BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   Why won't my OS update? I deleted the Vendor.xml file! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=159789)

John Clark 11-15-2008 05:37 PM

Why won't my OS update? I deleted the Vendor.xml file!

So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.

1. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
2. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
3. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you run Loader.exe found in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader your update doesn't show. And when you open Application Loader in Desktop Manager your new OS is not listed and it doesn't prompt you to update!!

Important! Before continuing, please be aware that in order to upgrade to later versions of OS 5.0 you will need a BB data plan on your device.

The problem is two-fold and the first problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.

Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background. I use this for all my OS upgrades. Then later I connect to DM to start my BES activation.

Second tip of the day: Thanks to Stevew on this forum for this tip. For Vista and Win 7 users: In the apploader folder, simply click on "Compatibility files" to see the actual Vendor.xml file. Once you've got that - simply delete the vendor.xml file there (even if you've deleted or think you've deleted it in the folder previously) and voila, it will allow you to update to the newly installed OS!

jsconyers 11-15-2008 05:41 PM

Awesome find John! As always making life easier for us BB users!

Helmdawg 11-15-2008 05:42 PM

As always, thanks JC!! (y)

Horizon Wireless 11-15-2008 05:45 PM

The Great JC strikes again!!!

ricpac 11-15-2008 05:46 PM

Thanks John Clark!

This ought to be stuck!

...off to BlackBerryFAQ as well.

John Clark 11-15-2008 05:49 PM

yes, put it on the FAQ please! I'll stick it, as well.

Jason Mark 11-15-2008 05:49 PM

Nice JC. This will help a ton of people out. (y)

John Clark 11-15-2008 06:04 PM

stuck

strike2tamu 11-15-2008 06:24 PM

Wirelessly posted (8100 Strike 2)

Very nice.

juwaack68 11-15-2008 06:27 PM

Nice tip and write up (y)

ricpac 11-15-2008 07:03 PM

BlackBerryFAQ-ed!!! Why won't my OS update? I deleted the vendor.xml file! - BlackBerryFAQ

newberry52 11-15-2008 07:04 PM

Awesome!

juwaack68 11-15-2008 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ricpac (Post 1171390)

Nice job with the FAQ, ricpac!

ricpac 11-15-2008 07:15 PM

Thanks ma'am! Need to spend more time on it...

ezrunner 11-15-2008 07:32 PM

Wirelessly posted (troydbrown is Chad!)

Outstanding work

I had to do an update today and had this very issue. I will fix tomorrow

zerog46 11-16-2008 12:25 AM

I can assure everyone this does work, I have not been able to update my OS on my Vista PC for over 6 months. I tried this and it worked right away. Thank you John Clark.

BigA 11-16-2008 01:54 AM

Hmm.. I wonder how long before RIM make this mandatory, to retrieve the vendor.xml file. Where we can not delete it.

mmcpher 11-16-2008 11:30 AM

Missing Feature?

"4. In the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update.""

I don't see this when I go to modify. I'll try and update the OS, but maybe I need to reinstall the Desktop Software and then follow the directions in this thread?

John Clark 11-16-2008 11:40 AM

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

What version of Desktop Manager? Its only the newer versions with Automatic Update feature.

Rob44 11-16-2008 12:26 PM

This worked for me

John

Many thanks this worked - you are genius.

Robin

John Clark 11-16-2008 12:52 PM

For those that have used this method, what versions of DM are you using?

phrider 11-17-2008 11:37 AM

With DM 4.6.0.14, the "Update" alternative is in the check boxes section of the install. Are you talking about an even newer version of the DM?

John Clark 11-17-2008 12:29 PM

Updated. Thanks!

rachamphetamine 11-17-2008 05:58 PM

Great find!

atuarre 11-17-2008 07:20 PM

Apparently there is a new version of Desktop Manager, 4.7. I am going to try this. This issue was not in the version of 4.6 that I had.

atuarre 11-17-2008 07:21 PM

Scratch that, you can't download it yet.

