BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9000 Series Discussion - Bold (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=106)
-   -   Bold Tips - Final Version Posted (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=156142)

Stinsonddog 10-23-2008 07:30 AM

Bold Tips - Final Version Posted

I have done a very high level stab at first draft BOLD tips. I would like the community to check them and tell me either something to fix or something to add. Fix it or Add it.

I will be posting a separate page on Wifi that you can now get in the 83XX tips.

I know there are things flat out wrong at this point but it was very late. For example, home screen shortcuts R, Q and A are changed. I will get to many of these and in the meantime give me your input.

Find them at Stinsonddog's Blackberry Tips and Tricks (Blackberry Tips & Tricks from the Mods)

JSanders 10-23-2008 08:57 AM

eh, are you a "Community Leader" now?

ezrunner 10-23-2008 09:25 AM

Wirelessly posted (off to see the wizard)

The creator of stinsonsdogs tips must be a community leader. Or perhaps elder

AGABOOBIE just for good measure

and i will be glad to help soon as I get a 9000

BaRTiMuS 10-23-2008 09:39 AM

Looks great!

Couple of issues:

1. Holding "Q" to toggle between vibrate and normal profiles was left out.

2. "hold mute to lock keyboard" is kind of confusing. It locks the keyboard, but does not lock the phone itself. Holding "A" would put the phone into lock mode. This is important for people who's phones are password protected. Because pressing mute puts it into standby, which is not password protected.

scaevola 10-23-2008 12:12 PM

Wirelessly posted (8300)

Does that mean qsms no longer works for an app on the 9000? Totally bummed now!

Stinsonddog 10-23-2008 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1145516)
eh, are you a "Community Leader" now?

No just the same old Dog.

John Clark 10-23-2008 01:37 PM

He's just a community organizer. Really nothing of too much importance.

culture 10-23-2008 01:47 PM

Saved Messages V - from message list
- This works from anywhere, not just the message list

Add a signature - go to options (from the message list)>email settings, set the Use Auto Signature field to Yes, type a signature, press the Menu key, click Save. Your signature is added to email messages after you send them. Often people will use ZZ or ZX as an autotext to create different signatures and will set the device to no signature and then use the shortcut. You can edit your autotexts from the device options menu.

Set an out-of-office reply, in the message go to options (from the message list)>email settings, set the Use Out Of Office Reply field to Yes.

- I dont seem to have either of these options.

Stinsonddog 10-23-2008 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by culture (Post 1145871)

Add a signature - go to options (from the message list)>email settings, set the Use Auto Signature field to Yes, type a signature, press the Menu key, click Save. Your signature is added to email messages after you send them. Often people will use ZZ or ZX as an autotext to create different signatures and will set the device to no signature and then use the shortcut. You can edit your autotexts from the device options menu.

Set an out-of-office reply, in the message go to options (from the message list)>email settings, set the Use Out Of Office Reply field to Yes.

Found the V one tonight. The other two probably come from the corporate account - BES not personal BIS.

Stinsonddog 10-23-2008 10:52 PM

I made major changes tonight to the tips doc. Probably 40 or so edits. My final step which will take a bit of time will be to review the manual for new items.

bernmc 10-30-2008 01:27 PM

The site you link to for the video downloader contains script for a phishing attack.

Beware.

Stinsonddog 10-30-2008 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bernmc (Post 1153007)
The site you link to for the video downloader contains script for a phishing attack.

Beware.

If you mean the YT converter, I deleted the link. Thanks.

Stinsonddog 11-01-2008 08:55 AM

Final Version is now posted except for an errata the community provides. Note that quite a few changes were made from V2 and the ATT voicemail tree was updated.

Stinsonddog 11-03-2008 08:34 AM

One small erratta on browswer shortcuts - new version posted today.

Stinsonddog 11-04-2008 11:41 AM

Realized that wireless coverage indicators got deleted in prior version. Added now.

kjaslow 11-04-2008 10:59 PM

Sorry - this is sure to be a never-ending work in progress...

I don't have idea matrix or any of that stuff installed. For me, with home-screen dial disabled, the following home screen shortcuts apply:

x - Windows Live Messenger
e - Enterprise Messenger (aka Microsoft Communicator)
i - no function

Also, to get my contacts list I have to first click the call button once to bring up the call log, and then hold the call button a second time. If I just click and hold once, I do not get the contacts list.

In the browser, 'x' zooms out fully...

Thanks for doing this. Didn't know about Q switching to vibrate. Very handy!

akc786 11-05-2008 07:53 AM

Nice info Stinsondogg.

