager. However, with a simple edit of an xml file we can add that feature back so you can Tether your AT&T 9800 unlocked on TMobile. I can't take the credit for this, however. The credit goes to jeoleapus on RIM Forums from his post here.

1. Install DM6. You can get it here: Desktop Manager

2. Make sure Desktop Manager is closed.

3. Search your computer, including hidden files and folders for the following file: ip_modem_configuration.xml If you don't know how to show hidden files see the links below:

WinXP
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ddenfiles.mspx

Vista/7
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...w-hidden-files

In Windows XP you can find the file located in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Research In Motion\BlackBerry

4. Right click on the xml file and select "Open With" and select "Word Pad." You can use any text editor you wish but Word Pad seems to open it in a decent format.

5. Look for the following:

<carrier uid="102" id="AT&amp;T" enabled="false">
<vendorid>102</vendorid>
<supportednetwork>GSM</supportednetwork>
<apn>isp.cingular</apn>
</carrier>

Change it to the following:

<carrier uid="102" id="T-Mobile US" enabled="true">
<vendorid>102</vendorid>
<supportednetwork>GSM</supportednetwork>
<apn>epc.tmobile.com</apn>
</carrier>

Open DM6 and connect with the USB cable.

You should now see "Mobile Internet" at the bottom left of the DM main screen. Click on that and just use the default Setup info on the screen. It should list "T_mobile US" and should work normally.

Again, a big thanks to joeleapus over at RIM forums for this fix.

Tom 10-18-2010 01:24 PM

Awesome!

nunzi0044 10-23-2010 02:09 PM

Which TCP/IP APN settings work best for Torch on TMO
wap.voicestream.com
or
epc.tmobile.com?

John Clark 10-25-2010 11:49 AM

I've found that none are needed and the device works best with none entered. However, you should be using epc.tmobile.com if you're using it.

chrisiv 11-05-2010 10:27 PM

Hi John Clark,

i have followed you instruction but have an issue with

9. On the device go to the "Setup" icon. Select "Email Accounts." Select "Internet Mail Account." Hit the menu key and select "Service Books." Click "Send Service Books." This will resend your email service books.

when i select "internet mail account" (an option i did not have before) and press the menu key i get a screen which will allow me to select a different app. then when i return to the internet account i have a message "your device had a problem connecting to the server"

can you help me please

chris

John Clark 11-05-2010 10:29 PM

Do you have a BlackBerry data plan on your account?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

chrisiv 11-06-2010 03:28 AM

Hi

I only have a contract with T-Mobile which has data

John Clark 11-06-2010 07:36 AM

Is it a "BlackBerry" data plan? Other data plans won't work.

chrisiv 11-07-2010 06:50 PM

it is now and now it works thank you

John Clark 11-07-2010 08:44 PM

*Added UMA Instructions*

John Clark 12-03-2010 02:43 PM

re: Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tethering

*Added Desktop Manager native Tether Instructions*

Woot!

You can now use your ATT branded Torch as a modem using the built-in tether connection in Desktop Manager.

rick chi-town 12-19-2010 12:08 PM

Re: Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tetherin

Hey John, the instructions you list at the top of this thread are WAAAYYYY different than the instructions provided with my unlock code. I am more inclined to follow yours... but not sure what to do.. can you help?

John Clark 12-19-2010 12:11 PM

Re: Get Your Unlocked 9800 Torch Working on TMobile with Browser, UMA and DM Tetherin

My instructions don't include the actual sim unlock instuctions. This thread is for after you've unlocked it.

rick chi-town 12-19-2010 12:20 PM

I realize I wasn't very clear in my post, but that is exactly what I was wondering... so thank you. I'll keep you posted.

rick chi-town 12-19-2010 01:36 PM

thanks again John... my wife is now the proud owner of an unlocked white torch on the t-mobile network. Everything seems to be up and running... pretty slick phone, that for sure. Makes my 9650 w/OS6 even seem obsolete... :(

nunzi0044 12-19-2010 01:53 PM

I did it 4 months ago and and its been perfect.. no complaints. Just wish it was 3G. Although UMA rockss!!!

John Clark 12-19-2010 02:20 PM

Thanks. I'm not sure how many peoiple have used these instructions. I'm always open to suggestions on improving them.