John Clark 11-17-2008 07:22 PM

My instructions are really for DM 4.7 anyway. 4.7 will cause this problem if you install the auto update feature.

ragorman 11-18-2008 10:39 AM

Came across a potential stumbling block. When attempting to 'modify' the automatic updates setting, the installer choked when it was looking for the original "msi" file. I think it was because I've cleaned out the machine using a Cleaner type program that gets rid of unused and temp type files since the install of 4.6DM. So- just a heads up, in case you come across the same thing.

Nomadqq 11-25-2008 05:59 AM

You are the one..!!

Thank a lot John Clark.

I got it on an abandoned phone for a long time.
First I failed by trying without the battery, then I got it correct.

I think the problem with "mmcpher" is that he hasn't used the custom installation.

Great work John, you are the one..!!

mmcpher 11-25-2008 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomadqq (Post 1182205)
Thank a lot John Clark.

I got it on an abandoned phone for a long time.
First I failed by trying without the battery, then I got it correct.

I think the problem with "mmcpher" is that he hasn't used the custom installation.

Great work John, you are the one..!!

That may have been it, but it somehow updated despite my mishandling the process, and now has been operating at a much higher level, with greatly improved battery life. Next time I will try it the right way.

MyPearl 11-25-2008 03:15 PM

thanks

this helped at lot!

tag824 11-29-2008 02:22 PM

If you don't want to go through this whole process can't you just delete all vendor.xml files and then disable your network connection to get the update to work?

John Clark 11-29-2008 02:39 PM

probably.

d33pa 11-29-2008 07:26 PM

well done John Clark! i gave up on installing the os from my Vista, but I bet this will fix my "no upgrades found" issue. Thanks !

Neutral Sigma 11-30-2008 01:49 AM

Help! I'm running Vista and I can find "C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore" on my computer.

John Clark 11-30-2008 02:17 AM

Just do a search of your computer for vendor.xml and make sure that you are searching hidden files and folders.

BlackBerryWhite 12-01-2008 03:51 PM

very true sometimes i dont know what id do with my blackberry without this forum haha

Nucker 12-02-2008 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1189326)
Just do a search of your computer for vendor.xml and make sure that you are searching hidden files and folders.

JC,

Have you found any other reasons this happens? I have vista. I did not find another vendor.xml file in C:\Users\"Username"\appdata\local\virtualstore\pro gramfiles (x86),RIM\Blackberry.

I have searched my PC evern hidden files and folders. No luck. Am using an 8100 with the lastest OS. But cant seem to get anywhere with desktop manager. Loader.exe works and recognizes fine.

klmgbm 12-03-2008 12:03 AM

Help Error Codes and Cant Reload

Okay oh you great smart ones-

Started with a Error code of 525 (i think) tried the reload of OS. Went to a 507 error code, now did all the steps I can find on this page and am at a 547 error code. I would love to wipe the whole BB 8820 but have all this corporate software that prevents it, and I am runnning vista which for come reason is precluding the JL Commander from working... Send me a file that will completely devistate this BB so I can reload from real scratch.

klmgbm

cox

net

Im Going to bed... Been messing with this thing for 8 hours... I am Done.

aapierre 12-15-2008 05:36 PM

does the loader file keep 3rd party software or is that a reinstall for those?

John Clark 12-15-2008 07:31 PM

Under normal conditions all 3rd party apps will be backed up and restored. You'll need to reenter any registration/unlock codes for those apps, though.

If there is a problem with the loader process and you have to start over then you will lose the 3rd party apps but you can manually restore all your data with the automatic backup file.

aapierre 12-16-2008 08:10 AM

i asked because i followed the instructions as per the op

i could not get dm4.7 to update the os to 110.

removed and installed 4.6 and although it is a lot slower to work with it did the upgrade.

i may now remove 4.6 and re install 4.7 to work with and then go back to 4.6 for upgrades only.

