BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   GPS & Mapping (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   I Found it!!! Offline Map & GPS Program for Blackberry (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=89451)

dsarfati 08-07-2007 01:05 PM

I Found it!!! Offline Map & GPS Program for Blackberry

Hi Everyone,

I'm going overseas later this month, and after contacting my provider they want an arm and a leg for any service out there ($2.00/min for phone, 5 cents per KB). So I said "SCREW THAT!" and decided I would spend my time finding an offline mapping program, so here it is! The maps are a pain in the but to get, but there is a nice little map generator that pulls from google maps. I've tested it SUCESSFULLY on my rogers BB8800 and even disabled all wireless services going to the device and the software still worked fine.

TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking

Software name is TrekBuddy, it's really cool and i've already downloaded some "downtownish" maps of the places I will be visiting to. I have my maps stored on my SD Card, and it just works out sweet...

I hope this helps people! Also, if you have some pretty good maps (I am really unfamaliar how the program's mapping system works, but I think you can have maps and atlases) just post them in this thread also, that way everyone with offline BBs who want maps can find it all here!

gibber9583 08-07-2007 02:08 PM

looks interesting, but also looks like too much work to get to work on your phone. Still waiting for a TomTom like application....

saua 08-08-2007 03:21 AM

While it's interesting for hiking and trecking, it's not particulary useful when driving, as it provides no path-finding support and that's what most people want (as far as I know).

ozMP3 08-08-2007 09:46 AM

I'm interested in this app, but I can't figure out how to install it. I downloaded and loaded the COD file from http://linuxtechs.net/kruch/tb/relea....57/index.html but there's no icon for it, even though it appears in my application list.

Never mind - I uploaded the files to by BB using Media Manager and installed the program from there.

Groovy 08-08-2007 10:49 AM

Hi dsarfati,
Looks great to me, because I pretty much go around my city, but dont know exactly where a street is. I downloaded the files, but could you help me, how installing for a BB8820, and how 'vamping' maps ?

baonilon 09-21-2007 11:34 PM

I've found a site that let you download 2000px by 2000px maps from Google. Limited area but it will work

gm2tb - GoogleMaps 2 TrekBuddy maps

XeoNoX 09-22-2007 03:37 AM

can someone else verify that this does NOT use the internet and is 100% offline, cuz i dont wanna run up my wireless phone bill.

vikramiyengar 09-23-2007 11:01 AM

BB-8800 beamberry beta problems

...can you guys post an instruction list to make maps for trekBuddy ?

XeoNoX 09-23-2007 05:39 PM

im trying to figure out in what foler i put the maps and how i point the program to the folder on my SDcard. Anyone have some instructions or examples?

sl55g 12-12-2007 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeoNoX (Post 678341)
im trying to figure out in what foler i put the maps and how i point the program to the folder on my SDcard. Anyone have some instructions or examples?

+1, I have loaded the .alx file on the BB via Desktop manager, but cannot see th app anywhere on the BB although it is listed in under the list of applications. Also where do I place the .set, .map, and .gpx files? Anyone? Thanks

jcbb2007 02-03-2008 06:59 PM

Re:I Found it!!! Offline Map & GPS Program for Blackberry Reply to Thread

Hi,

I have had a 'play' with TrekBuddy and have put a quick how-to together, I hope it helps someone.

Regards

James

Sith_Apprentice 02-03-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XeoNoX (Post 676479)
can someone else verify that this does NOT use the internet and is 100% offline, cuz i dont wanna run up my wireless phone bill.

turn off the data under options > wireless network

marccbr 05-06-2008 08:47 AM

This software is awesome. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and the Nuvi is better in most cases except for building your own maps. It is very simple to build maps for this application. Just download GoogleLeak and it goes to google maps, yahoo, etc and downloads the maps and formats them correctly all you have to do is copy them over to your SD card. This is perfect for building topo maps for backpacking, the battery also lasts a lot longer than my Nuvi. Can't beat the price, all for a grand total of $0.00.

I give it (y)(y).

FF2 05-07-2008 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marccbr (Post 919342)
This software is awesome. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 and the Nuvi is better in most cases except for building your own maps. It is very simple to build maps for this application. Just download GoogleLeak and it goes to google maps, yahoo, etc and downloads the maps and formats them correctly all you have to do is copy them over to your SD card. This is perfect for building topo maps for backpacking, the battery also lasts a lot longer than my Nuvi. Can't beat the price, all for a grand total of $0.00.

I give it (y)(y).

What is GOOGLELEAK? I've tried finding it and I'm not sure what it is???

Thanks.

shrag 05-07-2008 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF2 (Post 920644)
What is GOOGLELEAK? I've tried finding it and I'm not sure what it is???

Thanks.

I think he was referring to GOOGLEAK: TrekBuddy - J2ME application for GPS tracking

FF2 05-08-2008 12:37 AM

Thanks!

jorgeledesmadds 05-27-2008 11:05 AM

Is there an OTA download link available ? and can you have multiple maps loaded to your microsd card ?