BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Mac Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   BB Desktop software help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=243094)

whtwolf 01-10-2011 02:42 PM

BB Desktop software help

I have a BB Storm. I updated the OS a few months ago through desktop manager and everything worked well. A few days ago I wanted to update my contact list through my mac and when I plug my Storm into desktop via supplied USB cable, the software keeps telling me that nothing is connected yet mass storage works perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated as I am about to flush the BB down the toilet soon and get an iphone. I really like my BB but this issue is driving me nuts.

I should also mention that my os is 10.6.6 now but even under 10.6.5 it didn't work

Thank you

Sytner 01-10-2011 02:48 PM

Re: BB Desktop software help

Are you sure that you have the latest version installed of desktop manager?

Try performing the following actions:

* Turn off synchronization applications or anti-virus applications temporarily.
* Verify that you are not running software that scans the communications ports on your computer.

Check the connection options at the top of desktop manager, and if all else fails try reinstalling Desktop manager.

whtwolf 01-11-2011 09:02 AM

Hello

The version of BB desktop is 2.0.0 (Build 65)
There is no other sync application running on my mac just the operating system and BB desktop running. Wireless is turned of and no network cable plugged in. I have tried deleting BB desktop and re-installing and still the same issue.

Dubdub 01-11-2011 10:00 AM

Did you try a battery pull on the BB? And a reboot of the Mac?

whtwolf 01-11-2011 10:10 AM

I found the reason.

1. BB Desktop is only 32 bit mode and my mac is full 64 bit mode

work around
I downloaded a new app that gave me the option to start in 32 bit mode
Link: Startup Mode Selector
while in 32 bit mode I launched the application and was able to connect my BB to desktop and everything works great.

Cons:
Once in 32 bit mode the mac stays in 32 bit mode until you re-launch the app and start up again in 64 bit mode.

This is a work around and hopefully RIM will release a new version of desktop for full support of 64 bit

Thank you for all the responses.

Dubdub 01-11-2011 10:20 AM

Strange that I have not run into that problem on my MacBook Pro and mini.

Running DM 2.0 right now.

whtwolf 01-11-2011 10:25 AM

Do you have full support for a 64 bit kernels? Only snow leopard supports 64 bit and if you had leopard installed and then just upgraded to snow leopard then you are running in 32 bit mode. All my newer macs run in only 64 bit mode as all the software I use is all writen for 64 bit.

Dubdub 01-11-2011 10:50 AM

I could be in 32bit. Never been an issue as it does what I need it to do.

whtwolf 01-11-2011 11:32 AM

I'm just glad I figured it out I hated entering contact info on my BB and then having to redo it on my mac.