John Clark 12-16-2008 12:52 PM

You don't need Desktop Manager in order to update your OS. Just go to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on Loader.exe. It does the same thing but without Desktop Manager.

Nucker 12-16-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1211479)
You don't need Desktop Manager in order to update your OS. Just go to C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on Loader.exe. It does the same thing but without Desktop Manager.

Even though we dont need desktop manager to upgrade have we found out why we are having so much trouble with dm 4.7? I used loader.exe to do my upgrade but also did all your suggestions from the original post. No go. Just wondering if we have found the hidden underlining yet?

akhilpo 12-18-2008 08:47 AM

Have an unlocked phone, afraid to upgrade

am living in India, hav a BB pearl 8100(RED) bought frm USA by my cousin. It is an unlocked one. It has a T Mobile Logo printed below keypad and AT&T logo during logon and shutdown screen. I am afraid that after upgrade it will get locked!!! Please tell me if there is anything like tht.

I also want to know what are things tht I wont b able to do on my unlocked phone when compared to a locked one.

ndub33 12-18-2008 09:35 AM

Welcome to the Forums!

It sounds like you have a T-Mobile device that had been previously upgraded to an ATT OS. Pretty common, and nothing wrong with that. Upgrading your OS shouldn't do any harm to your unlocked status.
As far as limitations, it depends on your carrier and the OS version you decide to upgrade to. Most of the time there are no issues at all, but occaisionally, a carrier will not provide the Service Books for another carrier's OS. This could limit your web browsing capabilities as well as have an impact on other features.
This is pretty rare, however. I would suggest you try it, if things aren't working right, you can roll back to your previous OS. The link below should help you with this:

How do I downgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ

Nucker 12-18-2008 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndub33 (Post 1214318)
Welcome to the Forums!

It sounds like you have a T-Mobile device that had been previously upgraded to an ATT OS. Pretty common, and nothing wrong with that. Upgrading your OS shouldn't do any harm to your unlocked status.

Incorrect. Changing your OS will never re brand your phone with a different carriers logo. You simply have an AT&T phone that someone has used a t-mobile replacement part on. Once your phone is unlocked changing your OS will not lock it again. Ndub33 was right telling you that you might not get all your servive books. What carrier are you using in India?

JC

giorgosh 01-11-2009 02:27 AM

Do we lose any of our data or settings when we upgrade? I want to change to a newer version bu dm does not back up my Bold.. Shall I risk upgrading without backup???

adorable 01-11-2009 04:21 PM

Great

JSanders 01-11-2009 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by giorgosh (Post 1242495)
Do we lose any of our data or settings when we upgrade? I want to change to a newer version bu dm does not back up my Bold.. Shall I risk upgrading without backup???

Since the OS upgrade requires a backup to take place first as part of the process, be careful.

i would suggest you download a newer version of Desktop Manager and get a backup of your device.

usblues1965 01-30-2009 12:45 PM

Very nice!

ranasajid 01-31-2009 06:42 AM

Where did u get stucked, with with BB model??

vjethi 02-18-2009 12:32 AM

Blackberry 8300 update

Hi,

I have a unlocked BB 8300 from O2.
I have tried updating my BB 8300 after I got a JVM error 102 by the techniques given in all the forum but still cant get it up and working.

After updating it, the device keeps on resetting continuously. I even removed the vendor.xml. Did everything possible that i could find in the forums.
What to do? Please help my device has been off for a couple of weeks now.

