BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Social Networking (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=144)
-   -   Facebook 1.9.0.20 now available in BlackBerry App World (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=239667)

akosnitzky 11-10-2010 10:01 AM

Facebook 1.9.0.20 now available in BlackBerry App World

http://www.blackberryforums.com/soci...iscussion.html

SteveO86 11-10-2010 06:40 PM

Does anyone know if this is different then the beta from betazone?

I have yet to reinstall facebook.

John Clark 11-10-2010 09:35 PM

I'm hearing people say it is very laggy. I think I'll keep my beta.

penguin3107 11-10-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveO86 (Post 1673205)
Does anyone know if this is different then the beta from betazone?

I have yet to reinstall facebook.

Yes, it's different.
Once very noticeable difference is that the released version includes support for Places.

Haven't noticed any significant lag yet. Seems to perform on par with the 1.9 beta version.

1pw 11-11-2010 09:32 AM

for anyone having problems getting the places to work. go to FB on your phone, press options, scroll down, is it checked to work? if not and its grayed out. do the following:

mine is also grayed out

Go To ACCOUNT / PRIVACY SETTINGS / CUSTOMISE SETTINGS - make sure Facebook Places in Checked / Enabled, should work fine then has done for my and a few friends who had the problem

chloebartlett 11-11-2010 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1pw (Post 1673341)
for anyone having problems getting the places to work. go to FB on your phone, press options, scroll down, is it checked to work? if not and its grayed out. do the following:

mine is also grayed out

Go To ACCOUNT / PRIVACY SETTINGS / CUSTOMISE SETTINGS - make sure Facebook Places in Checked / Enabled, should work fine then has done for my and a few friends who had the problem

Hi, I logged into facebook and followed your instructions, on my facebook the places is enabled but on my phone its still grey? Any ideas? :smile:

1pw 11-11-2010 09:39 AM

did you do a battery pull on your phone once you enabled it on the laptop?

chloebartlett 11-11-2010 09:40 AM

It was already enabled on the laptop x

1pw 11-11-2010 09:43 AM

and your GPS is turned on, on the phone too?

To turn on GPS - go to OPTIONS: ADVANCED: GPS: GPS SERVICES: ON

:)

chloebartlett 11-11-2010 09:44 AM

It is babs yeah, i downloaded the new facebook yesterday and i have a bb 9700 x

1pw 11-11-2010 09:59 AM

Ok. So -

your facebook on your desktop is like this:
Imageshack - fblaptop.jpg

your phone is like this
Imageshack - screenshot2010111114513.jpg

and your GPS is turned on, but you cant Check In? correct?

John Clark 11-11-2010 10:29 AM

I have the same problem. I've done all that and Facebook Places is still greyed out. I love RIM.

Oh, yeah, and they forced me to upgrade. (n)

Edit: I went to "check in" and the GPS would not find my location even though BBMaps finds it almost instantly. I checked in to some nearby place. After I did that now the option is checked. However, when I go to "check in" it still just shows a cell tower location on the map. Smooth RIM, smooth.

1pw 11-11-2010 10:59 AM

have you done a battery pull since its all been enabled?

penguin3107 11-11-2010 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1673364)
I have the same problem. I've done all that and Facebook Places is still greyed out.

I think this might be a BES/IT Policy issue.
I just tested a working device by activating it on BES. As soon as I did, the option greyed out.

RIM can be wildly retarded sometimes.
Places wasn't even in the latest beta that was available in Beta Zone. They just dumped the feature into a released version.
What's the point of beta testing if you don't get to test the actual features that will be in the release?

All in all, this is yet another #fail on RIM's part. Anyone who has seen the Android and iPhone Facebook apps knows that RIM's FB app is miles behind.

John Clark 11-11-2010 02:09 PM

I have it selected now but I cannot get GPS to work. I get cell tower location or something...it only gives a location to within 3 miles.

It's a big fail. They already locked out the address book link via IT Policy (meaning your IT has to specifically go in and ALLOW it) and our BES doesn't even have the policy installed so it's blocked by default.

Major fail, RIM. Major.

TrickyT 11-11-2010 04:07 PM

I upgraded to the latest version of Facebook 1.9 on my BB9700. It then placed all of my old facebook messages into my mail folder etc.

I assumed these were duplicates etc so deleted them.

I received a new FB messaged today on my BB, read it and deleted it.

Decided to reply by logging on to my PC when I got home only to find out that ALL of my FB messages have been deleted from the main site!

Have I got something set up wrong on the phone or site? I the older version 1.8 if I deleted the message on my BB it stayed on the FB site until I deleted it there.

Anyone else having this problem?

John Clark 11-11-2010 04:12 PM

If you look in the Options for Facebook you will see an option to check for "BlackBerry Message application." You can uncheck that and the messages will not show up in your Message list. If you read the note below that option it specifically states that deleting the messages will delete them from your Facebook account.

TrickyT 11-11-2010 04:34 PM

Never read the small print, seems a strange thing to add personally!

I just tried that, the message now only appears in the FB application. But still deletes it from the FB site when it is deleted from the FB application on the BB. I tried a battery pull but that has made no difference.

Regards

Trevor

John Clark 11-12-2010 04:45 PM

Re: Facebook 1.9.0.20 now available in BlackBerry App World

If you delete from the device it will delete from FB. That's how it works. It doesn't matter whether it shows in the Message app or not. If you delete it, it will delete on the site. Personally, I like that.

John Clark 11-12-2010 04:56 PM

Re: Facebook 1.9.0.20 now available in BlackBerry App World

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1673371)
I think this might be a BES/IT Policy issue.
I just tested a working device by activating it on BES. As soon as I did, the option greyed out.

RIM can be wildly retarded sometimes.
Places wasn't even in the latest beta that was available in Beta Zone. They just dumped the feature into a released version.
What's the point of beta testing if you don't get to test the actual features that will be in the release?

All in all, this is yet another #fail on RIM's part. Anyone who has seen the Android and iPhone Facebook apps knows that RIM's FB app is miles behind.

Well, it turns out none of this is an IT policy issue. The greyed out option in Facebook happens on devices even if they have never been on a BES. Checking in for the first time fixes this.

Lack of a GPS signal in the Places >Add a Place is a RIM bug either in the OS or the Facebook app for the Torch. If you go in and turn off "Location Data" (not
"Location Aiding") in the Location Settings in Options >Device >Location Settings it will pick up GPS every time as long as you are outside with a good GPS signal. The downside of this workaround is that if you are inside it will not pick up any cell tower triangulation. So, it is something in the software that prevents it from getting a GPS signal if it finds a cell tower signal.

RIM is slowly becoming aware there is a problem. It would really have been good for them if they would have put this out for the betazone testers before dumping in AppWorld for all but, alas, they didn't.

There is a thread in the Betazone Feedback area for Facebook 1.9 where this is a hot topic. Anyone having the issue of Places not picking up a GPS signal in "Add a Place" should post over there and provide the specifics they are asking for.

You'll need a betazone membership but here is the link:

https://www.blackberry.com/beta/threads/view/2002?