I sure wish there was something I could do about 3G.

joshatlbr 12-21-2010 04:48 PM

Hey John!

I am new to all of this "unlocking" so I hope you do not mind me asking a rather stupid question about a problem I am having on Step 9.

Step 9.
A. On the device go to the "Setup" icon. Check.
B. Select "Email Accounts." Check.
C. Select "Internet Mail Account." Check

When I try and do Step 9C, it says its connecting and shows an error message that states "The application has encountered an error and cannot continue."

So I cannot complete these steps:
D. Hit the menu key and select "Service Books.
E. Click "Send Service Books."

Any and all help is appreciated.

John Clark 12-21-2010 04:50 PM

I've seen that on occassion. Have you tried rebooting? Have you entered the apn settings under TCP/IP?

Super Dave 12-31-2010 03:17 PM

i have found if you update your device you have to re-enter the UMA steps as well as the epc.tmobile.com in the TCPIP settings

John Clark 01-02-2011 01:34 AM

That is correct. The UMA settings and the TCP/IP settings are lost after an upgrade.

mental case 01-24-2011 11:50 AM

13. Under "SEGW certificate" choose the TMobile Engineering certificate downloaded in the Step 1.

14. Under UMA protocol version: use "UMA v. 1.0.3"

15. Save your settings.

Reboot the device. UMA should now be enabled!

I may be missing something and forgive me if this is a silly question. Just got my torch yesterday and have followed the steps. but on the part noted above, where is says select the cert that I downloaded in step 1. I am lost as to how this cert gets to my phone. I downloaded it on my computer, and nowhere else do you mention getting it to the phone from the PC, can you help me on that one please? Do i need to copy it to the phone and If so where do I copy it to so that when I get to the selection process, it is selectable.

Also wondering, I completed the BIS portion or the tutorial and the built-in gmail works, not real time like it did on my 9700, but I notice that one does not allow for attachments. And when i select a photo and try to send via email, i get a message "No message service configured, you will be redirected to setup wizard to setup your email account".

Once I go there, I see my gmail account already there, am I missing something or doing something wrong??

Any help would be greatly appreciated

John Clark 01-24-2011 11:58 AM

You need to download the certificates directly to your device. Use your device browser to download them.

Second, you don't need to manually install the service books for TMobile anymore. They will push down automatically now. I just tried it a few days ago and made a note in red in the first post.

mental case 01-24-2011 01:15 PM

Thx John,, went in this morning and tried it again,, this time it completed the setup of my gmail. For some reason it just kept sitting on activating and would not finish. All seems to be working now. I really appreciate the info and guidance.

ecrespin 01-27-2011 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisiv (Post 1671578)
Hi John Clark,

i have followed you instruction but have an issue with

when i select "internet mail account" (an option i did not have before) and press the menu key i get a screen which will allow me to select a different app. then when i return to the internet account i have a message "your device had a problem connecting to the server"

can you help me please

chris

ecrespin 01-27-2011 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecrespin (Post 1697326)

Go to Manage Connections, uncheck Wifi. You can now manage and set up email accounts. If you haven't enabled UMA, you will see EDGE that allows you to connect to internet if you have the data plann.

CrazyChili 02-14-2011 01:54 PM

Hey everybody,
I just purchased the torch, despite reading many mixed reviews. I was a bit hesitant but am super happy that i did, its a fantastic device. I am a former owner of the samsung galaxy android and was not very happy with it.

Anyway, i have been trying to get this UMA working and was having problems. I would put in the commands for the UNC server and the SEGW thing, rebooted the device many times and tried a whole bunch of different things to get it to work, going over everything over and over again making sure i got it right. Nothing was happening.

Finally i decided to use the other certificate, there are two of them, and it worked instantly. So just keep that in mind everybody if you are stuck like i was at that step.

Also to unlock that engineering screen with that code generator, try to play with it, every keystroke generates a new code, and sometimes it helps to reset and start over, if it means leaving the web page or refreshing the help screen, as that upload time will change. but it will work eventually.