Thanks
Varun

fxstsb 02-22-2009 11:36 AM

So is DM 4.7 worth using?

jsconyers 02-22-2009 11:40 AM

Yes, DM 4.7 is worth using. It works very well. Also, you do not need DM to install an OS. You can use the Loader.exe file that comes packaged with the OS.

fxstsb 02-22-2009 11:46 AM

I am running DM 4.6. The other day I loaded the latest os for my 8820. Ido china or something like that. Well I played with it for a few days removing files and my ringtomes disappeared. Not knowing which module has them I played some more. Finally I did a factory reset and my ringtones came back. Well at that point I dumped my latest verson and went 1 revision back. I had to reload that update so my loader file was appropriate. (I think that is necessary) Well them I went to my DM, backed up my berry and did an update. It went through the process and added nothing. I did note that when I did an advance update all of the core stuff, MDS, Language an maybe more, no longer show up. My Berry works fine and see no problem on that end. Any thoughts?

z_evil_genius 03-08-2009 01:16 AM

Followed the procedures here as well and still my 8110 will not accept an update from 4.3 to 4.5. I honestly think that There is something physically on the phone that will keep this update from happening. After several texts from RIM about how I have to update it still doesn't work. I'd contact them, but unless they find the fault to be with them, which is solely at their whim I have to pay for any advice on their part. However, I don't see how I should have to pay for anything since I've followed all of their and your directions multiple times over the last 3 months and still can't upgrade to 4.5, even when AT&T offers the upgrade, this is ridiculous. iPhone here I come, I think..??..

John Clark 03-08-2009 07:39 AM

Follow the instructions above. Make sure the vendor.xml file(s) are deleted then go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on Loader.exe to load the OS to your device.

coollaca 04-12-2009 12:25 PM

Hi all. I'm new to the BB so I have a problem at updating. So when i want to update everything is going fine till i get to "Connect to the device ROM" after 5 min i get a message "unable to complete the update operation". I did everything delete the vendor file, uncheck the automatic update... Pls help if someone can. Tx

JSanders 04-12-2009 01:36 PM

You could try moving the USB cable to different port on your PC.

aussieranger 04-13-2009 08:52 PM

i just i have problem when installed upgrade my DM 4.6 to 5.0 but i have error when installing ( not successful )
now, when i restart my device, its loading the software 5.0 but stop in process ( no load again )

I would like to restore to 4.6 but the device not connected with Desktop Manager
can any one help me?

dc/dc 04-13-2009 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussieranger (Post 1351932)
i just i have problem when installed upgrade my DM 4.6 to 5.0 but i have error when installing ( not successful )
now, when i restart my device, its loading the software 5.0 but stop in process ( no load again )

I would like to restore to 4.6 but the device not connected with Desktop Manager
can any one help me?

This is not the correct place to pose this question.

aussieranger 04-13-2009 09:02 PM

please advise where i post this issue?

dc/dc 04-13-2009 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aussieranger (Post 1351937)
please advise where i post this issue?

In your own thread.

coollaca 04-14-2009 08:32 AM

I tried to change the usB port but nothing changed... But tx for thr tip :)

rdolmat 04-18-2009 10:11 AM

How long should the install of the OS update on my computer take?

ie: step number 2 of the instructions at the first post on this thread.

I've been waiting almost 10 minutes and it's stuck at "please wait while the InstallSheild installs ....etc..etc..."

the status bar at the bottom is all the way to the right...so it seems like it's finished, but it's just sitting there.

ARRGHGHHH!!!

I'll just keep my computer on all day and see what happens!

John Clark 04-18-2009 02:19 PM

It shouldn't take 10 minutes from start to finish. Stop it and then make sure no antivirus or firewall is blocking the installation.

rdolmat 04-19-2009 09:49 AM

Dang!

Still not working. Also tried un-installing and re-installing BB Desktop app (without Auto Update)...and then the BB OS update, still nothing. Freezing during BB OS install on my computer (step 2).

I give up.

:(

John Clark 04-19-2009 10:24 AM

You've got a computer issue. No Antivirus or anything? Do you have administrator priviliges on the machine?

rdolmat 04-19-2009 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1357867)

You've got a computer issue. No Antivirus or anything? Do you have administrator priviliges on the machine?

YEAHOO!!

It worked!!

I disabled ALL anti-vir...ALL firewall stuff...and even right-clicked the OS exe file and 'run as...' administrator allowing ALL privileges etc!

perfect upgrade!!

thanks John!