JvKintheUSA 11-08-2008 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaRTiMuS (Post 1145567)
Looks great!

Couple of issues:

2. "hold mute to lock keyboard" is kind of confusing. It locks the keyboard, but does not lock the phone itself. Holding "A" would put the phone into lock mode. This is important for people who's phones are password protected. Because pressing mute puts it into standby, which is not password protected.

I was not aware of the holding the "Q" to toggle between vibrate and other profile. Very nice!! I always wondered how to do that on the Bold. Thanks!!

celeste 11-09-2008 06:13 PM

How do I view a pdf with the bold? I can't read the tips. (Wasn't a prob with the pearl.)

Stinsonddog 11-10-2008 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kjaslow (Post 1158650)
Sorry - this is sure to be a never-ending work in progress...

I don't have idea matrix or any of that stuff installed. For me, with home-screen dial disabled, the following home screen shortcuts apply:

x - Windows Live Messenger
e - Enterprise Messenger (aka Microsoft Communicator)
i - no function

Also, to get my contacts list I have to first click the call button once to bring up the call log, and then hold the call button a second time. If I just click and hold once, I do not get the contacts list.

In the browser, 'x' zooms out fully...

Thanks for doing this. Didn't know about Q switching to vibrate. Very handy!

Home screen shortcuts can vary by program installed. You are right about the change to the phone listing. I will add the browser shortcut.

Stinsonddog 11-10-2008 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by celeste (Post 1163824)
How do I view a pdf with the bold? I can't read the tips. (Wasn't a prob with the pearl.)

Probably need to see it on a PC. It has security on it.

Yummy 11-15-2008 06:17 PM

Thanx a lot! :)

jorowi 11-25-2008 02:14 PM

You are teh awesome!

Jelly Bean 12-05-2008 12:11 AM

dang stinson...trying to get your link to open for your "bold" tips, and wont...bought my bold tonight and came a lookin for ya, I remember you guys you and saunders and some others helping me with the curve when it was new, glad to see you all still here.

John Clark 12-05-2008 12:12 AM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

www.stinsonddog.com

Jelly Bean 12-05-2008 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1197023)

*smiles* thank you, I'll go there now!

Jelly Bean 12-05-2008 07:53 AM

well I can get to the site, but my bold says I cant open stinsons bold tips...is there a way to support pdf on the berry?

ecustomer 12-06-2008 04:38 PM

"PDF To Go" from DataViz. It is bundled with "Documents To Go" Premium Edition. Unfortunately, I cannot post URLs yet.

Jelly Bean 12-06-2008 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecustomer (Post 1199050)
"PDF To Go" from DataViz. It is bundled with "Documents To Go" Premium Edition. Unfortunately, I cannot post URLs yet.

thank u

sjmanning 12-08-2008 04:02 PM

No Auto Sig. Option In Bold.

On my BOLD ...

MESSAGE LIST > OPTIONS > EMAIL SETTINGS ... there is not USE AUTO SIGNATURE field.

Enable HTML Email
Download images automatically
Confirm delivery
Confirm read
Send read receipts.

That is all.

Suggestions?

Thanks much.
Quote:

Originally Posted by culture (Post 1145871)

grammy 12-08-2008 06:31 PM

very helpful. thanks stinsonddog.

koleary19067 12-08-2008 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjmanning (Post 1201409)
On my BOLD ...

MESSAGE LIST > OPTIONS > EMAIL SETTINGS ... there is not USE AUTO SIGNATURE field.

Enable HTML Email
Download images automatically
Confirm delivery
Confirm read
Send read receipts.

That is all.

Suggestions?

Thanks much.

This appears only if you are on a BES

sjmanning 12-08-2008 10:14 PM

IT POLICIES & Locked Firewall

Thanks.

Perhaps you can also help us with removing IT policies and Locked Firewall in AT&T BOLD. We have some 6 hours of tech time invested already with no success.

aggy 12-10-2008 07:27 AM

thanks , i will check the site first :)

Stinsonddog 12-11-2008 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelly Bean (Post 1197243)
well I can get to the site, but my bold says I cant open stinsons bold tips...is there a way to support pdf on the berry?

My tips can be printed but not extracted so for some reason some of the native readers on the BB won't show them. You may have to look on a PC.

Jelly Bean 12-22-2008 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog (Post 1204827)
My tips can be printed but not extracted so for some reason some of the native readers on the BB won't show them. You may have to look on a PC.

applications server not found in ICA files... is the error message I get when I try to open up your downloaded link on my PC...what am I doing wrong stinson? id really love to read your tips!

