BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8100 Series Discussion - Pearl (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=71)
-   -   Trackwheel Death (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=45805)

rjharary 09-05-2006 12:47 PM

Trackwheel Death

Hey, does anybody else think tht maybe they killed the trackwheel because people were complaining about pain? I'm always having wrist pain on my right wrist, and I am almost 100% sure it is from the berry. That being said, the trackwheel is a very easy to use peice of hardware and every BB user loves it. Why then would they just eliminate it? Lawsuit? any thoughts?

KCM 09-05-2006 12:48 PM

They chose to do away with it so that they could create slimmer devices...to keep up with competition regarding form factor.

rjharary 09-05-2006 12:49 PM

The Q has a trackwheel and is quite slim

flash24 09-05-2006 12:50 PM

I'm not having any wrist problems.. and I don't really find it hard to use either, no problems here. But I would give the roller a try and compare which one is more easier to use. I just hope they wont get rid of it, because some users might prefer the trackwheel over the roller.

SimonMac 09-05-2006 01:24 PM

I always thought the "death" of the track wheel was to make the devices easier to use for left handed people.

rjharary 09-05-2006 04:41 PM

ah... never thought of that one, good point

kwang98131 09-05-2006 04:43 PM

forget about them "lefties" haha :razz:

aggravation 09-05-2006 04:46 PM

I'm new to BB and just bought a 7100i a few weeks ago but I'd gladly spend the money for a newer model with the joystick thing like I saw on the 8*** whatever-model that everyone is dying to get.
And I'd pay it even if the change from trackwheel to joy/button was the only new feature! I hate the wheel, it's totally ergo-unfriendly for one handed use.

thought 09-05-2006 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjharary
The Q has a trackwheel and is quite slim

Yes, but the Q feels rather flimsy...and the trackwheel doesn't have the nice feel that BB trackwheel's have...

RoadRider 09-05-2006 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggravation
I'm new to BB and just bought a 7100i a few weeks ago but I'd gladly spend the money for a newer model with the joystick thing like I saw on the 8*** whatever-model that everyone is dying to get.
And I'd pay it even if the change from trackwheel to joy/button was the only new feature! I hate the wheel, it's totally ergo-unfriendly for one handed use.

I for one find the trackwheel just the opposite. It MAKES the 8700 an easy one hander. I might have tried Suretype, but giving up the trackwheel will take a much harder sell on me.

Boy Genius 09-05-2006 08:51 PM

Well, the Q does have a trackwheel, but RIM's trackwheel was kinda the same throughout the devices so there was probably a certain hardware component that couldn't be reduced in size, thats my guess, the Q trackwheel sucks

noeffectx 09-05-2006 09:10 PM

people who got "thumb pain" needs to play xbox, playstation, psp, or nintendo more often for daily thumb fitness trainning.

tprime 09-05-2006 10:43 PM

Roller ball make for one handed use right handed or left handed. Sometimes when I'm working I only have my left hand free so the rollerball seems like an improvement to me.

thought 09-06-2006 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boygenius
the Q trackwheel sucks

BG, you really cut to the chase...you are so correct...the trackwheel on the Q doesn't even begin to compare with a BB trackwheel...

rjharary 09-06-2006 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thought
BG, you really cut to the chase...you are so correct...the trackwheel on the Q doesn't even begin to compare with a BB trackwheel...

I never tried it, Im not the verizon type. But I'm sure the guys at Rim could develop a thin device with a great trackwheel. I really think its the Wrist thing. I had an e61 a month ago and it was much easier on my wrist (though the bb connect doesnt compare)