BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Password failure - locked out (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=145750)

KAT1 08-18-2008 12:13 PM

Password failure - locked out

Help! I have been using a password to access my BB Curve 8310. Earlier this week my password (the same one I've been using) would not work. Now I have exceeded the number of attempts. I do not want to miss my missed calls or text msgs. How do I gain access to my BB. My 88 yr old mother is traveling here (Anchorage, AK) and I need to use my phone. Please help! Thank you:cry:

mckinneycm 08-18-2008 12:14 PM

Doesn't that wipe the device if you exceed the attempts?

JSanders 08-18-2008 12:17 PM

Exceeding the 10 PW attempts will wipe the device of all personal data, there is no way around it.

Make sure you don't have the SHIFT key depressed, or whatever.

But there is no way around the password, or the wipe. Your BB will still work afterwards, you just won't have your calendar, address book, messages, etc., on the device.

KAT1 08-18-2008 04:19 PM

Ok, I'm not a techy, I just want to use my phone and keep my information on it. I used my phone the night before, next morning my password does not work. WHY? It is the same password I have always used. Surely someone from BB can give me an answer to this. Isn't there a tech support number I can call? I did not change my password! What is keeping the same thing from happening again? I am desperate, please help!

mckinneycm 08-18-2008 04:20 PM

Did you already enter it 10 times incorrectly??

KAT1 08-18-2008 04:29 PM

No, I entered it 10 times correctly. Can you help me?

NJBlackBerry 08-18-2008 04:31 PM

Did the phone ask you to type the word BLACKBERRY twice?

What does the phone show now?

penguin3107 08-18-2008 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAT1 (Post 1065116)
No, I entered it 10 times correctly. Can you help me?

No, you didn't. If you entered the correct password, then you would not be posting about this problem here.

For some reason, your BlackBerry doesn't agree with you regarding what the "correct" password is. You say it's abcd, but it thinks it's 1234.

That aside... the ONLY way to solve this problem of yours is to enter the password that the blackberry device wants you to enter.
If you don't know what that is... which you obviously don't... then you're out of luck, and your data will be wiped from the device to allow you back in.

Enter the wrong password 10 times, and you will get a warning on your last attempt indicating that your data is about to be wiped. Do that, and when the device resets, you'll get to set a new password. Make sure you remember what it is, and then you won't have this issue again.

KAT1 08-18-2008 04:40 PM

I took the battery out. Then it said enter "blackberry" to continue:; I entered blackberry then pressed the track ball. Now it says, "Last Attempt! Information will be erased on failure!"

penguin3107 08-18-2008 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAT1 (Post 1065146)
I took the battery out. Then it said enter "blackberry" to continue:; I entered blackberry then pressed the track ball. Now it says, "Last Attempt! Information will be erased on failure!"

See my post above.
Your only option at this point is to allow the device to erase itself and then start over.

JSanders 08-18-2008 04:43 PM

Honestly, your BB did not change the PW on its own overnight, it just doesn't happen.

KAT1 08-18-2008 04:51 PM

Ok, then what happened? It is the same password I have been using for a long time now - not just on the BB.

KAT1 08-18-2008 04:53 PM

If I go to AT&T can they transfer my data and then put it back on my phone? I still have my receipt and box.

CO_BBTechie 08-18-2008 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAT1 (Post 1065161)
Ok, then what happened? It is the same password I have been using for a long time now - not just on the BB.

The only logical explanations are that your input isn't being properly recognized or someone changed your password. If you got the device wet for example, your keys may not be behaving normally.

And since you've indicated it's a password you've "been using for a long time" then the likelihood of someone knowing it increases.

And no, AT&T cannot access the information without the correct password either.

biggem001 08-18-2008 05:02 PM

you should have just been synching your device to your pc. i synch my device every night. i plug it in, and it does it on it's own.

now if i ever lose my data, i plug it in and it updates it no problem.

KAT1 08-18-2008 05:09 PM

Before, when I would put my password in it would show ******, now it shows the letter of the key pressed. Even when I start putting the password in the final attempt it shows the letters instead of the ********. I clear the letters so it will not erase my data. Does this help anyone understand my problem. And, I do understand it is my problem. I was just hoping someone would be able to help me. Bless you and Thanks!

CO_BBTechie 08-18-2008 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAT1 (Post 1065203)
Before, when I would put my password in it would show ******, now it shows the letter of the key pressed. Even when I start putting the password in the final attempt it shows the letters instead of the ********. I clear the letters so it will not erase my data. Does this help anyone understand my problem. And, I do understand it is my problem. I was just hoping someone would be able to help me. Bless you and Thanks!

This is your FAILSAFE to show you the letters that are being typed. The BB goes into this mode when you are about to wipe the device. This is to give you visual feedback of a possible error on your part (capital letters, bad keys, etc.)

monkeypaw 08-18-2008 05:11 PM

A few months ago someone had a problem where it was entering in a foreign language like Greek or something. So the password of course couldn't be entered. Maybe this is the issue. The fix was to change the input language. But seems like it has to be unlocked to do this:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...-language.html

greggebhardt 08-18-2008 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggem001 (Post 1065188)
you should have just been synching your device to your pc. i synch my device every night. i plug it in, and it does it on it's own.

now if i ever lose my data, i plug it in and it updates it no problem.

Some "stuff", if you can't get your password to work, you are SOL.

For instance, your password keeper can be backed up but without the password you can never see the inforamtion again. Sync you new device with your data from the old and it still asks for the same password. No password, no data for you!

As far as the original poster goes, I have never heard of a Blackberry having a password problem, you either know it or you do not. I know you are abosolutely positive you know it but it had to get changed some how.

You might as well let it wipe as nothing will recover the information. Just how secure would our information be if there was a secret back door to get to that data?

biggem001 08-18-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggebhardt (Post 1065213)
Some "stuff", if you can't get your password to work, you are SOL.

For instance, your password keeper can be backed up but without the password you can never see the inforamtion again. Sync you new device with your data from the old and it still asks for the same password. No password, no data for you!

As far as the original poster goes, I have never heard of a Blackberry having a password problem, you either know it or you do not. I know you are abosolutely positive you know it but it had to get changed some how.

You might as well let it wipe as nothing will recover the information. Just how secure would our information be if there was a secret back door to get to that data?

i was saying before the password mysteriously stopped working, he should of had a backup of the data.