Damaged7 12-24-2008 07:23 PM

It says "Watch the video below, then read the page for tips"

Front Fell Off had nothing to do with the Blackberry.....but it was funny as hell.

Windowman 12-28-2008 09:48 PM

I ran across this, anyone care to give it a try and report back if it works?
I don't have a bold yet or I would try it out.

wwwDOTgetjarDOTcom/products/16972/MobilePdf

boeyguankheng 12-31-2008 12:44 AM

how to I use my BB as a modem?

coolspot 01-02-2009 04:32 PM

The shortcuts on Page 10, Good to Know Messaging Tips... don't seem to work on my bold?

i.e.

alt-i
alt-o
alt-p
alt-s

these don't work in my mailbox listing screen. Only alt-v works?!

UPDATE: Turns out Rogers doesn't included these searches... so I had to redefine them on my phone.

yudhaleopold 01-02-2009 07:54 PM

Hai,I am a newbie

What a great site to enhance my Bold9000.
Thank you!!

Caspan 01-08-2009 11:42 AM

Hey just found a weird shortcut.. if you have ever wanted to type with accents you can do it easily with your trackball. for instance if you want to type an C with that silly French accent under it just hold the key down and scroll the ball to the left or right can it will cycle through letters for C it works the same for all letters that are like this. Go try it on all the letters and see all the wacky letters you can get.

vdouros 01-16-2009 04:13 AM

Great "how to" manual, very helpful. Thanks Stinsonddog.

@Caspan
Great find, The Greek language also uses accents so the was VERY helpful for me!!! Thanks a lot

5009 02-09-2009 08:13 AM

there is a small blue dot in my screen when all the screen turn dark what happen with my bb?

MidnightDraven 02-09-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5009 (Post 1277334)
there is a small blue dot in my screen when all the screen turn dark what happen with my bb?

firstly, not the place to post, create your own thread
secondly, i dont know, maybe a dead pixel...

Damaged7 02-10-2009 03:38 AM

Not sure if anyone else mentioned this, but i looked through your guide and found maybe a little addition you could make.

For those who have the Bold in a holster and don't have access to the keyboard, if you press and hold down the volume down key, it will restart or go to the previous track. If you press and hold down the volume up key, it will go to the next song.

Pretty much like the N and P key functions, but you can do this without having to take the BOLD out of the holster.

5009 02-11-2009 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnightdraven (Post 1277342)
firstly, not the place to post, create your own thread
secondly, i dont know, maybe a dead pixel...

sorry i just joint the community so i dont know if i have to make my own thread... thanks

alinton 02-20-2009 03:35 AM

I can't open the pfd. Adobe says the document contains errors.

A.

enduser 02-22-2009 02:55 PM

(y) thanks for the great effort. when i got mine, i had to call att to ask about - what's this icon, what's that indicator and so on cuz it wasn't listed in the manual. the gal was very sweet and all but we were basically learning together.

:idea: your bbb tips is what every bold should come with!

ecruz0102 02-23-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolspot (Post 1231781)
The shortcuts on Page 10, Good to Know Messaging Tips... don't seem to work on my bold?

i.e.

alt-i
alt-o
alt-p
alt-s

these don't work in my mailbox listing screen. Only alt-v works?!

UPDATE: Turns out Rogers doesn't included these searches... so I had to redefine them on my phone.

thank you

darkdragoon 03-03-2009 09:32 PM

Great site!!! Kudos to the OP...

ksundar 04-05-2009 11:39 AM

Useful Tips,

Thanks bro!

ccfox 04-15-2009 11:13 AM

what a pity , i could not access the website.
could anybody send me the tips ?
Pls send it to fox#jxust.com . thanks.

FOx

jeffy 05-15-2009 08:41 PM

The bold tips link off of Stinsons website does not work. Tried firefox and IE.
I'm surprised this is left as a sticky since it doesn't work.

Stinsonddog 05-17-2009 09:21 AM

Not sure what you are doing. I just tried them and they work fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffy (Post 1384345)
The bold tips link off of Stinsons website does not work. Tried firefox and IE.
I'm surprised this is left as a sticky since it doesn't work.

jeffy 05-18-2009 08:20 PM

Strange. Here is the error message I receive.

Firefox can't find the server at 3083183250394357879-a-1802744773732722657-s-sites.googlegroups.com.

