BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8900 Series Discussion - Javelin (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   What 3rd Party Apps do you love for the 8900? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=183917)

laur419 03-31-2009 05:14 PM

What 3rd Party Apps do you love for the 8900?

Ok, I'm starting a new thread. I hope it's not beating a dead horse, but it would be nice to have a place where all this info and opinion stuff is.

So, what 3rd party apps (from Handango, or others) do you love?

My faves:

World Mate Live: this application is amazing. I pay the fee (I think it's $10/month USD) when I'm traveling and this application posts my flight delays and gate changes before the airline even does! I love the currency converter and weather maps as well (available on the free version).

Blackberry Alerts: This was intended for the lazy like me. For the way I set it, if it blinks blue, it's a text and I should haul my dead ass over to my phone. If it's purple, it's an e-mail and can totally wait. Plus, it makes your Berry look super pretty and swish with all the colored lights. ;-)

Facebook: It is what it is. I say no more.

Opera Mini: Just a fantastic browser. I like it so much more than the one that comes with the phone.

Google Maps: If I'm away from home, I never know where things are. I open Google Maps. I hit locate. Type "Starbucks." Nearest ones pop up. Lack of caffeine crisis averted. ;-D Even if I'm abroad!

What about you guys?

sbs71usa 03-31-2009 06:21 PM

Great advice, I'll definitely check out World Mate Live. Sounds like a great app!

Here are some of my faves: Superpages Mobile - Local access to business listings, People, Movies, Theaters, Weather, Maps, WiFi Finder and Favorites. Cool app with small footprint.

Vlingo - the best voice recognition software I've ever used, way better than the native one on the BB. You can do way more, worth a look see.

Slacker Mobile and FlyCast - Streaming Radio...Slacker is just like Pandora and works very well on the 8900. FlyCast is cool if you're into Shoutcast, which I am.

Viigo - Phenomenal News & RSS reader, you can pick tons of channels within many different categories, I use it for all my sports, and weather.

FML - F My Life - One of the funniest blogs on the web, installs as an app but it just quickly links you to the site. Fun for killing time if you're waiting for a plane or train or bus.

Google Mobile App
Google Maps
Twitterberry
Opera Browser
Facebook

That should keep you busy for a while :-)

laur419 03-31-2009 06:30 PM

I love FML!!! I didn't know you could do it as an app... but I will install the link. That stuff is hilarious (even if I believe some of it has to be made up!! ;)

What's Google Mobile?

sbs71usa 03-31-2009 06:34 PM

Google Mobile essentially is a Google search window built on your screen.
www dot google dot com/mobile/blackberry/app dot html
(Not enough posts yet, how lame, lol)

FML has to be made up...but it totally rocks!

R-W 03-31-2009 08:48 PM

I love....

WXSYS On Demand
Opera Mini
Bolt
Poynt
reQall
Flickr
My kids love iBee Farting :smile:
amAze
Nav4All
Google Maps
Viigo
BBTran

But, I want something that will track a BB also :idea:

duane534 03-31-2009 09:34 PM

YouMail!

monuman 04-01-2009 08:24 AM

Vlingo
Bolt
Google Mobile App
Youmail
Vymail

bluejacket 04-01-2009 08:35 AM

Here's another useful 3rd party app link:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...downloads.html

phrider 04-01-2009 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbs71usa (Post 1338729)
Google Mobile essentially is a Google search window built on your screen.
Google Mobile | Google Mobile App for your BlackBerry phone
(Not enough posts yet, how lame, lol)

Or just m.google.com (http://m.google.com) -- the latest version for the 8900 adds voice recognition and search, which helps hugely if you know how the words sounds but can't spell it. Google seems to have captured many of the problematic English words that are spelled far differently than they sound.