John Clark 04-19-2009 11:25 AM

Good thing you didn't give up!

chelleyjoan 04-20-2009 05:23 PM

HELP!!!! I did your instructions here and now my BB is stuck on the start up page FOR THE LAST HALF HOUR!!! I receive texts and emails I cannot see and I am able to receive phone calls. Eeek! My BB has been reduced to a regular incoming phone only. HELP?!?!?

jsconyers 04-20-2009 05:26 PM

You updated your OS and now its on the startup page? Do you mean the T-mobile splash screen?

What happens if you remove the battery for 30 seconds?

chelleyjoan 04-21-2009 09:52 AM

It still was not working....:( so I reinstalled DM 4.7 at my home computer, installed the software, took out the vendor.xml file, hooked up my bb, but it did not read the .206 software...it reinstalled the .114...at least it is not stuck on the t-mobile splash screen anymore...that was really annoying. I still had my Pearl so I switched over to that for the time being....did not realize how different the 8900 is....geesh...any ideas on how I can install the .206 at home? should I wipe the bb then install? or should I go to the apploader directly? Help?

chelleyjoan 04-21-2009 09:56 AM

oh yes...and I made sure to "uncheck" the "Check for Automatic Updates" box... In case you were wondering. ;)

jsconyers 04-21-2009 10:00 AM

The upgrade should be the same as a previous device. Try upgrading via loader.exe

chelleyjoan 04-21-2009 10:04 AM

Ok, I will try that at home and let you know....my work computer stinks. Thanks!

chelleyjoan 04-21-2009 10:06 AM

how long does the OS upgrade usually take?

John Clark 04-21-2009 10:09 AM

8900 takes about 20 minutes. Older devices take 45.

Loader.exe is the preferred method for installing OS's. Do NOT attempt to wipe the device just because you can't get Loader.exe or Application Loader in DM to connect. If you do you will still have a device that doesn't connect, it will just be a dead device that doesn't connect.

chelleyjoan 04-21-2009 10:12 AM

Thank you for your help. I will try later today and keep you updated. Keep your fingers crossed that things will work out. :)

chelleyjoan 04-23-2009 11:10 AM

YAY! It worked thank you so much! :) The new OS rocks! :)

trinityr 05-18-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1171299)
So, you downloaded the newest, latest and greatest OS for your BlackBerry and have followed all the instructions found here.

1. Download and install Desktop Manager.
2. Download and install the OS of your choice for your device.
3. Delete vendor.xml located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader.
4. Plug in BB and open Desktop Manager.

However, when you open Desktop Manager you get no prompt to update. When you open Application Loader your new OS is not listed!!

This has been plaguing people for the last few months. I've never experienced the issue because of the way I've loaded Desktop Manager but Vasco at Horizon did and he and I together figured this out. I believe we've found the issue and will explain how to fix here.

The problem lies in the new Desktop Manager's automatic "Check for Updates" feature. This feature uses your internet connection to look for OS updates for your device from your carrier. When it does this it loads a second virtual vendor.xml file in the temp folder on your computer (Vista users look in C:\Users\Username\appdata\virtualstore.) So, even after you delete the normal one that is installed with the OS and Desktop Manager, the automatic "check for updates" feature loads another one based on the brand of device you've got plugged into the PC.

To prevent this from happening this you need to install Desktop Manager WITHOUT this Automatic Update service. Below are the steps to remove this service.

1. Go to Control Panel >Add/Remove Programs.
2. Click on "BlackBerry Desktop Software" and select "Change/Remove."
3. When prompted, hit "Next" and then you should get options for Modify, Repair, or Remove. Choose "Modify."
4. On DM 4.7 and higher, in the list of installed items, you should see "BlackBerry Automatic Update." Click the icon next to it and change it to "This feature will not be available." That should put an "X" next to "BlackBerry Automatic Update." If you are using DM 4.6 or lower and don't see this option in this list then just continue with the install and the installation will ask you a few screens later. A screen will be shown where you will be asked to check the boxes for:

A) "Start BlackBerry Desktop Manager automatically each time the computer starts."
B) "Create a shortcut for BlackBerry Desktop Manager on the Windows Desktop."
C) "Check for software updates."

