BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 8300 Series Discussion - Curve (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   8320: lacking a decent wifi range? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=102227)

bdraco 10-29-2007 12:43 PM

8320: lacking a decent wifi range?

Has anybody disassembled the 8320 yet? Any ideas why the wifi reception is only about 1/2 as good as a mac laptop?

jeremyckitching 10-29-2007 01:25 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I haven't disassembled one but my reception is great. I can use my WiFi outside of my home. What kind of router do you have?

Pinman 10-29-2007 01:30 PM

I know what you are talking about Jeremy...I can connect fine in my house because I have my router and AP's set for my phone... but for instance.... you go to a place that has open wifi's...on your laptop you could connect just fine with good to excellent signal...then on my BB8320 I tell it to search for wifi connections....and I get the open wifi's listed with no "green" bars....but listed none the less....try to connect and then I get errors in connection. So i click ok...then it says Success you connected to Wifi... but no connection was made.
This drives me nuts....even with wifi preffered you can not connect to all open wifi's. And even the ones that you phone finds...are about half the signal strength that my Toshiba Laptop would pick up.

jeremyckitching 10-29-2007 01:32 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8700g: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pinman
I know what you are talking about Jeremy...I can connect fine in my house because I have my router and AP's set for my phone... but for instance.... you go to a place that has open wifi's...on your laptop you could connect just fine with good to excellent signal...then on my BB8320 I tell it to search for wifi connections....and I get the open wifi's listed with no "green" bars....but listed none the less....try to connect and then I get errors in connection. So i click ok...then it says Success you connected to Wifi... but no connection was made.
This drives me nuts....even with wifi preffered you can not connect to all open wifi's. And even the ones that you phone finds...are about half the signal strength that my Toshiba Laptop would pick up.

Oh, I see. I actually haven't tried connecting to a different AP. (I have only had the 8320 for less than a week.) Not sure what is happening.

Pinman 10-29-2007 01:38 PM

I have my whole house set up on a a network using wireless AP's, those are working just fine...it is a lot of the "Open" Wi-fi's that the phone recognizes but then has problems even connecting to them...doesnt even give me the option of logging into the Hotspot, because you do this after you have logged in to the Open wifi location.