BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   iPhone Android & other HandHeld Forum (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Now that SJ is no longer with us....Flash? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=254443)

DallasFlier 11-07-2011 05:14 PM

Re: Now that SJ is no longer with us....Flash?

Quote:

Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry (Post 1752394)
Well it isn't on Windows Phone 7 and that's his current fascination.

I'm thinking he's looking at it as just an arithmetic thing. Windows Phone 7 has to be better than Apple iPhone 4S, right? :? Android seems to go through the revisions quicker, so when we get to Android 8 I predict he'll shift again - unless Windows Phone 8 comes out first. After all, he's already preparing - has proclaimed himself an expert on whether or not Flash runs on Android. ;-)

ArgonNJ 11-09-2011 04:00 AM

Well know it alls, it seems even Adobe sees the light on the wall and is stopping development of mobile Flash.

Adobe to stop new development on mobile Flash Player | Android Central

ifonline 11-09-2011 06:47 AM

Finally. Maybe this whole "Flash is awesome" junk can finally be put to bed.

TBOLTRAM 11-09-2011 08:34 AM

And now for a bit of reality. Yesterday I started the renewal process for my Texas PE and while I was going around the Texas Professional Engineers Board website I noticed that they now have videos of recent board meetings. Guess what format was used? Thats right, Adobe Flash.

ifonline 11-09-2011 10:40 AM

So the Texas PEB still uses Flash... what exactly does that mean for the rest of us and what does that have to do with Flash for mobile devices being discontinued?

ArgonNJ 11-09-2011 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754469)
And now for a bit of reality. Yesterday I started the renewal process for my Texas PE and while I was going around the Texas Professional Engineers Board website I noticed that they now have videos of recent board meetings. Guess what format was used? Thats right, Adobe Flash.

All that means is the webmaster is lazy and either doesn't know any better or simply doesn't care. Flash is on the way out. Whether of not websites continue to use it depends on how with it they are and how much they care about their viewers.

NJBlackBerry 11-09-2011 12:28 PM

Fantasy Land.

TBOLTRAM 11-09-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1754491)
All that means is the webmaster is lazy and either doesn't know any better or simply doesn't care. Flash is on the way out. Whether of not websites continue to use it depends on how with it they are and how much they care about their viewers.

This is a recent change. Likely the board did a survey and determined that Flash was the least worst option. I think they used to use Realplayer. The Texas Electricians Board still does.

ArgonNJ 11-09-2011 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754504)
This is a recent change. Likely the board did a survey and determined that Flash was the least worst option. I think they used to use Realplayer. The Texas Electricians Board still does.

The writing on the wall has been there for awhile. When Jobs said he wasn't supporting it on the wildly popular iphone and ipad, it was over for Flash. With more and more people accessing the web, ONLY on portable device now a days, Flash was doomed. Adobe just confirmed what many had already known was going to happen.

ifonline 11-09-2011 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754504)
I think they used to use Realplayer.

Ouch. I didn't realize that anyone still uses that junk.

TBOLTRAM 11-09-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1754507)
Ouch. I didn't realize that anyone still uses that junk.

Remember I am talking about reality. Reality is real world marginal users of techology, not the educated. What I find interesting is that the Apple video product is also not used as much as expected. I wonder what SJ thought about that.

ArgonNJ 11-10-2011 02:40 AM

I think this thread can officially be closed!

ifonline 11-10-2011 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754515)
Remember I am talking about reality. Reality is real world marginal users of techology, not the educated.

Reality based on the website of the Texas PEB? Really? Seems like such a limited scope to prove that "reality" still uses RealPlayer and Flash.

Quote:

What I find interesting is that the Apple video product is also not used as much as expected.
What Apple video product?

JSanders 11-10-2011 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1754569)
I think this thread can officially be closed!

...good enough reason to leave it open.

TBOLTRAM 11-10-2011 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifonline (Post 1754582)

What Apple video product?

QuickTime. How quickly they forget.

Another source of amusement is that Apple has bribed their management to stay with stock I think until 2016. If things were so wonderful why the bribes?

ArgonNJ 11-10-2011 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1754594)
...good enough reason to leave it open.

LOL 8-)

daphne 11-10-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754515)
[...]. What I find interesting is that the Apple video product is also not used as much as expected. I wonder what SJ thought about that.

A lot of people absolutely hate Quicktime. I've seen plenty of posts on the net by people saying they won't use iTunes as long as it requires you to download Quicktime also. I remember when QT used to always hijack your file associations, making itself the default for many file types.

TBOLTRAM 11-11-2011 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1754701)
A lot of people absolutely hate Quicktime. I've seen plenty of posts on the net by people saying they won't use iTunes as long as it requires you to download Quicktime also. I remember when QT used to always hijack your file associations, making itself the default for many file types.

True, in it's own way QT, the super duper Apple product is just as crappy as Flash. My point is that some of the more inert users of this forum seem to have blinders on.

ifonline 11-11-2011 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754644)
QuickTime. How quickly they forget.

Another source of amusement is that Apple has bribed their management to stay with stock I think until 2016. If things were so wonderful why the bribes?

So you couldn't just say "QuickTime?" Odd. Forget? No. There are other Apple apps that I would call "video products" long before I would think about QuickTime.

ifonline 11-11-2011 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBOLTRAM (Post 1754742)
True, in it's own way QT, the super duper Apple product is just as crappy as Flash. My point is that some of the more inert users of this forum seem to have blinders on.

Blinders? Where is this even coming from, and what does QuickTime have to do with hating Flash?