Be sure number 3, "Check for software updates," is NOT checked.

5. Finish the installation.

(Note: If you're doing a fresh install of Desktop Manager, be sure and choose the "Custom" install button so that you get the prompt for what features you want installed. Otherwise all the features will be installed as normal and you'll likely run into this issue.)

Once that is complete, you'll need to go back and search your computer for vendor.xml. When you do the search, make sure you click on "Advanced Options" and make sure that you search Hidden files and folders. This is important as some operating systems create a virtual store in the temp folder that this vendor.xml file is located in. You will not find this particular vendor.xml if you don't have hidden files/folders selected for search. Once the hidden vendor.xml is deleted it won't come back if you've reinstalled Desktop Manager without the Automatic Update Feature enabled.

Now, make sure your OS is installed (you may need to install the OS again, if you actually remove Desktop Manager and then reinstall Desktop Manager again. Make sure that you delete the normal vendor.xml file LAST before updating the device.

Tip of the day: Desktop Manager is not even required for doing an OS upgrade. In the same folder as the vendor.xml file is a file called Loader.exe. Running that will run apploader without Desktop Manager. It still makes the full backup and restore, but without all the DM stuff running in the background. I use this for all my OS upgrades. Then later I connect to DM to start my BES activation.

Great FAQ, however, most corporations install using SMS or batch scripting when installing to their users. Is there a way to prevent the Auto Updater from running during the installation such as a MST? I tried using an instruction file however that was ignored. Are there registery hacks perhaps?

Iare Tosevite 05-18-2009 01:05 PM

Why did you quote entire first post? :P

infamousturk 06-08-2009 02:48 AM

So frustrated. I've done everything, now when on DM it finally reads the new OS system I want to update to, it allows me to click on the check box next to it, but when I click "next" it says no update needed. Could someone PLEASE help me.

jsconyers 06-08-2009 07:51 AM

Welcome to the forums.

Make sure you've deleted the vendor.xml file. Also, try using Loader.exe to load the OS and not DM.

Kavim 06-09-2009 05:20 AM

agreed... using the loader file in the same folder as the vendor.xml file works great.
I had the problem with the automatic updater nuking my upgrade before it even started but one click on the loader file and maybe 2 clicks and 45 mins later the os upgraded fine :)

kgambino 06-09-2009 03:17 PM

Wirelessly posted (Bold 9000)

Thanks, John, once again you are the man.

bingkoy25 06-17-2009 07:22 AM

Hi Ive got my BB 8700g from my brother in US w/c he bought from Ebay with a T-mobile service. I already unlocked the device and IT policy already blank but when i tried to call it always say "call failed". I cannot make a call or send SMS. Please help other details listed below.

using:

Desktop Manager 4.7 (470_b050_multilanguage.exe)
BB 8700 OS: 8700EastAsia_PBr4.5.0_rel75_PL2.7.0.66_A4.5.0.52_T elstra
tried already BB OS : 8700M_PBr4.1.0_rel211_PL2.0.0.111_A4.1.0.258_Globe
carrier: globe telecoms

GavinBKK 07-05-2009 08:54 AM

Where to download latest 8800 firmware?

Go easy on me, I am completely new at this.......

I hav an 8800 that was on 02 UK, but has been unlocked. It is about 3 years old.

The firmware is v4.2.1.68 on Platform 2.3.0.54.

I understand that there is a much newer firmware but, try as I might, I cannot find where to download it. Th BB site sends me around in circles.

I have installed DM 4.7 and disabled the Automatic update feature and deleted the only single vendor.xml file that I could find.