***Almost gave up, cause i thought it wasnt going to work, but stick to it and you will succeed!***

Thanks for the help everybody

ShiKhali 03-05-2011 07:20 PM

MAN I COULD KISS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much!!! These instructions were so easy to follow and everything went very smoothly! UMA working perfectly!!!(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

nkeibaby 03-06-2011 04:17 PM

Hi,
will UMA allow me to recieve BBM messages while on the phone? Right now I cannot send or recieve BBM while on the phone

zhxrfu 03-07-2011 10:52 PM

Hi All,

Plz help me in this , m nt able to write up these below:
3. Go to Options >Device >Advanced System Settings >Service Book.

Do the following:

Type alt + s-b-e-b. You will not see anything as you type this but when you're done you should see a message that says "Legacy SB Restore Enabled." Click OK.

Where to type this. I ahve seen three options :

WAP PUSH CONFIG
WI-FI TCP/IP
WI-FI TCP/IP TRANSPORT.

How to write the above "Type alt + s-b-e-b." instruction and where.

zhxrfu 03-07-2011 11:01 PM

Where to download Tmobile service books

zhxrfu 03-08-2011 10:54 PM

Thanks for above steps,

I have stuck ..kindly help.

1. After performing all the steps till internet mail account. After pressing select key..prompting error"Your Blackberry Internet Service account is suspendedor deactivated. Contact your wireless provider."

Kindly help.

John Clark 03-08-2011 10:57 PM

You need a BB data plan from your wireless service provider.

naijabb 03-10-2011 09:05 PM

Hello,

I got the UMA installed but my email is still not working? Do i need to download the certificate to my phone? if i do, i did try it but there is no icon for downloading it to my phone. also, when i click on phone setup to install my emails, there are already 3 email accounts set up. when i click on it, i get the error "the application has encountered and error and cannot continue". Please help, thank you

naijabb 03-13-2011 07:49 PM

anyone??

John Clark 03-13-2011 08:15 PM

Did you try setting up your email on the Tmobile website?

naijabb 03-15-2011 11:50 AM

How do i do that?

John Clark 03-15-2011 12:03 PM

Unsupported Browser

You should have a picture of your BlackBerry on the page. If it doesn't show, then click the link to select your device (or a similar device). Once you do that then click on the device and options for BlackBerry services will come up and you can setup your BlackBerry email.

I'm assuming you have a BlackBerry data plan.

naijabb 03-15-2011 12:48 PM

Yes i do have the plan. What is similar to 9800 for tmobile?

John Clark 03-15-2011 12:58 PM

You can choose ANY BlackBerry device.

naijabb 03-15-2011 01:12 PM

Thank you soo much. my email is working now

nikalicous 03-16-2011 12:53 AM

"4. Click on "Utilities"

5. Click on "Session Manager"

6. Press the menu key (left of trackpad) and select "UMA Options"

7. Press the menu key and select "New" "

I have completed the first 6 steps, but once Session Manager and I hit the menu key the dialog box is empty...... So I can't select "UMA OPTIONS".....

Please help!!!!!! I am using a bb9000 (Bold) that I unlocked from At&t, and my carrier is T-mobile, I do have the blackberry data package!! Thanks in advanced!

John Clark 03-16-2011 01:05 AM

You can't get UMA on a BB9000. Sorry.

casper663 04-04-2011 10:15 AM

cant get UMA with the new OS6.0.0.526

John Clark 04-04-2011 01:57 PM

You have to reenter all the UMA setup info.

nunzi0044 04-04-2011 09:22 PM

I just upgraded os to 6.0.0.526 and I can't get UMA working. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? (unlocked torch on t-mobile)

goods2envy 04-04-2011 10:25 PM

UMA worked for a couple of days now its gone any suggestions? Still connected to wifi but I only get EDGE and i have mobile options set as wifi as preferred

dschaaf 05-08-2011 07:44 AM

I am having this issue but on Rogers in Canada.
I am able to makes calls and send/receive SMS but NOT able to PIN or set up email accounts.

Any idea where I can download or get the Rogers service books so that I can try your method?

Thanks,
Derek

John Clark 05-08-2011 07:45 AM

You need a BlackBerry data plan from Rogers.

dschaaf 05-08-2011 08:12 AM

Thanks, I do have the Rogers BB data plan and have spent the past 5 days on the phone between their customer service and their tech support and neither have been able to resolve the issue. They say "everything looks correct on their end" They have elevated the issue to their higher up tech engineers but said it will be 3-5 business days to get back to me....which I think is unacceptable for a business device.

