BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2.9 MB Download Limitation (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=165087)

pete4215 12-13-2008 10:55 PM

2.9 MB Download Limitation

There have been a number of postings regarding the 2.9 MB download limitation and whether the issue is the carrier or Blackberry. I have been having this issue on my TMO Curve.
I have been bugging TMO about this for a while and finally have a response.

Turns out it is not TMO. Blackberry sets the Attachment limit on the Blackberry Internet Service.

There are two ways to handle email attachments on a BlackBerry: Download and Open. (More details on the difference below.) For email accounts using BlackBerry Internet E-mail Service (not using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server), the maximum size for Download is 3MB, and the maximum size for Open is 8MB. These maximums are implemented and enforced by RIM, not by T-Mobile. They are the same for all carriers who offer BlackBerry service.

When viewing an email that has an attachment, the user can press the Menu Key and then choose either "Open Attachment" or "Download Attachment".

1) Download: A full copy of the file in its native format (Word, Powerpoint, PDF, etc) is saved onto the BlackBerry device. Then you can view it, edit it, copy it to a PC, etc. Similar to when you save an email attachment to you laptop hard drive. This is a new feature this year. The maximum size for Download is 3MB.

2) Open: A stripped-down and compressed version of the file is temporarily downloaded to the BlackBerry device so that you can view it. You cannot edit it. The maximum size for Open is 8MB.

My next post will have the URLs to this where this limitation is defined.

Note, for email accounts using a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, the default maximum for Download is 3MB, but it can be increased.

pete4215 12-13-2008 10:56 PM

Here are the URLs to Blackberry about the 2.9 Download limitation.
RIM publishes the 3MB maximum here:
View Document.

And they publish the 8MB maximum here:
View Document.

GrandMstrBud 12-14-2008 12:18 AM

Where can you change the maximum download size?

pete4215 12-14-2008 08:37 AM

Can't Change the Limit

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrandMstrBud (Post 1208509)
Where can you change the maximum download size?

I don't think you can change it as it is imposed by RIM on the Internet Service. If you are using BES your administrator can change the limit.:cry:

GrandMstrBud 12-14-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete4215 (Post 1208691)
I don't think you can change it as it is imposed by RIM on the Internet Service. If you are using BES your administrator can change the limit.:cry:

I am on BES and I am the admin for our BES. We have not had it for a long time so I have not gone through all the features of it and really we don't have a lot of users on it either.

SteveO86 12-14-2008 09:16 PM

What I do with large attachments, I send them all to my Yahoo account and sign into via Opera Mini were I can download them right to my Media Card.