BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry and Mobile Security (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=145)
-   -   I lost my BB9780... (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=248250)

luiferrestrepo 04-30-2011 04:23 PM

I lost my BB9780...

I recently lostmy BB9780. Does the BB protect works if the put a new simcard. I know that the PIN will still be the same but if they put a new simcard from another carrier will i still be able to trace from the BBprotect website?. How does BB protect works since I am trying to locate it by the gps and does not show anything I seems that the phone is off or someone took ff the battery. thanks:x

Dubdub 04-30-2011 06:10 PM

Re: I lost my BB9780...

Make sure you call your carrier. In many cases, you are liable for all charges up until you notify them.

luiferrestrepo 04-30-2011 06:46 PM

I did already. The person who has the phone right know will not be able to use my account. My concern is that if they use a different accier simcard will i be still be able to send a message to the phone or block it or perhaps trace it.

aiharkness 04-30-2011 07:05 PM

Read what you will into what RIM provides at View your device's location - User Guide - BlackBerry Protect - 1.0.

Personally I don't put much faith in Protect helping anyone recover a lost (or stolen) device if the finder has no intent to try to return it.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

luiferrestrepo 05-02-2011 10:12 AM

In the website it says that it uses GPS technology. So I assume GPS has an unique ID for the satellites. Perhap if thy use it with a different number as long as the GPS is on I will be able to locate it.

aiharkness 05-02-2011 12:27 PM

The BlackBerry determines its location using the GPS system. GPS has nothing to do with communicating that location to you via Protect.

The key phrase in the document at the link I posted, I think, refers to the requirement that BlackBerry handset be connected to the BlackBerry/RIM network, which typically doesn't happen if the user does not have a BlackBerry data plan that is associated with the handset. So, what happens if you lose your device and someone else installs their SIM in it? Will Protect still connect to the BlackBerry/RIM network when the handset connects finds a mobile or wifi network? I don't know. I can imagine that it might, so long as the handset hasn't been wiped or Protect removed, but I don't know.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

luiferrestrepo 05-02-2011 02:40 PM

So how can we find a concrete answer to this.

Thiego-uk 05-25-2011 04:31 PM

maybe someone with a unlocked device could try out for us and post it here.
That would be really nice. Anyone?

joginder 05-26-2011 02:11 AM

Recently there is an article on BBCool and it clearly mentions that the even law enforcement will not go after the person if you tell them about the lost BB's location (Too complex)
So I think BB Protect is only as good as if you dropped it on the hiking trail or at the parking lot and still there but I dont think you can use this tool to retrieve your device using law enforcement.
The only way that law enforcement will get it for you is if you get the live screen shots of the device and proof the the new user is using it in real time.
Something like Lo-Jack I wish they have BB-Jack -:)

eilynn 10-27-2011 08:13 PM

Do you install BlackBerry Protect?
You can trace your lost phone using it.