BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9500 Series Discussion - Storm (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Google maps **with internal GPS** works on Storm 9530! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=161490)

GT5L 11-25-2008 01:59 PM

Google maps **with internal GPS** works on Storm 9530!

Ok, like many others, on the VZW CDMA Storm 9530, BB Maps works fine with great accuracy and Google maps gives you accuracy within 3800 meters because it keeps waiting for GPS. Here is what's new, I had my device unlocked yesterday and I started using my TMO SIM, and today I tried Google Maps, it gave me accuracy withing 5 meters, 5 meters guys. This tells me tha it is doing so with GPS data. Interestingly, when I switched to CDMA (VZW) I couldn't get google maps to work with GPS. The only explanation I have is that somehow VZW is disabling handing the GPS data to the Google Maps app on the Storm. Don't ask me how, I don't know and this is just a theory.

YoYoSlap 11-25-2008 02:55 PM

Supposedly google is working on an update for maps to make the gps on storm work. But now that your saying GPS works when phone is on different carrier is strange.

wiredwrx 11-25-2008 05:08 PM

The disabling of the internal GPS is probably some sort of "service" book, or IT Policy pushed by VZ, to use thier VZnav.

Real shame, since GMaps is not a real replacement for VZnav, but I don't get to make decisions for VZ.

I hope Google figures it out.

ddarvish 11-26-2008 02:18 AM

hmm that is really damn interesting and makes me think that i will slices someones throat at vzw.. lol but seriously mebe i need to get some BS prepaid tmo account sim car just to just google maps?

hudres 11-26-2008 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoYoSlap (Post 1182952)
Supposedly google is working on an update for maps to make the gps on storm work. But now that your saying GPS works when phone is on different carrier is strange.

Not that strange when you consider Verizon's long standing policy towards use of GPS. They have locked out the 8703e for a long time to force users to upgrade and then get VZNav. 73

LewieE 12-06-2008 02:08 PM

How do you get your Storm "unlocked"?

recca 12-06-2008 04:05 PM

^^ read around the forum or do a search.

dhendriksen 12-06-2008 04:28 PM

Wirelessly posted

The reason is because T-Mobile doesn't have A-GPS locked down. On Google support pages they have stated the problem lies in the fact the application tries A-GPS and when that doesn't work it skips to cell triangulation. Google admits it is a problem in the software. The GPS is unlocked, google is aware of the issue and will release an updated app soon.

The GPS on the Storm is unlocked, I have other apps that use the GPS just fine.

zerog46 12-06-2008 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LewieE (Post 1198878)
How do you get your Storm "unlocked"?

Got to Horizon in my sig.

buckleyv 12-07-2008 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dhendriksen (Post 1199039)
Wirelessly posted

The reason is because T-Mobile doesn't have A-GPS locked down. On Google support pages they have stated the problem lies in the fact the application tries A-GPS and when that doesn't work it skips to cell triangulation. Google admits it is a problem in the software. The GPS is unlocked, google is aware of the issue and will release an updated app soon.

The GPS on the Storm is unlocked, I have other apps that use the GPS just fine.

Can you tell me specifically what apps you have gotten to access the GPS?

themacace 12-19-2008 04:41 AM

that is absolutely disgusting. I am appalled at this typical verizon trash behavior. They tell us that the GPS is REALLY unlocked and all that someone needs to do is code a STORM SPECIFIC app... and apparently its bs! Its verizon locking it down all along......
i should have known better. anyone have a way to hack the hell out of this phone and thwart verizons ridiculous policies? (or just screw Verizon over and hurt their revenues really bad... at this point i detest this company more than words can express...)

ddarvish 12-19-2008 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by themacace (Post 1215528)
that is absolutely disgusting. I am appalled at this typical verizon trash behavior. They tell us that the GPS is REALLY unlocked and all that someone needs to do is code a STORM SPECIFIC app... and apparently its bs! Its verizon locking it down all along......
i should have known better. anyone have a way to hack the hell out of this phone and thwart verizons ridiculous policies? (or just screw Verizon over and hurt their revenues really bad... at this point i detest this company more than words can express...)

before you go apeshit i have used both amAze GPS and weather bug (which uses the internal GPS to determine my location and then provide weather conditions for the place i am at) and they both work great and use the internal gps. verizon even unlocked GPS on the 8330 and 8830 a couple weeks ago so NO it is not locked down.

themacace 12-19-2008 04:54 AM

if that is the case then why does the GPS INSTANTLY get a lock when you switch it to a GSM network...

chrisb3 12-19-2008 07:53 AM

Wirelessly posted (8800)

IMO, google maps needs some Storm-specific tweakage and it will work fine witn the internal GPS

illig 12-19-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisb3 (Post 1215608)
Wirelessly posted (8800)

IMO, google maps needs some Storm-specific tweakage and it will work fine witn the internal GPS

yep, they're apparently working on a solution:
google DOT COM /support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=777251d49c2c3dac&hl=en

jsntrenkler 12-19-2008 12:10 PM

I look forward to the Google Maps update, I find it much better than BB Maps for my usage.

TheBigNewt 12-19-2008 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddarvish (Post 1215531)
verizon even unlocked GPS on the 8330 and 8830 a couple weeks ago so NO it is not locked down.

That supposedly did happen recently. Hopefully GoogleMaps will come around soon. That would be very nice indeed.

zduchene 12-21-2008 04:41 AM

I can't get google maps to find the GPS signal...how does that work?

BigA 12-21-2008 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zduchene (Post 1217689)
I can't get google maps to find the GPS signal...how does that work?

If you read the above posts correctly you will (hopefully) understand that the user that got it working with a T-MOBILE SIM card with an UNLOCKED Storm. This causes your "Service Books" to change to TMO's network when using a TMO sim card, where TMO service books are less restrictive than Verizon's.
Also posted was that there was a fix coming from Google to work on Verizon's network.

Indiana_Jones 01-11-2009 04:57 PM

The GPS works with:

BB Maps
Nav4All
WeatherBug
GPSTracker

The GPS in the Storm is NOT locked down. It's a coding issue with GoogleMaps.