I can't seem to be able to get the service books I click to re-send the SB from within my Rogers BIS account and the message says "sent sucessfully"...they just never arrive....also the "host routing table" has no entries and we have tried many times to re-register on the network

Thanks,
Derek

John Clark 05-08-2011 08:22 AM

This is beyond the realm of this particular thread.

You have an issue with your data plan, in which case you will have to wait for Rogers to solve it or you have a device that is blocked by RIM due to being lost, stolen or some other reason.

dschaaf 05-08-2011 08:24 AM

Gotcha, thanks :)

wewecool 05-29-2011 05:13 PM

I do not see an option "Service Books" after i hit the menu key?
could anyone be kind to tell me what's wrong.

John Clark 05-29-2011 05:44 PM

do you have a BB data plan?

wewecool 05-29-2011 05:59 PM

does it has to be BB data? can it be 4G Web-200MB data.

John Clark 05-29-2011 06:06 PM

Nope. Must be BB data plan.

wewecool 05-29-2011 06:22 PM

k.ill make change then try again ty

avelasqu 06-10-2011 11:16 AM

Been gone for a while on my Android trip, but am now happily back!

Got a 9800 on T-Moble and followed the directions. Got it all working and the UMA, however, my SMS is not sending messages. Any ideas? I am on 6.0.0.546.

avelasqu 06-10-2011 02:01 PM

What I meant was, SMS does not work while on UMA.

photonzz 08-11-2011 11:05 AM

Hi does anyone know where to find service books for Rogers?
I have a new unbranded 9800 I am trying to get UMA working on. This thread sounds great if the service books are available for Rogers. I have spen a lot of time on the phone with rogers tech support and in the end they told me that since I didn't buy the phone from them they can not guarantee that all the features will work... The phone came direct from RIM not ebay or anything like that.
I do Have a blackberry plan as my last phone is a 9700 which I still have and may have to switch back to if I can not get this working.
Everything works just fine when when I am connected to the rogers network.

Thanks in advance.

Medic48 08-12-2011 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photonzz (Post 1737551)
Hi does anyone know where to find service books for Rogers?
I have a new unbranded 9800 I am trying to get UMA working on. This thread sounds great if the service books are available for Rogers. I have spen a lot of time on the phone with rogers tech support and in the end they told me that since I didn't buy the phone from them they can not guarantee that all the features will work... The phone came direct from RIM not ebay or anything like that.
I do Have a blackberry plan as my last phone is a 9700 which I still have and may have to switch back to if I can not get this working.
Everything works just fine when when I am connected to the rogers network.

Thanks in advance.

You have to be provisioned with UMA Access in order for the Rogers Service Book to be pushed. You will need to purchase a UMA/Wi-Fi Calling service or speak to customer service about getting Wi-Fi Access.

The service book won't be pushed unless you have the access provisioned on your Rogers Wireless acount.

--Phil

Torch09 08-21-2011 01:28 PM

Hey guys, maybe Im not as smart as I think but Ive followed everything to get the browser and apps to work but its still now working. When I go to the browser, it says browsing over cellular network is not allowed as part of your current servcie plan, but I have bb data with tmo so im not sure what is going on. Someone please help...

John Clark 08-21-2011 01:45 PM

Is this a new BB data plan or did you have it working in another device prior to this one?

Torch09 08-21-2011 01:57 PM

I had it working in an unlocked 9700.

John Clark 08-21-2011 02:15 PM

Did you try Host Routing Table >Register Now?

Torch09 08-21-2011 02:55 PM

Tried it, didnt work...

John Clark 08-21-2011 02:59 PM

Put ths sim back in the 9700 and try copying all the service books again.

Torch09 08-21-2011 03:15 PM

i sold it....Damn....

