BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Password Keeper Restore? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=249933)

FoSheazy 06-09-2011 07:01 AM

Password Keeper Restore?

Interesting situation here...we have moved all of our Blackberry's to a new BES server. According to Blackberry tech support we couldn't use their conversion tool because it was hit or miss if it worked so we deleted all the users off the old BES, wiped the devices and then reactivated them to the new BES server.

Unfortunately we wiped a device that was using the Password Keeper feature and they really need that back. I know that the old BES user account had wireless backup enabled and since that's gone the password keeper database probably died with it. We do have a regular backup of the Blackberry from a standard backup option. Looking at the backup in manager it shows the Password Keeper database greyed out and reading under the box it says that those are read-only databases and is only backed up through wireless backup.

My question...could the Password Keeper database still be part of that backup file regardless and I could I possibly be able to get it back or is it gone with the deletion of the user account on the old BES? Any other info would be helpful too.

Thanks!

penguin3107 06-09-2011 07:05 AM

Re: Password Keeper Restore?

Wipe the handheld again.
Restore the Password Keeper database (and only that database) from the manual backup you did.
Re-activate on new BES.

FoSheazy 06-09-2011 07:13 AM

Eek, this person is already not too happy about this situation which is why I'm doing this delicately...could I possibly restore just that database to the Blackberry in its current state? Also going through the Advanced section even though its greyed out I should just move it over to the restore area, commence and it will restore? Reading the comment below those boxes says the read-only data can't be restored except through the wireless sync...I'm hoping that isn't totally true.

penguin3107 06-09-2011 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoSheazy (Post 1726297)
Eek, this person is already not too happy about this situation which is why I'm doing this delicately

Rightfully so. No user likes to lose data, especially when it's not their fault.

Quote:

could I possibly restore just that database to the Blackberry in its current state?

No, the BES activation is what's preventing you from restoring that database. Wireless Backup is enabled and won't let you manually overwrite the handheld data. You need to break the BES connection to enable that database to be overwritten.

Quote:

Reading the comment below those boxes says the read-only data can't be restored except through the wireless sync...I'm hoping that isn't totally true.

It is true. See above.

Wiping the handheld and reactivating it on BES is not a big deal.
The user's current settings are are backed up on BES already. When you wipe and then reactivate, those settings will be repopulated. This is a very common thing.

FoSheazy 06-09-2011 07:41 AM

Could I possibly turn off the wireless sync on the BES server for that user and then restore just that database and then turn the wireless sync back on?

Thanks again for the info!

FoSheazy 06-13-2011 12:05 PM

Anyone that is curious, you can just turn off the Wireless Sync on the BES server, pull the database you want from the backed up file, then turn the BES Wireless Sync back on. No need to wipe it, then apply database, then reactivate.

Thanks.

jsconyers 06-13-2011 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoSheazy (Post 1727067)
Anyone that is curious, you can just turn off the Wireless Sync on the BES server, pull the database you want from the backed up file, then turn the BES Wireless Sync back on. No need to wipe it, then apply database, then reactivate.

Thanks.

You could also just delete the Desktop [SYNC] service book, then restore the database via DM, then undelete or resend the service books.