BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry In the News (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landi (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=255962)

Dubdub 12-02-2011 08:49 PM

Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landi

Two Research In Motion executives were so drunk on a recent Air Canada flight that the airline was forced to make an emergency landing to remove the men from the plane. The pair, George Campbell and Paul Alexander, were ordered to pay a total of $71,757 in restitution fees, The Record reported on Friday. The two men were apparently so drunk that the crew on the flight from Vancouver to Beijing needed to handcuff them to their seats before the plane was forced to make an unscheduled landing back in Vancouver. Read on for more.

“Based on the limited information available at this time, RIM has suspended the individuals involved pending further investigation,” RIM spokeswoman Marissa Conway said in a statement.

One of the arresting officers said the incident stands out because the plane had to divert so far off of its flight path. “They were far too intoxicated and were just being unruly. The flight crew was asking them to smarten up, but they weren’t listening to anything they were being told,” Corporal Sherrdean Turley said.

The two RIM employees have been banned from flying on Air Canada during a probation period. The flight they were on was forced to switch crews airline regulations, and it landed in Beijing 18 hours behind schedule.

tsac 12-02-2011 09:07 PM

Re: Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landi

One would wonder why the airlines dont limit the booze?:idea:

penguin3107 12-02-2011 09:35 PM

Re: Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landi

This looks very similar to something that Todd Haselton wrote on bgr.com earlier today.
Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landing

daphne 12-02-2011 09:40 PM

Would this be news if it were 2 Apple exces, or 2 Microsoft or Google execs? The media takes every opportunity to portray RIM in a bad light.

penguin3107 12-02-2011 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1757870)
Would this be news if it were 2 Apple exces, or 2 Microsoft or Google execs?

I think so. I doubt it would be bgr reporting on it if it were Apple-related. ;)

Quote:

The media takes every opportunity to portray RIM in a bad light.

RIM isn't exactly making that all too difficult to do.

Dubdub 12-02-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1757868)
This looks very similar to something that Todd Haselton wrote on bgr.com earlier today.
Drunk RIM execs handcuffed to seats, force Air Canada to make emergency landing

Might be. I got it from one my RSS feeds.

daphne 12-03-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguin3107 (Post 1757873)
I think so. I doubt it would be bgr reporting on it if it were Apple-related. ;)

RIM isn't exactly making that all too difficult to do.

This is true unfortunately.

ArgonNJ 12-03-2011 02:27 AM

Quote:

Would this be news if it were 2 Apple exces, or 2 Microsoft or Google execs? The media takes every opportunity to portray RIM in a bad light.

Are you kidding? It sure would be. You seem to have an over exaggerated opinion of RIM's importance.. RIM is a has been Canadian company on the way down the ladder. They really aren't that important anymore.

daphne 12-03-2011 03:23 PM

And you, Argon, seem to have an exaggerated view of your own opinions. Ever since you registered here, all you've done is bash RIM and the BlackBerry brand. You are nothing but a troll and are treading on thin ice at this point.

stormchaser2010 12-03-2011 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by daphne (Post 1757977)
And you, Argon, seem to have an exaggerated view of your own opinions. Ever since you registered here, all you've done is bash RIM and the BlackBerry brand. You are nothing but a troll and are treading on thin ice at this point.

Here is something you can give that poster in reguards to his post about trolling here that might help them understand what your saying a bit clearer:

dc/dc 12-03-2011 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stormchaser2010 (Post 1757980)
Here is something you can give that poster in reguards to his post about trolling here that might help them understand what your saying a bit clearer:

Great first post. :?

bostonnerd 12-04-2011 09:20 AM

While Argon seems to have a talent for annoying some folks here, the fact is, that associating RIM with this episode is unfortunately quite valid.
* These were two RIM executives on a business trip to China, not some University of Waterloo engineering interns (not that that would excuse the behavior ).

* RIM can be held liable for any damages caused by their employees while on company business. As this flight was probably filled with business men/women that were seriously impacted (both in time and cost) by the one day flight delay it does indeed reflect back to RIM.

* This incident is yet another data point on the complete lack of discipline at RIM and reinforces the perception (or reality) that this company cannot execute to save its life

RIM's Global 500 customer base invests a lot of money in RIM hardware and software. They want to be confident that this company will be around for the long term. Anecdotes like this do nothing to enhance that confidence.

Colonel Panic 12-04-2011 08:21 PM

Finally, RIM does something young, cool and fun. I'd promote those guys.

tsac 12-04-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1757885)
Are you kidding? It sure would be. You seem to have an over exaggerated opinion of RIM's importance.. RIM is a has been Canadian company on the way down the ladder. They really aren't that important anymore.

Why are you here?

stevetaz 12-05-2011 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Panic (Post 1758076)

If you truly believe what they did is "young, cool and fun" we as a society are in deep doggie doo doo......(n)

joeltang 12-05-2011 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colonel Panic (Post 1758076)

_ +1 _

dc/dc 12-06-2011 12:17 AM

And now they've been sacked.

stevew 12-13-2011 11:56 PM

Maybe they were the reason behind RIM's woes...LOL (We wish...)

@AragonNJ - RIM's still a major worldwide player, despite your best wishes, or have you forgotten how Microsoft bailed Apple from near death in the late 90's, only to become one of the most significant and by now, the richest technology company in recent years? You obviously have little clue of how the world works.

Do you actually have anything of value to add to this board or are you simply here to bash RIM? Here's a thought, congruent to your posts - why not put your money where your mouth is,dump your precious BB and go to another platform? Then you can troll the Droid or Apple sites...and we don't have to read your baseless sinking (RIM) ship posts!

ArgonNJ 12-14-2011 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevew (Post 1759248)
Maybe they were the reason behind RIM's woes...LOL (We wish...)

@AragonNJ - RIM's still a major worldwide player, despite your best wishes, or have you forgotten how Microsoft bailed Apple from near death in the late 90's, only to become one of the most significant and by now, the richest technology company in recent years? You obviously have little clue of how the world works.

Do you actually have anything of value to add to this board or are you simply here to bash RIM? Here's a thought, congruent to your posts - why not put your money where your mouth is,dump your precious BB and go to another platform? Then you can troll the Droid or Apple sites...and we don't have to read your baseless sinking (RIM) ship posts!

Yes, RIM is still a big player in the third worldwide, unfortunately for them, many of these countries hate free speech and have begun clamping down on RIM's closed, secure system. Many are demanding access or they will be shut down.

Don't put RIM in the same category as Apple. Unless RIM has someone as brilliant as Steve Jobs on tap, they don't have a prayer of following Apple's comeback. And as long as RIM keeps their 2 clueless CEOs in charge, I can guarantee that will NEVER happen.

And I haven't used a BB in over a year and have no plans to do so ever again. I've seen the future and RIM isn't part of it.

DallasFlier 12-14-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArgonNJ (Post 1759353)
And I haven't used a BB in over a year and have no plans to do so ever again. I've seen the future and RIM isn't part of it.

But yet you think its very important and a good use of your time to continue to read and post on a BB-specific site, simply to bash BB & RIM at every opportunity (and make up opportunities when you don't find enough!) You need a life, you really do. Pretty pathetic.