BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9800 Series Discussion - Torch (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   NEW: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9850/9860 (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=251894)

juwaack68 08-03-2011 06:20 AM

NEW: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9850/9860

Just announced today. Full screen device with BlackBerry 7 OS. Details here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch 9850 & Torch 9860 - BlackBerry 9850 - BlackBerry 9860 - US

darkmanCANADA 08-03-2011 11:36 AM

Re: NEW: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9850/9860

With the advent of these new phones will it be possible to buy an unbranded phone directly from RIM or will I have to get it directly from a carrier and go the unlock route?

b52junebug 08-03-2011 12:17 PM

okay im sold on the 9850/60.. I can only dream it will help in the WHOLE decision making process of iPhone in the enterprise..

b52junebug 08-03-2011 01:00 PM

are you freakin serious.. NOT Going to be available on VERIZON.. UGH

swervable 08-03-2011 02:52 PM

I am very excited about these phones. I would like for them to head on over to my progressive Carrier Credo Mobile. They use sprints network and some of their phones. So hopefully they will get one of these too.

DallasFlier 08-03-2011 03:19 PM

A "Torch" without a physical keyboard? Definitely disappointed in that!

swervable 08-03-2011 03:44 PM

Honestly it's about time to give up the keyboard. it no longer has the superior feeling. It has the dated and old feeling now. Now don't get me wrong i like the BB keyboard but it's time has come to an end.
If you have tried out the PlayBook yet you will know that the touch keyboard is a very good one. From what I see with OS7 is that it is nearly the QNX OS. And that OS is rock solid.

*spelling error*

jsconyers 08-03-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swervable (Post 1736213)
Honestly it's about time to give up the keyboard. it no longer has the superior feeling.

I disagree with this. While I moved away from BlackBerry (personal device, and still have a work BB) over a year ago to pick up the HTC EVO 4G (now have the EVO 3D), I am used to this virtual keyboard. However, my fiance recently got the Droid Pro and typing on that makes things so much easier and I would much rather type on her physical keyboard than my own. There is still a place for the physical keyboard in the mobile world.

fourstringfuror 08-03-2011 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DallasFlier (Post 1736207)
A "Torch" without a physical keyboard? Definitely disappointed in that!

Check out the 9810, in that case.

jimfraser 08-03-2011 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b52junebug (Post 1736189)

The 9850 is CDMA based (9860 gsm) so I don't know why Verizon would not have it. The two biggest CDMA cariers (Bell and Telus) in Canada became gsm capable well over a year ago. Why make a CDMA device if Verizon was not going to pick it up? No major carrier in the world is clinging to CDMA other than Verizon.

smoothadmin 08-03-2011 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1736245)
The 9850 is CDMA based (9860 gsm) so I don't know why Verizon would not have it. The two biggest CDMA cariers (Bell and Telus) in Canada became gsm capable well over a year ago. Why make a CDMA device if Verizon was not going to pick it up? No major carrier in the world is clinging to CDMA other than Verizon.

You are forgetting another BIG carrier in Canada my friend. Rogers Wireless. They are the GSM network which isn't very good in and around Toronto; my Virgin Mobile device (which uses the Bell network) out performs Rogers' wireless devices. :)

I have done download tests over the 3G network and each time I let the Rogers guy get a head start; both a full bars; I still manage to beat him hands down.

A.

PJD642 08-03-2011 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b52junebug (Post 1736189)

What are you basing this on? I'm hoping against hope for a 9850 for Verizon, since nobody will build me a CDMA 9810!

smoothadmin 08-04-2011 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juwaack68 (Post 1736096)
Just announced today. Full screen device with BlackBerry 7 OS. Details here:

BlackBerry - BlackBerry Torch 9850 & Torch 9860 - BlackBerry 9850 - BlackBerry 9860 - US

I am really looking forward to the 9860 device, the others don't do anything for me since I have had small screen blackberry's for many years now.

A.

DallasFlier 08-04-2011 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 1736217)
I disagree with this. While I moved away from BlackBerry (personal device, and still have a work BB) over a year ago to pick up the HTC EVO 4G (now have the EVO 3D), I am used to this virtual keyboard. However, my fiance recently got the Droid Pro and typing on that makes things so much easier and I would much rather type on her physical keyboard than my own. There is still a place for the physical keyboard in the mobile world.

Yes, I agree totally.
Quote:

Originally Posted by fourstringfuror (Post 1736221)
Check out the 9810, in that case.

That's all I'm left with, agreed. But the 9850/9860 screen /size/resolution are significantly better. Wish they'd do a slider keyboard version of that one, I think they'd have a real winner.

jimfraser 08-04-2011 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothadmin (Post 1736257)
You are forgetting another BIG carrier in Canada my friend. Rogers Wireless. They are the GSM network which isn't very good in and around Toronto; my Virgin Mobile device (which uses the Bell network) out performs Rogers' wireless devices. :)
A.