Anyway I've used your tips in the past. Thanks for doing them.

jeffy 06-23-2009 11:13 PM

For those of you that can't open Stinson's tips, I think I figured out the issue. You need a google account in order to access....

Edlin719 07-03-2009 02:31 PM

Signatures for email

I tried adding a signature but that option is not available on my phone. I went to mail options, email settings but there is no "Use Signature" line. There is only "Enable HTML Email", "Confirm Delivery", "Confirm Read" and "Send Read Receipts". Is it due to my OS. I have .167.

Thanks for all your help!!

MidnightDraven 07-03-2009 04:09 PM

no, you are looking in the wrong place.

NeedaLoan 07-08-2009 08:58 PM

I thank you for the tips, especially the Replicator one. I have a Bold with an SDMicro 8G card and my operating system is Vista Home Premium. I can not find the card on the Laptop anywhere so I can tell that program to copy from it. Do you know how to find it? Thank you in advance.

Stinsonddog 08-01-2009 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NeedaLoan (Post 1423889)
I thank you for the tips, especially the Replicator one. I have a Bold with an SDMicro 8G card and my operating system is Vista Home Premium. I can not find the card on the Laptop anywhere so I can tell that program to copy from it. Do you know how to find it? Thank you in advance.

If you never solved this please email me but you need the Bold set to operate as a Mass Storage device either all the time, or via ask each time and then say yes.

H.A.I.B.B. 08-27-2009 02:28 PM

I like the letter A to lock, but the mute key to lock works on curve, not every bb..
Thanx BaRTiMuS for this tip..:)

thej 01-03-2010 01:40 AM

nice work man !.. gr8

Ritsuke 01-04-2010 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaRTiMuS (Post 1145567)
Looks great!

Couple of issues:

Don't forget this can differ according to your region, azerty vs qwerty users.

1. Toggle between vibrate and normal profiles
Hold "A" on azerty phones
Hold "Q" on qwerty phones

2. Lock the keyboard
Hold "Q" on azerty phones
Hold "A" on qwerty phones

Some people may not get it therefore the clarification.

darcypa 12-14-2010 05:17 PM

Re: Bold Tips - Final Version Posted

These Tips helped me out - Thx

Harrison Leggio 12-31-2010 01:53 PM

These were pretty interesting. Thanks.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

taofik 02-07-2011 10:40 AM

hello,

can somebody PLEASE help out here i am New to the forum and i am thinking of getting a white blackberry torch.Do u think its a GOOD idea.

steakman 08-06-2011 01:19 AM

Quote:

Hey just found a weird shortcut.. if you have ever wanted to type with accents you can do it easily with your trackball. for instance if you want to type an C with that silly French accent under it just hold the key down and scroll the ball to the left or right can it will cycle through letters for C it works the same for all letters that are like this. Go try it on all the letters and see all the wacky letters you can get.
..been trying to figure that out for 2 yrs.! nice. but note that it works mostly with the vowels...not all the letters..at least on my 9000.

I too have issues with trying to open the tip links as well. and i signed into google...still no joy. but what I have learned here is more than I knew 2 hours ago. So not a lost cause at all.!

thank you Stinson.!

Medic48 08-11-2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steakman (Post 1736587)
..been trying to figure that out for 2 yrs.! nice. but note that it works mostly with the vowels...not all the letters..at least on my 9000.

I too have issues with trying to open the tip links as well. and i signed into google...still no joy. but what I have learned here is more than I knew 2 hours ago. So not a lost cause at all.!

thank you Stinson.!

This will also give you certain special characters as well:

A: ÀÁÂÄÃÅÆæåãäâáà
B: ¡
C: Ç©ç
D: Ðð
E: ÉÈÊËëêèé
F: (No Special Characters)
G: (No Special Characters)
H: (No Special Characters)
I: íìîÏïîíì
J: (No Special Characters)
K: “«»”
L: (No Special Characters)
M: …
N: Ññ
O: ÓÒÔÖÕØŒœøõöôòó
P: ¶
Q: (No Special Characters)
R: ®
S: §ß
T: Þ™þ
U: ÚÙÜÛûüúù
V: ¿
W: (No Special Characters)
X: (No Special Characters)
Y: ÝŸÿý
Z: (No Special Characters)

--Phil

tcora 02-22-2012 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caspan (Post 1238924)

Yes. That's been in BB since my first 857 back in 2002 (via the trackwheel back then). Never saw it documented anywhere, I learned of it via word of mouth...

historycap 08-31-2017 07:08 AM

thanks, all of the above mentioned helped fix the problem