BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Do you suffer from Death Grip? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=231040)

knottyrope 07-19-2010 10:07 AM

Do you suffer from Death Grip?

Do you suffer from Death Grip?

NJBlackBerry 07-19-2010 10:09 AM

Only the Vulcan Death Grip.

Oh, on my iPhone 4 - yes of course!

audit 07-19-2010 11:52 AM

Never suffered from it on any Blackberry I owned nor my iPhone. Even tried it on a few other phones we have around the office and couldn't duplicate the "death grip".

bostonnerd 07-19-2010 02:42 PM

No offense Knottyrope, but these polls cropping up all over are basically useless (other than entertainment value).

1) Cellular RF transmit/receive between tower and handset is very low powered and can be affected by ambient temperature, leaves on trees, multipath distortion, case density, and yes, a hand.

2) Bars on any handset are a meaningless indication of call or data connection success (unless there is no signal at all)

3) GSM and CDMA have quite different behavior in handling their respective protocols.

4) As long as the error correction logic in the handset can correct within a certain threshold the call will go through and/or the data will flow (simplistic but makes the point).

5) Even if you drop from full bars to one it's possible for a voice call to be made/received

6) Antenna design is probably one of the most mature disciplines in EE. Even Marconi had a pretty good idea what was required and the effects of unintentional grounding. Any Freshman EE student can explain it.

7) RIM, HTC, Nokia, et al have been doing this for a long time. They also have talented RF Engineers. If they thought an external antenna design was feasible they would be doing it as it does have a lot of advantages if you can figure out the RF issues it creates.

8) Apple chose to go with this design for whatever reason. Their RF Engineers were well aware of the downside risks of using an external antenna.

Again, no offense.....

Kamau 07-19-2010 03:04 PM

Death Grip?
You mean Apple trying to hold on to their money?

JSanders 07-19-2010 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by audit (Post 1629613)
nor my iPhone.

Is that the iPhone4?

NipTUC 07-19-2010 03:15 PM

I don't use junk phones. I use cheap ones that only make calls if possible and they never drop bars by holding them.

audit 07-20-2010 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1629652)
Is that the iPhone4?

Nope, Didn't see any reason why I needed to get the iPhone4. Just loaded IOS4 on my 3GS and have the same thing but facetime and the added camera's. My neighbor and a few friends have it and besides the increased battery life, they really don't see a difference. All of them use bluetooth either in their car or earpiece and dropped calls are non existent. We even have a few people in the office that use them and never drop off the morning conference call each day.

ndub33 07-20-2010 08:52 AM

I've used 7 or 8 different BlackBerrys over the past six years and have never experienced this.

audit 07-20-2010 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndub33 (Post 1630007)
I've used 7 or 8 different BlackBerrys over the past six years and have never experienced this.

I've used them about the same amount of years and never had that problem, most times when I dropped a call it was due to a bad signal area that the carrier I was using at the time was suffering from. Since I've switched over to AT&T a few years back, I can honestly say with a straight face that I'm rarely ever in a bad coverage area anymore.

vliou 07-20-2010 12:16 PM

Ditto - never had an issue with my BB and i've had some angry phone calls which meant i had vice grip.

darkamikaze 07-21-2010 03:12 AM

I could actually make my signal drop 2-3 bars by doing a death grip :T

I have a Bold 9000 with a cover on it..

If anyone really cares and ask. I'm willing to make a video as proof.

Jadey 07-21-2010 03:33 AM

Vodka FTW

knottyrope 07-26-2010 09:22 AM

Vodka is losing

Jadey 07-27-2010 03:57 AM

BBF! What's occurring? Since when did we vote for non-alcohol options on a poll?!

knottyrope 08-05-2010 04:08 PM

Well looks like no one really has an issue with death grip.

:bb:(y)
8-)