I was referring to CDMA carriers who unlike Verizon (so far) saw the future and overlayed their network with GSM a couple of years ago. Rogers is the biggest mobile network in Canada and saw the light many years ago and embraced GSM years ago.
Interestingly, Bell and Telus still pick up an occasional CDMA product, such as the Blackberry flip, so CDMA is not completely dead on their networks.

As far a network coverage goes, I agree with your observation regarding gsm/hspa penetration. I have been a Roger's mobile customer since it was called Cantel. I kept with them because of the visioniary leadership of Ted Rogers who embraced new technoligy as it evolved, saw the limitations of TDMA and went with gsm well before Bell and Telus. I am impressed, however, at how quickly and well Bell and Telus brought out their gsm/hspa networks.
I have no direct comparisons to make in Toronto, but in a comparison between Bell and Rogers a year ago in a hilly area about an hour and a half north of Toronto, I tested both the Bell turbostick and the Rogers rocketstick. The Bell turbostick was able in my test to grab on and hold a signal better than the Rogers' product. Also in the same area and in a wooded area on the shores of southern Lake Huron, my torch on the Rogers network often goes "sos" meaning that it has lost the Roger's signal and is latching on to the stronger Bell or Telus gsm signal.
I am also not impressed with, in my opinion, the greater promotion which Rogers makes for iPhone as compared to Blackberry. When the torch came out last September Bell stores had lots of promotional signs up for the torch and Rogers had nothing.
If I can last a couple of more years with Rogers when my contract runs out, I will look seriously at Bell and other gsm/hspa/lte cariers who have caught Rogers napping and built a better network.

Dubdub 08-04-2011 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkmanCANADA (Post 1736172)
With the advent of these new phones will it be possible to buy an unbranded phone directly from RIM or will I have to get it directly from a carrier and go the unlock route?

RIM doesn't sell devices, the carriers do.

smoothadmin 08-05-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimfraser (Post 1736349)
I was referring to CDMA carriers who unlike Verizon (so far) saw the future and overlayed their network with GSM a couple of years ago. Rogers is the biggest mobile network in Canada and saw the light many years ago and embraced GSM years ago.
Interestingly, Bell and Telus still pick up an occasional CDMA product, such as the Blackberry flip, so CDMA is not completely dead on their networks.

As far a network coverage goes, I agree with your observation regarding gsm/hspa penetration. I have been a Roger's mobile customer since it was called Cantel. I kept with them because of the visioniary leadership of Ted Rogers who embraced new technoligy as it evolved, saw the limitations of TDMA and went with gsm well before Bell and Telus. I am impressed, however, at how quickly and well Bell and Telus brought out their gsm/hspa networks.
I have no direct comparisons to make in Toronto, but in a comparison between Bell and Rogers a year ago in a hilly area about an hour and a half north of Toronto, I tested both the Bell turbostick and the Rogers rocketstick. The Bell turbostick was able in my test to grab on and hold a signal better than the Rogers' product. Also in the same area and in a wooded area on the shores of southern Lake Huron, my torch on the Rogers network often goes "sos" meaning that it has lost the Roger's signal and is latching on to the stronger Bell or Telus gsm signal.
I am also not impressed with, in my opinion, the greater promotion which Rogers makes for iPhone as compared to Blackberry. When the torch came out last September Bell stores had lots of promotional signs up for the torch and Rogers had nothing.
If I can last a couple of more years with Rogers when my contract runs out, I will look seriously at Bell and other gsm/hspa/lte cariers who have caught Rogers napping and built a better network.

i disagree with with you on Rogers having the largest network as there are many places to date where i can make phone calls on my VMobile phone that Rogers still cannot reach.

asteele 08-06-2011 10:06 PM

I can not wait for the 9860! This is just what I have been waiting for - a Blackberry in a device that is similar in size to an iPhone.

The keyboard on the Torch 9800 that I have now is just a little too small, and I can not type anywhere nearly as quickly on this as I could on a Bold 9000.

The on-screen keyboard in the Torch 9800 is too small as well, and since I am used to using an iPhone as well, the on screen Torch 9800 is quite frustratring - even in landscape mode too for some reason.

September is going to be an a great month, I see myself getting a new iPhone and a new Blackberry too! :)

Medic48 08-07-2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smoothadmin (Post 1736568)
i disagree with with you on Rogers having the largest network as there are many places to date where i can make phone calls on my VMobile phone that Rogers still cannot reach.

As I am sure there a places you can make calls via Rogers/Fido which you may not to on Bell/Telus.

Personally, I have great coverage with Rogers and never experienced any serious dead zones, both in the GTA, SWO area, Northern Ontario and Federal District.

However, I don't make any claims of network superiority simply because YMMV!

--Phil

GrandMstrBud 08-15-2011 11:13 AM

The 9850/9860 is very nice but the on screen keyboard is a bit small compared to other on screen keyboards like the iPhone and android devices. Also the battery life is not very good at all.