BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Just no longer Sure (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=253464)

patrick 09-15-2011 07:31 PM

Just no longer Sure

I have been a faithful BB user for about 15 years. This week I had the opportunity to try my sons new Droid 2 --- MAN OH MAN, I feel so cheated with my 9650....the internet connect is at warp speed! Is anyone else feeling that RIM is falling behind in the technology race?

devnull 09-15-2011 07:34 PM

Re: Just no longer Sure

Oh good grief. Here we go again.

rambo47 09-15-2011 08:07 PM

Try a Droid for a while. I did. In the end I realized the BlackBerry platform just suits my own needs better. And I couldn't deal with the piss-poor battery life on Android.

Dubdub 09-15-2011 08:09 PM

If it works for you, give it a spin. We will leave the light on for you, so you can find your way back.

southwestcomm 09-15-2011 08:12 PM

Try the Browser on an OS7 device. Just as good of an experience as on Android.

Micsterator 10-23-2011 11:29 AM

I'm a novice so discount my observations accordingly. RIM faces stiffer competition than any time in history, so I'm not so sure they've "fallen behind" as you put it.

As to browser speed, a bud turned me on to Opera a year or so ago, and it's been trouble-free and screaming fast on both my pc and BB. Once a month or so, the damned thing freezes and the only sure solution I'm aware of is battery pull. Anyone have this experience? The fast speed way outweighs the infrequent glitch, so I'm staying with BB.

What brought me here today...is to find out how to change font size for BB emails. (This topic and thread caught my attention along the way.) Take good care.

M

Dubdub 10-23-2011 11:52 AM

Opera appears faster because it uses proxy servers. Your true is dependent upon many things such as your device itself - the processor and memory - your cell connection, your distance to the cell tower, amount of traffic at the tower, voice has priority over data.

The OP has an older device - 8330 (profile) or a 9650 (post). Not a fair comparison to the current generation Droid.

dairyberry 11-08-2011 07:35 AM

+1 for Opera Mini. I'm using 6.5 on my 9650 and it has given my phone a second lease on life. Using proxy servers takes the load off the slowish processor and allows it to render pages really quickly.

On a side note, the BB version is much better than the Android version in my opinion. I recently tried an Android phone and installed Opera Mini. It worked fine untill I came across a youtube link then it threw up an error message when I clicked on it.

On my BB when I click on the link in Opera it automatically opens it up with the native browser and plays it through the media player. Then you all you have to do is back out when you're done viewing and away you go again.

OS integration for 3rd party apps is one of the best advantages that BB has.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

ifonline 11-08-2011 09:56 AM

Isn't the OP's observation like saying I drive a 1980's Honda Accord and tried out my friend's 2012 Toyota Camry. Man, that thing is loaded with features. Honda is so far behind they are in trouble!