BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Themes (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=146)
-   -   8703e to 8703e backup restore, theme doesn't restore too??? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=58308)

forevergreen 12-18-2006 06:03 AM

8703e to 8703e backup restore, theme doesn't restore too???

My 8703 has been freezing up, Verizon sent me another one. I'm doing a backup restore to the new phone so I can send the bad unit back. Everything goes over fine except for the theme. Is this standard? I thought the theme would update as well, no?

I bought this phone two months ago. I vaguely remembered how bad the vzw theme was, but now that I've been using zen for 2 months, I'm sorta shocked about that theme. You can barely read the font and it's almost as if someone tried to make the clunkiest theme they could.

jgb@etree 12-18-2006 07:22 AM

I'm expecting my replacement 8703 today.. I've been losing data svc overnight every single night - only way to restore it is to pull the battery. Pretty easy fix, but I have a bad pixel on my screen (been there since new) so I figured it's time...

I'll make sure I have an OTA d/l link for Vodafone Today. The VZW theme nauseates me just thinking about it.

Stinsonddog 12-18-2006 08:47 AM

Yes themes are .cod files that are considered part of the OS and are not in the backup databases. Plug your BB into DM and go to the advanced tab on the Backup and you can see the databases. Pictures for example are in Content Store.

jgb@etree 12-18-2006 05:20 PM

Jeesh. My (refurb) replacement device arrived today...

But...

They didn't even bother to do a 'wipe handheld' to it, let alone reload the OS... It still had all sorts of data from the prior user on it including emails, contacts and calendar entries! Is Verizon serious?

I called them up and complained, so they're sending out another device for delivery tomorrow. I just can't believe that a handheld can make it thru the refurb process without a reload of the OS!!!

Stinsonddog 12-18-2006 06:16 PM

That's amazing. Call the old owner and let him know.

cmwelles 12-18-2006 08:04 PM

I just got my 8703e and I'm looking for the Zen theme for it. Can you tell me where to get it?

Dodge DeBoulet 12-18-2006 10:51 PM

While it's nonetheless amazing to me that Verizon would let a phone go out with another customer's data on it, I don't take anything for granted. When I had to swap out my 8703e due to a battery life issue, I wiped it myself, right in the store, before turning it over to them.

Interestingly, no one at the Verizon store knew how to do it (I didn't either, but at least I figured it out after a couple of minutes).

jgb@etree 12-19-2006 10:39 AM

Hopefully, my 2nd replacement device shows up today.

I just upgraded my DM to 4.2 in hopes that the 'Switch Device Wizard' will make the migration of data/apps/settings from old 8703e > new 8703e seamless. Anyone tried it yet?

cmwelles 12-20-2006 02:20 PM

I now have Zen theme for my 8703e, It's a very nice theme.