BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Verizon 9630 CDMA only? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=260324)

Rogers Pass 07-02-2012 11:54 AM

Verizon 9630 CDMA only?

Got a great deal on a Verizon 9630. I notice on the back cover just below the latch it says "Qualcomm 3G CDMA".

Is this a CDMA only phone? I've read statements here that the 9630 is CDMA only and others that they are GSM also.:???:

My hope was to unlock it and use it on Rogers.

Thanks!

Dubdub 07-02-2012 12:19 PM

Re: Verizon 9630 CDMA only?

I think it has both frequency bands and the GSM side is unlocked. make sure you check it first. And you might only get EDGE on Rogers, not 3G.

If you got it used, read our FAQ about buying a used BB on eBay. Will tell you some of the problems you might get from buying a used BB from any source.

Rogers Pass 07-03-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1781647)
I think it has both frequency bands and the GSM side is unlocked. make sure you check it first. And you might only get EDGE on Rogers, not 3G.

If you got it used, read our FAQ about buying a used BB on eBay. Will tell you some of the problems you might get from buying a used BB from any source.

Thanks Dubdub! Not sure how to check the bands/locking, other than research online. Do you have any tips?

Unlocking is another story I guess, or perhaps it is unlocked already. Can't tell because no functioning battery as yet.

Dubdub 07-03-2012 07:02 AM

BlackBerry Tour 9630 - Full phone specifications

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
3G Network HSDPA 2100
CDMA/EVDO Rev A 800/1900

Rogers Pass 07-11-2012 01:12 PM

Thanks. The phone seems to still be set up on the previous owner's Telus account. Inserting my Rogers SIM card get an "Invalid SIM Card" message.

From the "About" screen:

Blackberry 9630
Smartphone (3G CDMA)
V5.0.0419 (Platform 4.2.0.85)
3G Bands 1
Cryptographic Kernel V.3.8.5.85
Branding Version 1.0.126.472w
Micro Edition Configuration CLDC 1.1

Would a simple re-install make this phone useable on Rogers, or does it have to be unlocked, or can it even be unlocked for Rogers?

TIA

dc/dc 07-12-2012 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogers Pass (Post 1782436)
Thanks. The phone seems to still be set up on the previous owner's Telus account. Inserting my Rogers SIM card get an "Invalid SIM Card" message.

From the "About" screen:

Blackberry 9630
Smartphone (3G CDMA)
V5.0.0419 (Platform 4.2.0.85)
3G Bands 1
Cryptographic Kernel V.3.8.5.85
Branding Version 1.0.126.472w
Micro Edition Configuration CLDC 1.1

Would a simple re-install make this phone useable on Rogers, or does it have to be unlocked, or can it even be unlocked for Rogers?

TIA

It absolutely must be unlocked.

Rogers Pass 07-12-2012 11:20 AM

Just for the info of anyone else who has one of these phones, I talked to Telus and a very well informed lady there checked the IMEI number of my phone and told me that it was actually set up as a Telus phone, despite being badged as Verizon. I thought this was the case because the previous owner had the Telus icon on his home screen and a Telus number and had obviously made lots of calls (he never deleted his data, the battery died and he sold the phone)

So, these phones cannot be unlocked from the CDMA networks. They will only work on GSM with a Global Roaming SIM Card, which is a service Telus is phasing out in the fall of 2012.

On the Telus CDMA network these phones will continue to work just fine however.

And by the way, I purchased unlock codes from two eBay sellers, got the same code both times and neither worked. Their codes were eight digits and the phone prompts for nine digits. Don't waste your $.99 and time!

jsconyers 07-12-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogers Pass (Post 1782533)

And by the way, I purchased unlock codes from two eBay sellers, got the same code both times and neither worked. Their codes were eight digits and the phone prompts for nine digits. Don't waste your $.99 and time!

Don't buy unlock codes from eBay. Go to a reputable unlocker like HorizonWireless or click the link at the top of the page.

GFBzxc 07-14-2012 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogers Pass (Post 1782533)

So, these phones cannot be unlocked from the CDMA networks. They will only work on GSM with a Global Roaming SIM Card, which is a service Telus is phasing out in the fall of 2012.

On the Telus CDMA network these phones will continue to work just fine however.

And by the way, I purchased unlock codes from two eBay sellers, got the same code both times and neither worked. Their codes were eight digits
^^^^^^^
and the phone prompts for nine digits. Don't waste your $.99 and time!

In Crackberry forums they have a thread that provides free un lock codes or a method of doing this. I followed their method and was able to successfully unlock my BB Tour 9630 origionaly branded on Sprint int he USA.

Their method produced 16 digit unlock codes MEP 1 thru MEP 5. I do not know if this would help in your situation but maybe at least worht a look. As this is my First post here, I could not supply a link or I would have, but if you google "free unlock codes crackberry" it comes right up. The Thread is Full of posts from March First thru today , and feed back is positive.

Hope this helps

Garvin

GFBzxc 07-14-2012 10:54 AM

Dubdub ;

Thanks for those full specs above.. The info should aide me in my quest to find out Why my BB is having connection problems in Bangkok.
Garvin