Google maps

Roblock for security

scangwinnett 04-01-2009 09:30 AM

PodTrapper

My favorite is PodTrapper for downloading (from the BB itself) and listening to podcasts.

badandy 04-01-2009 01:00 PM

Slacker Radio is by far my favorite app on my Blackberry. Stable, reliable, and the music station programming is better than what I get on satellite, AND ITS FREE! I've cancelled both my XM and Sirius subscriptions in two of my vehicles and plugin my BB instead. No annoying DJs, no commercials, just great music. Highest recommendation.

Bluffheights90814 04-01-2009 02:31 PM

So far my fav free apps are:

BBWeather
Opera Mini
Bolt
Beyond411 Search
QuickPull
Google Maps
BerryTorch
MySpace
Facebook
TwitterBerry
Slacker
amAze (great free voice directed GPS)
Roblock (not free)

(a fantastic security program tha will totally wipe both your phone and mem card if phone is stolen or an unautorized sim card is inserted....can remotely wipe phone via web interface and can track phone by gps or set off and alarm using your phone when finished wiping it!)

Innovative Mobile Softwares For Business and Individuals - The VAPSSKY ($9.95 and now offering 50% disc price of $4.95) GREAT DEAL!

snoopy0011 04-01-2009 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluffheights90814 (Post 1339615)
So far my fav free apps are:

BBWeather
Opera Mini
Bolt
Beyond411 Search
QuickPull
Google Maps
BerryTorch
MySpace
Facebook
TwitterBerry
Slacker
amAze (great free voice directed GPS)
Roblock (not free)

(a fantastic security program tha will totally wipe both your phone and mem card if phone is stolen or an unautorized sim card is inserted....can remotely wipe phone via web interface and can track phone by gps or set off and alarm using your phone when finished wiping it!)

Innovative Mobile Softwares For Business and Individuals - The VAPSSKY ($9.95 and now offering 50% disc price of $4.95) GREAT DEAL!

thanks for the great deal....

i was thinking of getting and 50% off, i am getting it now.....

laur419 04-01-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badandy (Post 1339511)
Slacker Radio is by far my favorite app on my Blackberry. Stable, reliable, and the music station programming is better than what I get on satellite, AND ITS FREE! I've cancelled both my XM and Sirius subscriptions in two of my vehicles and plugin my BB instead. No annoying DJs, no commercials, just great music. Highest recommendation.

Can you get any of the mainstream stations with Slacker that you would get on XM or Sirius? Like, BBC for example?

badandy 04-01-2009 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laur419 (Post 1339748)
Can you get any of the mainstream stations with Slacker that you would get on XM or Sirius? Like, BBC for example?

There are no syndicated stations on Slacker (part of the reason it's free I'm sure). It's geared pretty much toward music only, with a couple comedy channels mixed in. There are some nice international stations on there as well.

The cool thing is that you can pre-load a few hours of station programming onto your phone for those long flights overseas.

Unfortunately the forum admin won't let me post a link to it yet, but its just slacker.com if you want to take a look.

StanMort 04-02-2009 07:42 PM

The Hockey News. I just wish there was a NFL version of this amazing app

laur419 04-02-2009 09:13 PM

I actually downloaded iheartradio. Really great quality!

WayneHardy 04-03-2009 04:42 AM

Slacker.com says it is US only, any UK radio apps?

crazy4theberry 04-03-2009 10:51 AM

One that I didn't see much of was Quick Launch. This is an awesome app and is definitely my most used. Also,
Slacker
Facebook
Quick Pull
Opera Mini
amAze GPS
vlingo
PeekaWho
Google Maps
ESPN
USA Today
CNN

laur419 04-03-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazy4theberry (Post 1341491)
One that I didn't see much of was Quick Launch. This is an awesome app and is definitely my most used. Also,
Slacker
Facebook
Quick Pull
Opera Mini
amAze GPS
vlingo
PeekaWho
Google Maps
ESPN
USA Today
CNN

I've never heard of Quick Launch. What is it? I'm open to possibilities!

Oh and PeekaWho... funny name, has me intrigued...never heard of it. ;)