BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General Legacy Device Discussion (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   Cingular rolls out BIS 2.0 & Unl Price drop! (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=37217)

MooseBerry 05-31-2006 02:28 AM

Cingular rolls out BIS 2.0 & Unl Price drop!

I spoke to a Cingular BB Support rep the other day and I asked when the new BIS would be out for cingular. He told me he had just gone for training on the new BIS and that cingular would roll it out on July 5. Has anybody heard the same?

Also, I asked why cingular didn't support Yahoo! messenger and for that matter BB Messenger, but he said he didn't know but he would look into it. Anybody know why they don't?

Boy Genius 05-31-2006 08:25 AM

Yes I have heard, Very Soon, emphasis on VERY.

snowskier79 05-31-2006 08:37 AM

I had heard Monday, June 5th.

MooseBerry 05-31-2006 01:25 PM

Wirelessly posted (BB 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

June 5th would be very soon. That day makes more sense, since it's a Monday. July 5th is mid-week, not the usual day to roll out new things.

snowskier79 05-31-2006 01:47 PM

My thoughts too Moose as a Monday seems more probably since they will have the weekend to work on implementation and it is the beginning of the work week. Plus I highly doubt that they would have their engineering's implementing a rather big system upgrade right before or on July 4th.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Moose 566
Wirelessly posted (BB 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

June 5th would be very soon. That day makes more sense, since it's a Monday. July 5th is mid-week, not the usual day to roll out new things.

MooseBerry 05-31-2006 03:40 PM

Yeah Skier, we're in agreement. I just hope cingular thinks like us! :)

snowskier79 05-31-2006 04:29 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Quote:

Yeah Skier, we're in agreement. I just hope cingular thinks like us! :)

Moose, that would be to easy! I am anxious for Monday, 6/5 but I hope a long weekend happens as well!

Stinsonddog 05-31-2006 04:35 PM

I don't want it if it's mandatory since 2.0 doesn't support folders. See my gmail/yahoo tips page for the latest.

dozment 05-31-2006 05:14 PM

But, June 5 is less than a week away. I would think even Cingular would give their customers more notice than that. Didn't the first carrier to upgrade (was it Nextel?) give a notice of several weeks?

hf1khal 06-01-2006 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I don't want it if it's mandatory since 2.0 doesn't support folders. See my gmail/yahoo tips page for the latest.

It willbe an option for users to move to 2.0 and if one can move to 2.0 at any time they wish to do so. Another thing that I found out is that the BB plans will also be changed. It will be BES and BIS and the pricing will also be changed accordingly to reflect which which means that BIS plans will be cheaper (my guess is that it would be around $35 per month). Also, the the browser will be changed to use Cingular instead of BB as this has too many restiction and bogs donw the conection, the use of cingular APN will be included and no need towory about additional charges. Another rumer is there will be an MMS app that will also soon be released and the 8700 soft update sure looks to be close too.

snowskier79 06-04-2006 02:40 PM

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7290/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Anyone heard of any updates, confirmations of thi s for tomorrow?

gdpmumin 06-04-2006 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dozment
But, June 5 is less than a week away. I would think even Cingular would give their customers more notice than that. Didn't the first carrier to upgrade (was it Nextel?) give a notice of several weeks?

VZW gave no notice at all. I woke up one Saturday morning, logged on to BIS and they were testing the new one out. I didn't know at the time they were testing it, but it went live two days later on a Monday for new customers and a week after that for existing customers. Since I upgraded during the test phase, I didn't have to wait the extra week.

Steve 06-04-2006 04:24 PM

Quote:

I spoke to a Cingular BB Support rep the other day and I asked when the new BIS would be out for cingular. He told me he had just gone for training on the new BIS and that cingular would roll it out on July 5. Has anybody heard the same?

Also, I asked why cingular didn't support Yahoo! messenger and for that matter BB Messenger, but he said he didn't know but he would look into it. Anybody know why they don't?

July 5th would be right after a long weekend and in my case, after returning home from NAD Conference in Desert Springs, CA (National Association of the Deaf).

I've been hoping I'll find a good deal on BBs and plans there. My wife's Cingular Blue (locked) is still off/on service issues. I'd move her to a TMO 8700g if I had the time before we go. So, I'm interested to see what will be available at the conference.

So, if they roll out 2.0 before we go, say on June 5th, then we could see if a switch or other decision would be a consideration.

Steve

sigmamason 06-04-2006 06:22 PM

I pray that this is true:
1) Lower price point
2) BIS 2.0 with the ability to send emails and replies from your various email accounts

One issue I encounter is that even though I enabled auto deleted if deleted from the device, I always have to logon and delete the messages on-line also...

gdpmumin 06-04-2006 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sigmamason
I pray that this is true:
1) Lower price point
2) BIS 2.0 with the ability to send emails and replies from your various email accounts

One issue I encounter is that even though I enabled auto deleted if deleted from the device, I always have to logon and delete the messages on-line also...

Lower price point? What do you mean?

If you have auto-age set in BIS, you shouldn't have to log in and delete the messages at all, unless you want them deleted before they reach the appointed age.

Berry One 06-04-2006 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpmumin
If you have auto-age set in BIS, you shouldn't have to log in and delete the messages at all, unless you want them deleted before they reach the appointed age.

Which means BIS 2.0 is right to the point with its unlimited mailbox because people don't know auto-aging exists in BIS 1.8.

When asked to upgrade to 2.0, just click Yes.

sigmamason 06-04-2006 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdpmumin
Lower price point? What do you mean?

Being on Cingular, the rumor is that they will charge a lower price point for BIS vs BES in 2.0...
As a small business man, $49.99 per month is a tough pill to swallow every month...if the rumor is true, then $30 to $35 per month is much better...
I just hope that they don't limit the browser choice to just the Cingular one, the BB is much better and more versatile...

jdjleo 06-04-2006 08:18 PM

I work in a Cingular COR store. heard these rumors and kicked it around the lower ranks...noone has heard anything about a BIS update? Not to say its hearsay we arent always in the loop on this kinda stuff...but noone in my markets immediate mngmnt has heard anything, and they are all rewquired to carry BlackBerries.

MooseBerry 06-05-2006 02:41 AM

I just checked the cingular BIS, nada! Maybe later...

snowskier79 06-05-2006 05:37 AM

Nothing yet!