BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Carrier Specific Issues (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   BB without data plan for Verizon? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=189786)

sunnyphilly123 05-12-2009 07:59 PM

BB without data plan for Verizon?

If my carrier is Verizon, how do I get a BB without the data plan?
I've been trying to buy one on the verizonwireless site, but it will not let me buy the device without signing up for the data plan (that costs 29.99)
What do i do?

thanks!

- phil

aiharkness 05-12-2009 08:03 PM

Wirelessly posted (8820)

I've heard VZW will not sell a blackberry without a data plan. Apparently that is still true.

jsconyers 05-12-2009 08:03 PM

Welcome to the forums.

You cannot with Verizon. They will not allow a BB on their network without a BlackBerry data plan.

cakvalasc 05-12-2009 08:04 PM

Uh it wont let you. Sprint offers a Everything Data Plan for 69.99 without having to add a Blackberry Services. They offer the Curve 8330m and Curve 8350i (IDEN)

jsconyers 05-12-2009 08:07 PM

Verizon is the only carrier that enforces this as far as I know.

hotburnttoast 05-12-2009 09:06 PM

I think with Sprint you have to have a data plan as well.

RedlineGo 05-13-2009 12:35 AM

You know, Verizon has plans that are specific to the blackberry so maybe going with one of those plans instead of going with a regular calling plan and the blackberry data plan might be cheaper. Just FYI.

zerog46 05-13-2009 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1381403)
Verizon is the only carrier that enforces this as far as I know.

For now: Changes afoot at T-Mobile; smartphones to require data plans, family messaging rate hike : Boy Genius Report

Dawg 05-13-2009 05:01 AM

sprint does make you get the data plan as well

Trimix 05-16-2009 12:25 PM

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

alb123 05-21-2009 01:13 AM

I still, for the life of me can not figure out why one would want a BlackBerry without a data plan. Get an iPod Touch....They're way cooler looking and they have wifi connectivity. Plus, they have like a million farting apps! ;-)

ALB

Trimix 05-21-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alb123 (Post 1388285)
I still, for the life of me can not figure out why one would want a BlackBerry without a data plan. Get an iPod Touch....They're way cooler looking and they have wifi connectivity. Plus, they have like a million farting apps! ;-)

ALB

Getting a data plan may not be worth it for some people (ie they dont need to check their emails every 5minutes), but they still like having the all in oneness of a PDA+phone.

dc/dc 05-21-2009 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trimix (Post 1388593)
Getting a data plan may not be worth it for some people (ie they dont need to check their emails every 5minutes), but they still like having the all in oneness of a PDA+phone.

It doesn't negate the fact that this post is true:
BlackBerryForums.com : Your Number One BlackBerry Community - View Single Post - Blackberry Bold AT&T Without Data Plan

penguin3107 05-21-2009 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1388843)

Actually, that post is one of the most ignorant, short-sighted posts I've read as of late.

Trimix 05-22-2009 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dc/dc (Post 1388843)

Dont quite agree with the analogy. Yes, not getting a data plan for a BlackBerry device is not making full use the device's capability. Heck, it might even be a disservice. But is it damaging it in anyway? No, because as we've seen throughout this forum, everyone's needs are a bit different.

If people want a smartphone but don't want a data plan, what's wrong with getting a BlackBerry? It's a good device, intuitive when you learn it, and there's a relatively good support base for it. You also mentioned the issue of price -- why should being able to afford the device have anything to do with being able to afford a data plan? Those are two separate issues. For the same price as a BlackBerry (assuming with new line of service price), you can get a nice cell phone and PDA, for which the smartphone was designed to replace both. People might think it's worth it.

I think your analogy would have been better if you said getting a BB without a data plan is like buying a GT2 and ONLY using it to go grocery shopping on the weekends.

Dawg 05-22-2009 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1388918)
Actually, that post is one of the most ignorant, short-sighted posts I've read as of late.

Wow just because you dont agree with him you resort to calling his post ignorant. I disagree with your maybe yours is ignorant and short sided. I happen to agree with DC/DC. Besides per the topic at hand its not going to happen any way. And it looks like more carriers are going that route to.

penguin3107 05-22-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dawg (Post 1389101)
Wow just because you dont agree with him you resort to calling his post ignorant. I disagree with your maybe yours is ignorant and short sided.

Did you just try the "I know you are, but what am I" comeback?
Are you 4 years old?

And, read his post again. If you want to know where the insults start, they begin with dc/dc calling people "stupid' for not having a data plan and also makes a horrendous judgement by trying to equate income level with a person's desire to have a data plan.

The simple fact remains, which dc/dc will never understand... some people like the hardware, and simply don't need all the bells and whistles which come with a BB data plan.
Not everyone has the same needs. It doesn't make them stupid.

kjjb0204 05-22-2009 08:27 PM

Easy folks. Doesn't matter anyhow, Verizon and Sprint make the decision real simple. Want a BB? Gotta have a BB data plan. Take it or leave it.

Dawg 05-23-2009 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1389115)
Did you just try the "I know you are, but what am I" comeback?
Are you 4 years old?

And, read his post again. If you want to know where the insults start, they begin with dc/dc calling people "stupid' for not having a data plan and also makes a horrendous judgement by trying to equate income level with a person's desire to have a data plan.

The simple fact remains, which dc/dc will never understand... some people like the hardware, and simply don't need all the bells and whistles which come with a BB data plan.
Not everyone has the same needs. It doesn't make them stupid.

No actually I never said any such thing. I just said I couldnt belive you called his post ignorant because you disagree. And I agree with DC/DC I think its silly to have a device and not have a data plan.

SteveO86 05-23-2009 09:21 AM

We can go over the details of this till we are blue in the face..

Someone somewhere will find a "logical" reason for themselves to get a BB without a data plan, and when their carrier doesn't let them, I am sure we will see a post.

(Kinda reminds me of those old Bud Light Real Men of Genius commercials.. We salute you Mr. BlackBerry w/o a Data plan user guy, Sure you could surf the web or check your emails but what do you do? Make phone calls) Those were some funny commercials... and I could keep going lol.

--

People can do w/e they want and they will... as long as they don't attempt to change my life/judge me with their beliefs were good. :)