What do I do next please? I tried running loader.exe, but it still tells me there are no updates available.

Thanks in advance.

John Clark 07-05-2009 08:56 AM

At the top of the 8800 forum are Sticky threads that say "Attention". There is one for the latest OS for the 8800. Make sure you use the 8800 OS and not 8820 or 8830.

GavinBKK 07-06-2009 06:09 AM

Many thanks indeed. That worked like a charm; all done now.

I can't see too many differences actually - is this firmware more of a bugfix, rather than new features then?

Cheers!

Carmel Valley Homes Agent 07-08-2009 12:29 AM

I had this problem but it was solved in a very helpful way by Verizon support when I called their service number. I must say I was happily surprised to find them so helpful. After dealing with the reps in the Verizon retail stores in San Diego, I didn't think the home office would be any better. But in fact they fixed my phone, gave me other helpful pointers about the Blackberry, and put me on a better calling plan.

dominicanodcora 07-21-2009 07:47 PM

i have read your post and did everything as stated. i have the nextel 8350i. i've tried it on my computer running xp and my friends computer running vista. both running dm 4.7 but i use the loader.exe to load os and i keep getting error 547 write flash failed and i used 2 diferent os for the phone. but when i pull the battery for 30 seconds and i put it back on i'll get a jvm error 102 and i also followed those steps on removing jvm error. i got the phone working once but not anymore. i just have a paperweight until someone helps me out. thanks

jsconyers 07-21-2009 08:29 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Try loading the OS again using Loader.exe and make sure you're using a USB port on the rear of the PC. Also when you load the OS, uncheck any 3rd party applications or themes that may be trying to install. Just load the basic core applications.

sobe09 09-04-2009 07:02 AM

I Need Help

hi,

I cant get Dm 4.7 or Loader.exe to to work on my blackberry 8900 curve. I am trying to load os 5.0 and Dm says no update is needed. loader.exe dosent even list the new os 5.0 i installed. i followed all instructions you said but no luck.
one question i have is do i have to have my current os installed (4.6) when i install the new os 5.0 i want to upgrade to? i dont know what to do.

franglish 09-05-2009 11:04 AM

i am using dm 501 to upgrade my bold to os 301 but after deleted vendor and try to connect to dm or loader.exe nothing happened...what should i do...pls help me thanks

madrussian 09-05-2009 01:53 PM

JVM Error 547 - has anyone figured this one out?

Carrier: ATT
Model: 8310

Error displayed on the screen 'JVM Error 547, flash write failed. Scroll for available commands'

After loading a new OS, desktop manager is not able to 'Reconnect to JVM'

I have tried 'wipe' using JL_Cmder, I have tried inserting the battery during 'erasing existing applications' process of the update, deleting vendor.xml, disabling automatic updates, removing and re-installing bberry desktop software - and still can't get the phone passed the JVM Error 547 !

I hear so many successfully got their phones functioning again - can anyone suggest things I can try?

avelasqu 09-09-2009 03:14 AM

I tried the hidden vendor.xml trick on both BDM 4.7b059 and BDM 5.0b028 on my 8900. With either combination of 5.0.0.130 or 5.0.0.190, i cannot get either OS to install. I tried Windows 7 64bit and Vista 32 bit. Still a no go. Any thoughts?

dblake 09-13-2009 04:57 AM

"net.rim.platform.ecmascript" missing problem/Storm 9530

For some reason some apps (BB Messenger, Maps, Document view) have disappeared and I've been trying to re-install them using DM or Loader but get the error message: "net.rim.platform.ecmascript"

I had also tried to do a complete clean with JL Commander but although it "connected" and the screen went red everything stayed on the device.

If I can get the "net.rim.platform.ecmascript" loaded somewhere that will probably solve the problem.

hoangtrang 09-25-2009 08:38 PM

That's a very interesting topic. But this field is still new to me. It will be grateful if you give me some more information about it. Thanks in advance.