BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BlackBerry Help (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=156)
-   -   9780 Won't Turn On - Momentary Red Light When Charging (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=258780)

beechfield 04-02-2012 02:57 PM

9780 Won't Turn On - Momentary Red Light When Charging

Hello, nothing happens when I turn on my 9780. If I plug it in a red light comes on, if I plug it in without a battery and wait a few minutes the red light goes off and a battery error symbol comes on. When I put the battery in after getting the error symbol, the screen goes off again and the red light comes on for a minute or two. The red light then goes off, I left it to charge for 1-2 hours in this state, on my return it was the same as before, still not working. I don't have any friends with a similar battery, meaning to try a different one would mean buying one, which would be one of my last resorts.
If anyone could make some suggestions then it would be of great help, thanks in advance.

Dubdub 04-02-2012 03:18 PM

Re: 9780 Won't Turn On - Momentary Red Light When Charging

Have you let the battery run down past 20% more than a few times? If so, you may have damaged the battery.

You can try removing the battery, placing the device on a wall charger and then insert the battery and see if it will charge. Typically, you need to get past a certain point, around 10-15% charge before the device will turn on. That might take an hour or two.

If that fails, try a new OEM battery made for your specific model.

beechfield 04-02-2012 04:11 PM

Yes well, I will buy a new OEM battery tomorrow and try leaving it on charge with the battery in tonight. Since the screen is functioning (to display a battery error), what are the chances that the phone has hardware damage (not including battery)?
Thanks!

Dubdub 04-02-2012 05:04 PM

Depends. Did you drop it or get it wet?

beechfield 04-02-2012 05:34 PM

Neither, I plugged it into my laptop when the laptop was crashed and from then on it stopped working. It may not have been this that caused it, as it could be coincidental that the battery failed at a similar time to me plugging it in.

tsac 04-02-2012 08:18 PM

A new battery should correct the problem. Avoid draining it past 20%

beechfield 04-03-2012 06:45 AM

I tested the battery, it has enough voltage across it to power a small lightbulb but somewhat inconsistently.

dc/dc 04-03-2012 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beechfield (Post 1773718)
I tested the battery, it has enough voltage across it to power a small lightbulb but somewhat inconsistently.

Then you should heed this advice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsac (Post 1773690)
A new battery should correct the problem. Avoid draining it past 20%

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1773677)
Have you let the battery run down past 20% more than a few times? If so, you may have damaged the battery.

If that fails, try a new OEM battery made for your specific model.

beechfield 04-03-2012 09:54 AM

Tried 2 different batteries, still no luck.

tsac 04-20-2012 09:19 PM

Ok , if you tried new batterys and if they were OEM Blackberry batterys then it may be the phone. check the connectors on the phone and make sure they make contact and are clean. Failing that it may require repair.