BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Themes (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   Scribble theme destroying battery life. (8320 Curve) Anyone else? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=117536)

aaronmjr 02-13-2008 10:09 AM

Scribble theme destroying battery life. (8320 Curve) Anyone else?

I downloaded the "scribble" theme through mobile.blackberry.com yesterday, and I love it. One problem... My battery is being absolutely blown away since I installed it. I thought I was imagining things but I pulled my 8320 off the charger last night at about 6:15pm. I made two phone calls, each about 30 seconds long. I then set it on my desk to go to sleep about 11pm, and wouldn't you know my alarm did not go off at 6:00am because my Blackberry was dead as a doornail. I am charging it as we speak and as soon as it's full im going to pull it off and time it with the theme still enabled, and then again without it enabled. I will keep you posted.

Anyone else running into this? Or maybe someone else with a Curve can download it and see if they encounter the same thing. Thanks.

Sith_Apprentice 02-13-2008 10:11 AM

what apps do you have running in the background? once you charge it they should be cleared out from running, but see if your battery does the same thing again. I have the scribble theme on my 8300 thats about a year old, and i see no difference in battery life

aaronmjr 02-13-2008 12:07 PM

hmmm okay. Well I guess that is good news for the theme, bad news for my device :smile: I'm not sure exactly what I had running at the time, but typically I comb through my applications a couple times a day and only leave:

Gmail, Messages, Home screen, Call log, Browser, BB Messenger (which can't be quit AFAIK), AIM, MSN Messenger, and Google Talk running.

I deleted a couple newer games I had installed recently just now. Other than that I am running the Zelda Beta 3 game from mobilerated.com and thats about it.

Sith_Apprentice 02-13-2008 12:35 PM

make sure zelda isnt running in the background, it will chew up your battery and spit it out

bbkat 02-13-2008 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 833763)
what apps do you have running in the background? once you charge it they should be cleared out from running, but see if your battery does the same thing again. I have the scribble theme on my 8300 thats about a year old, and i see no difference in battery life

I have the Curve 8300. Is there a quick way to see a list of all apps running in the background... Something like Task Manager on the PC?

jsconyers 02-13-2008 12:42 PM

press the alt key and the escape key simultaneously.

bbkat 02-13-2008 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsconyers (Post 833997)
press the alt key and the escape key simultaneously.

Not working very well. a box will pop up but just for a second and then it's gone. Dummie question but I assume the Esc key is the return button right of the trackball?

jsconyers 02-13-2008 12:55 PM

Sorry for the vague answer. Hold the alt key and then tap the escape key (the key to the right of the trackwheel), each time you press it, it will highlight another application that is currently running in the background. You could also use the trackball to navigate through the applications while holding the alt key.

bbkat 02-13-2008 12:59 PM

Okay thanks. Not exactly what I was hoping it would do but thanks.

jsconyers 02-13-2008 01:04 PM

It is basically the equivalent of alt + tab on a windows PC. It allows you to alternate between open applications.

As far as a task manager type feature, I am not aware of any.

aaronmjr 02-13-2008 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sith_Apprentice (Post 833988)
make sure zelda isnt running in the background, it will chew up your battery and spit it out

I'm hoping that was my problem. I have had My Curve unplugged for over an hour and it's still reading a full charge. I will post again before I leave for the day with my findings.

I appreciate all the replies!

Sith_Apprentice 02-13-2008 01:33 PM

not a problem. seems to be working a bit better for you though. i dont know if you use the media player or not but leaving that open (with the "now playing") in the menus will have a similar result

aaronmjr 02-13-2008 05:45 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that Zelda was my problem as I am still at full battery bars. Sorry for the false alarm everyone.

I appreciate the information and quick responses! (y)

Dawg 02-13-2008 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbkat (Post 834018)
Okay thanks. Not exactly what I was hoping it would do but thanks.

hit menu and switch application that will show you everything running

kentpowley 02-23-2008 09:44 AM

At first I thought Scribble was pretty cool.

Problem with it is that it is next to impossible to see what messages you have not yet read !
They all look the same, except for the (minor) differences in the icon.

You would think that they could at LEAST make the unread icons BOLD or something.

I deleted this theme, as it was simply too frustrating to look at my messaged and try to find out which ones were unread.