BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Linux Users Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   The secret Pearl handshake! (developer info) (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=65690)

rivviepop 02-19-2007 04:56 PM

The secret Pearl handshake! (developer info)

Chris F., of the Barry project, sent over an email earlier and included some exciting news:

Quote:

I'm not sure if you saw the latest CVS news I posted to the Barry mailing list, but I recently discovered the secret handshake for the Pearl, so that it allows data access.

The Pearl seems to have 3 different Product ID's:

0006 - the default, where only mass storage is available
0001 - with a special usb control msg, behaves like an old Blackberry
0004 - with a different usb control msg, shows 2 usb interfaces, one for data, the other for mass storage.
The latest CVS version of bcharge.cc sets the Pearl to 500mA, as well as to Product ID 0004. As well, the latest CVS of btool should detect that 0004, and let you read data. The backup tool should work as well, but I didn't get a chance to test it before my Pearl test device was snatched away. :-)
So, if you're itching for some action grab a copy of the latest CVS code, give it a compile and test -- I'm sure they'd love to hear feedback! Obviously without a Pearl now he's a little devel-crippled and needs us to help. It's the linux way. :)

LunkHead 02-19-2007 08:34 PM

Thanks again! Great stuff!!!! I am going to give it a run and see.....

rivviepop 02-20-2007 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead
Thanks again! Great stuff!!!! I am going to give it a run and see.....

I had a little time tonight to mess with it, btool now works well. I have to 'rmmod usb-storage' after plugging it in in order for the kernel to release the interface, but then it starts to work normally. I can dump the address book with more or less good results (some minor bugs).

LunkHead 02-20-2007 05:39 PM

@ rivviepop

I am off this weekend and am going to give it a run.... Any pre-compile suggestions????

Thanks in advance!

rivviepop 02-20-2007 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LunkHead
@ rivviepop
I am off this weekend and am going to give it a run.... Any pre-compile suggestions????

Nope, it was smooth -- I compiled CVS HEAD, not the download tarball. Make sure you have g++ and libusb-devel installed, and run:

- ./buildgen.sh (runs autoconf/automake to make ./configure)
- ./configure (builds Makefile)
- ./make (duh :) )

The resulting binaries are under tools/, mainly you're after btool and bcharge. I had to 'rmmod usb-storage' *after* plugging in the Pearl, then btool worked fine. I was able to list my address book (etc.), dump everything to a LDIF file, and so on.

LunkHead 02-20-2007 07:59 PM

Thanks dude! You rock! I will give it a run this weekend and post back....

BTW... Love the noob /config and /make..... :) :)

jahf 04-25-2007 12:19 AM

I'm wondering what the chances are that this information could be used to enable BT modem access in Linux in a more generic way?

I have a Nokia 770 that is obviously seeing the first product ID, and says my phone doesn't have any data access. Getting my 770 working with my Pearl as a data connection is the last step on my road to GPS panacea.

APPENDAGE: It would seem that the multiple product IDs logically is about the USB, not BT ... if someone confirms that just ignore this post :)