John Clark 08-21-2011 03:33 PM

Then try copying over the service book file again.

kabahllo 08-23-2011 07:57 PM

hello i did everything you write and i have internet but only says edge and when i try to open tweeter o facebook dont work and say`s could not find service book entry for ippp

kabahllo 08-23-2011 11:48 PM

Hey I think I did everything as you say but cannot conect to facebook and tweeter can a restore whit bb desktop manager? Or a backup? What should I do? When i was doing the uma thing and I select the t mobil thing that a download at the first step was mark whit a red x and de other whit a green check its that normal?

nunzi0044 09-08-2011 09:30 PM

has any one been able to find the engineering screen on torch 9810 and get uma to work on os7. just got an unlocked 9810 working on tmobile and cant get uma setup yet. Please respond with some feedback.

John Clark 09-08-2011 09:31 PM

Is it different than the above instructions?

NJBlackBerry 09-08-2011 09:43 PM

A wild guess here that since T-Mobile doesn't have UMA working with their 9900 running OS7, I don't think it will work on a 9810 with OS7 either.

John Clark 09-08-2011 09:45 PM

It won't hurt to try. The instructions will still apply.

John Clark 09-08-2011 09:45 PM

Hey, that even rhymes.

John Clark 09-08-2011 09:56 PM

I don't think anyone has tried the above UMA instructions on an OS7 device yet. Nunzi, if you feel comfortable following my instructions above you might get it working.

ElectricBB 09-08-2011 11:11 PM

I joined blackberryforums just to thank you for this. Thank you sooo much. I don't t-mob reception here at home, but now with the UMA it doesnt matter. Thank You!!:smile:

Ohhshhitsjon 09-17-2011 07:06 PM

I've entered all the settings and even got uma enabled. But for some reason my browser still does not work when I'm not around wifi. It works perfectly on wifi and uma but not while running on edge. I talked to t mobile, I have the bb data plan, yet I still get the message you can not browse. I even wiped the whole phone and did it again, still nothing. Funny thing is though, emails still come through. I've also resent the service books.

nunzi0044 10-01-2011 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1743194)
I don't think anyone has tried the above UMA instructions on an OS7 device yet. Nunzi, if you feel comfortable following my instructions above you might get it working.

I followed the instructions and I have successfully done this before a few times. I worked flawlessly on my old torch 9800 but I guess on my new torch 9810 with OS7 no luck. Im guessing the engineering screens need to be updated to allow this option. I hope its in the works in the next software update developments. Wait and see for now, really miss the UMA option in low signal locations.

SallyVentu 10-02-2011 10:54 PM

Hey John,

I carefully followed your instructions, but UMA is not working on my torch.

Any suggestions?

zuriv 10-27-2011 10:49 PM

Hi John,

I have an unlocked Torch 9800 that I got in Jakarta. I'm in california, near LA, and I got a T-Mobile monthly plan with BB service.

When I got the phone set up, the Browser didn't work. I called T-Mobile Technical Support and they were not able to help. So I followed your instructions for the BIS Connection and BIS Browser, downloaded the T-Mobile service books and installed that. The Browser worked after that.

The problem now is, Blackberry Messenger stopped working. I lost the saved chats and groups, and now I can't send messages to my contacts. Thankfully my Contacts were wiped out.

Can you please help me? :smile:

phrider 11-18-2011 02:38 PM

Any word on the TMO-issued 9810 working with UMA out of the box?

ajstan99 11-19-2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phrider (Post 1755664)
Any word on the TMO-issued 9810 working with UMA out of the box?

No, mine doesn't. v7.0.0.439.

knottyrope 12-15-2011 10:52 AM

UMA wont work until OS 7.1 is out from what I have read

HannaBB 12-15-2011 02:02 PM

Has anyone tried these instructions on a 9100???

walcellularllc 01-31-2012 12:00 AM

thanks for the post, it worked for me!

globee 03-04-2012 03:46 AM

Thank you(y), it worked for me on 9300.

Bastec 03-10-2012 06:19 AM

Need to be able to install/download gmail - just purchased 9800 with BIS / BES only installed......:x:x

loadleft 04-30-2012 11:26 PM

I've desperately tried all steps listed here plus deleted all service books and registered again, but I still cannot connect to BIS. Are there any other suggestions? Strange thing is before switching to TMobile I had my unlocked 9800 on MySimple mobile which uses TMobile 's network and had zero problems. I simply plugged in the sim card and everything worked. Now that I've switched to TMobile it's been a total nightmare! Please help!!!

