BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   9630 v5.0.0.591 installed - problems (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=223343)

rwheelz 04-01-2010 10:55 AM

9630 v5.0.0.591 installed - problems

The software downloaded and intalled ok, but I was pretty annoyed to see that the update wipes out all of the old settings (puts all icons back to default, have to reinstall apps, etc).

I have several problems now-

1. My "lock" icon is nowhere to be found and I can't seem to bring it back, was it just removed in this new software? I realize I can use the button on the top left of the device.

2. The phone icon is also gone- the only way to bring up the phone is to leave the option "dial from home screen" checked under phone options and then hit a number, followed by "back", otherwise, I can't even make a call!

3. Some of my apps don'twork, and also will not let me get the upgrades (specifically, urbanspoon, drivesafely, Shazam, and one touch flashlight which works but will not let me upgrade).

Does anyone have info or suggestions? I really wouldlike my phone icon at the very least. How do you make a call or even access that menu if you don't use the "dial from home screen" option?

John Clark 04-01-2010 11:04 AM

First, the loader process should make an automatic backup of everything before it wipes the device and reloads the OS. It also saves and backs up 3rd party apps unless you uncheck the box to do so. Look in your My Documents for a file named Loaderbackup-(insert date here).ipd. That file can be restored to your device and all your data is contained in it. If you umchecked the box to make a backup then, yes, your data will be gone.

1. It's been posted all over all the boards that the Lock features have been changed. The Lock icon now only shows if you have a password set for the device. You can push and hold the A key or press the lock button on the top of the device to lock the keypad.

2. To bring up the phone app simply hit the green phone button. However, are you sure you didn't hide the phone button? It's labeled as "Call Log".

3. Some apps may not work after the upgrade from 4.7 to 5.0, though most do. Go to the specific sites for those apps and get the latest versions.

rwheelz 04-01-2010 11:22 AM

THANKS man! I appreciate the help. I guess I should have done more searching before posting. I am new to the BB forums but for anyone else who is new, there are several blackberry forums with great info, none quite as good as blackberryforums.com!!!

Had I known that pressing the green key brought up the phone menu, I could have done away with that icon long ago. I will double check my apps, apparently SHaza justdoesn't work on 5.0 yet.

Thanks again!

John Clark 04-01-2010 11:25 AM

You're welcome.

**Thanks for the shout out to the competition....:?

rwheelz 04-01-2010 12:38 PM

DOH! :oops: Edited the above comment to give credit where it is due. Realistically, I expect days to a week before someone responds with helpful comments (it took minutes here).

k2boarder1789 04-02-2010 10:12 AM

i have 1 minor problems with this update that i'm hoping someone can help with...

-In text messages, some people's "callback number" will display at the bottom of the thread, and in some it won't. It happens for some people, but not everyone. I would rather it not be there.... how do I get rid of it?

kjjb0204 04-02-2010 12:33 PM

OP - you can also hit P from your home screen to open the phone app. Or buy QuickLaunch for $5 and add Phone app to menu. Or press and hold menu key from any screen to launch app switcher and scroll to the phone app (always running). Yes, just hitting the green phone button would be the easy way, but how much fun is that?

I should add that there are many shortcuts from the home screen, so many that I've hidden a bunch of icons - messages, phone, calendar, calculator, browser, lock, address book, search. All have one key shortcuts. If you're not familiar with these, try a few out and have fun.

shoppergirl 04-02-2010 12:52 PM

Has anyone else noticed their Password Keeper/Safe icon is gone? I have looked in all the folders because when I updated to OS 5 it made my phone just like it was when I first bought it. So I had to go back through folders and find icons to pull to Home screen. However, my Password Safe icon is no where to be found. And although I do not have "do not keep a backup" checked, it apparently did not keep a backup of my stuff. I have looked high and low and no backup to be found. So not only did it wipe out my Password Safe, it erased all my data...i.e., my calendar, notes, everything. And while it was updating to OS 5, it showed it was backing everything up.

Any ideas on how to get Password Keeper back on or did the OS 5 just not load properly?

I think I want 4.7 back!

kalenalyn 04-03-2010 11:35 AM

Has anyone had issues locating their old MMS messages after the update? They seemed to have disappeared - though my regular text messages are still available (in the new bubble format).

John Clark 04-03-2010 11:38 AM

Check the dedicated SMS/MMS folder. If they're in there then you can go to the message list options >Inbox Settings and have those displayed in your Messages list.

kalenalyn 04-03-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1589325)
Check the dedicated SMS/MMS folder. If they're in there then you can go to the message list options >Inbox Settings and have those displayed in your Messages list.

Still not there. I think they are gone. :-(

IRoyle1 04-03-2010 01:16 PM

yea all my media text (pics ect...) have been deleted.

MY PROBLEM WITH THE UPDATE

I frequent video sites (break.com and others). I went to these sites before the update, i could click the vid and the option to save would appear. i could click for it to save, it would start the download, and i could still surf during the download. I could even download multiple vids at once on a [non hosted] page.
Now when i click vids it just pulls up the media player and shows it loading the vid. i have no save option. if i want to watch the vid i have to wait for the entire download with a blank screen only showing the words loading acrosed it.

Also... when i loaded the update i have a new text program. i love it and it works good except i keep getting complaints that im sending multiple text messages.

daphne 04-04-2010 09:29 PM

I just tried break.com and was able to save the video to the media card with no problems. Try a battery pull, clear your browser cache, etc.

kurichan 04-06-2010 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwheelz (Post 1588531)
The software downloaded and intalled ok, but I was pretty annoyed to see that the update wipes out all of the old settings (puts all icons back to default, have to reinstall apps, etc).

Not for me.

Quote:

2. The phone icon is also gone- the only way to bring up the phone is to leave the option "dial from home screen" checked under phone options and then hit a number, followed by "back", otherwise, I can't even make a call!
Not true.

See the green button to the left of the roller ball...? Try pressing that...

Try holding it instead of just pressing it...

Nifty!

kurichan 04-06-2010 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoppergirl (Post 1588941)
Has anyone else noticed their Password Keeper/Safe icon is gone?

Mine is still there.

Have you tried Show All to see if it might be hidden?

kittkat 04-06-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2boarder1789 (Post 1588880)
i have 1 minor problems with this update that i'm hoping someone can help with...

-In text messages, some people's "callback number" will display at the bottom of the thread, and in some it won't. It happens for some people, but not everyone. I would rather it not be there.... how do I get rid of it?

If anyone knows this...I'd also like to find out how to take that off. Also, I keep thinking the new SMS is BBM since it looks the same and I send people texts like they were BBMs. Uggggghhh.

DEW415 04-09-2010 12:58 PM

To find the Phone Icon, Do a Show All and find it hidden under the Applications folder. You can unhide it from there and move it to the Home Screen.

John Clark 04-09-2010 03:22 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Or better yet, just press the green phone button.