BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General BlackBerry Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Antenna amplified using my BB stand (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=11875)

CrackWheel 07-12-2005 09:57 PM

Antenna amplified using my BB stand

5 Attachment(s)
So I got a BB and it came with a generic stand...right. Now that the connection is not integrated into the stand (i.e. 857/957's) you do not need it to sync. Usually my BB just lays on the floor or desk when syncing, then gets put back in my pocket or clip. Thus making my stand useless...until now.

I recently installed a Wilson amp in my car. I live in LA and still get bad/dead areas with Nextel (My Car) and Cingular (Wife's car). So the amps worked moderately. Since my wife has a Nokia I could order the attachment. Well I have a Blackberry (Like you didn't know). No connectors yet made and I really don't like having to snap something onto my BB. So I mounted the useless stand in my car with some Velcro next to my antenna amp. That lowered the dbms by -10. I wasn't happy...so I got medieval on my antenna and stand.

First, I removed my Wilson (see wclp.jpg) internal antenna from the housing. Cut and stripped the wires 1 inch back. Then I cut the antenna in half. (see cutnsolder.jpg) I then soldered two wires to each of the points. Enough to maneuver the antennas.

Second, I took apart the stand (see screwholes.jpg) and ran the antenna cable through the stand hole. (see runknot.jpg) I made a knot in the cable as to not put it out by accident.

Third, I mounted the cut antenna onto the bottom plate of the stand. I was fancy and use foam double sided tape. I also didn't want to use anything permanent...(see position.jpg) Please notice how I inverted the antenna's as to not cause more interference than needed. Once in position I connected the antenna cable pairs to the cut antenna pairs. I used a small cap from Radio Shack and crimped them together. Then I use electrical take to secure both pairs to each other.

Finally, screw the plate back to the stand and connect to the Wilson amp. Now when I sit my BB into my car stand, it is getting dbm's in the 30's. When my amp is off...I get into the 70-80's!

MobileRC 07-13-2005 09:55 AM

awesome thanks for the info

XDS 07-13-2005 09:59 AM

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Wow! Now that's A Die hard BB user !

I remember doing things like this to my CDPD modems , ahhhh Memories ....

XDS 07-13-2005 10:05 AM

Wirelessly posted (7290: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Wow! Now that's A Die hard BB user !

I remember doing things like this to my CDPD modems , ahhhh Memories ....

CrackWheel 07-13-2005 03:04 PM

With my Bluetooth headset it integrates nicely.