John Clark 04-30-2012 11:35 PM

You have a BB data plan with TMobile? You still need a data plan for this to work.

loadleft 04-30-2012 11:36 PM

Yes I have the BB data plan, and thanks for the quick reply!

loadleft 05-01-2012 12:09 AM

Can you think of anything else I might try? Thanks in advance!

Dubdub 05-01-2012 09:05 AM

If you used BIS with your previous carrier, did you specifically cancel the BIS service? Otherwise the IMEI and PIN are still registered with that carrier/service.

loadleft 05-01-2012 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1776582)
If you used BIS with your previous carrier, did you specifically cancel the BIS service? Otherwise the IMEI and PIN are still registered with that carrier/service.

I thought this was the answer but I called my previous carrier and they verified not only that it wasn't on their network anymore but that when they looked it up or tried to re-add it, it showed up on another carrier's (TMobile) network.

I am really dreading this cause I am starting to think I might as well just buy an Android Blackberry-like phone, the ones w/Qwerty keyboards and form factors similar to the Bold.

I did all this because I wanted to port my old number to Google Voice and get a new number which I kept private. Now I've rendered my BB almost useless, and may end up having to buy a new phone,

loadleft 05-01-2012 07:14 PM

Well... After scouring the internet I found the suggestion that I call T-Mobile and ask that they escalate my case to RIM. Instead of calling I do it through online chat, and I'm given a number to call RIM. I call RIM and after several menus and a short wait I'm connected to someone who just tells me I have 3 options: 1)to go to Blackberry.com and search for answers; 2) be transferred to RIM tech support at a cost of $49.99; 3) Call T-Mobile and ask that they stay one the line and transfer me to RIM in which case tech support is free. Naturally I chose option 3.

I call T-Mobile for what must be the 10th time, not including the 5 online chats, and I am pretty ornery at this point. The customer service reps wants to take me through all the crap I've done at least 40 times, before she'll transfer me to RIM. Strange thing is this time it works! She had me verify the epc.tmobile.com was set in tcp, then pull battery and sim for 30 seconds. Since I'd done all this before I was more than disagreeable but as soon as my phone was on everything worked. Turns out they had something wrong in the setup on their side, she found it and no one else before her did. Naturally I was all thankful then and felt bad to have an attitude when I called. I wasn't rude but I'm sure she could tell my displeasure.

At any rate just wanted to say thanks to all that tried to help and to let you know my problem was resolved.

drkPu1se 05-03-2012 09:56 PM

I am having a durr hurr moment. I am about to purchase an ATT branded Torch soon. Not sure what the model is just yet. Will this work on the recent ones that have come out? like the 9800, 9810, 9860 or whatever else on ATT?

drkPu1se 05-04-2012 05:29 AM

I also forgot to ask... I know the differences between the GSM/3G radios of AT&T phones and T-Mobile phones... one is 1900 and the other is 2100... But I don't remember which is which. The 9800 can get into 1900 so I am wondering... Will the 9800 3G work on T-Mo? It really wouldn't matter too much because the areas I commonly peruse around only get T-Mo's 2G at best.... So I need Wi-Fi calling half the time XD. Which I understand that UMA is what does Wi-Fi Calling. So this guide is fitting.

Thank in advance..

dc/dc 05-04-2012 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drkPu1se (Post 1776796)
I also forgot to ask... I know the differences between the GSM/3G radios of AT&T phones and T-Mobile phones... one is 1900 and the other is 2100... But I don't remember which is which. The 9800 can get into 1900 so I am wondering... Will the 9800 3G work on T-Mo? It really wouldn't matter too much because the areas I commonly peruse around only get T-Mo's 2G at best.... So I need Wi-Fi calling half the time XD. Which I understand that UMA is what does Wi-Fi Calling. So this guide is fitting.

Thank in advance..

No, the 9800's 3G will not work on T-Mobile.

However, if you want a 9860, I would order an unlocked one from Expansys that has the T-Mobile 3G bands.

jpro 06-06-2012 03:22 PM

hello i have a unlocked 9860

When i get into the engineering screens i dont have the choices you list.
i dont have "mobile network engineering screens" and none of the options take me into options or sessions.

is it different on the 9860?