BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   Media Center (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Fix for Media Player Not Scanning For Music, Stuck on Scan, or Constant Reboots (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=140457)

John Clark 07-16-2008 09:45 AM

Fix for Media Player Not Scanning For Music, Stuck on Scan, or Constant Reboots

I ran into this issue yesterday with a Pearl on OS 4.5. I upgraded the device to a newer version of 4.5 and suddenly the Media Player would not complete a scan for new music. If I rebooted the device it would it would start the scan and find some of the music but wouldn't find it all.

Here is what I did to resolve the issue.

1. Removed the Media Card from the device and put in a card reader. This makes the rest of the process much quicker. However, you can do it with the card in the device.

2. Copy the entire contents of the card to your PC.

3. Put the card back in the device and go to Options >Media Card >Menu key >Format Card. This will wipe the card and reformat it. (if using a card reader remove the card and put it back in the reader.)

4. Now copy back JUST the media to the device. Do NOT copy back any "BBthumbs.dat" files or any system files. I went through the entire folder and deleted every .dat file before copying the contents of the music folder and pictures folders back to the device. The device will recreate these files. Also, I didn't copy the actual "music" folder but rather just copied the contents and pasted in the card's \Blackberry\music folder. Do this for each folder.

5. When finished put the card back in the device and try the Media App again. It should scan for music. If you have lots of music it can take 5-10 minutes. During scanning you can open the Music app and you should be able to see the songs moving around in the list as the device scans

If after transferring all your files back you still get a stuck scanning bar or device reboots then you have a conflicting file on the card. I've seen video files do this but it could be a music file too or (less likely) a picture file. Remove all the files you transferred and see if the reboots stop. Then add back each folder one at a time to see if you can narrow down to the folder that's causing it. Once you find the folder then you can narrow down to a particular file.

This method worked for me. YMMV.

Rock on! (to all your music!)

BBtap 07-20-2008 11:43 PM

my T-mo 8120 (4.3 OS) keeps rebooting as soon as put the micro-sd card in. The card was previously used in a 8100 with earlier OS release (4.1.something). So I really can't do step #3. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Garz08 07-21-2008 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBtap (Post 1025742)
my T-mo 8120 (4.3 OS) keeps rebooting as soon as put the micro-sd card in. The card was previously used in a 8100 with earlier OS release (4.1.something). So I really can't do step #3. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Why not?

BBtap 07-21-2008 09:06 AM

if i understand the step 3 correctly, I put the card into my 8120 to get it formatted, correct? But as soon as I stick the card in, the device reboots. When it comes up, it sees the card, and reboots again. And so on... So there is never an opportunity to format. What am I missing?
thanks!

JSanders 07-21-2008 09:29 AM

JC's instructions above might should also state in #3: After you have copied (or moved) all the contents OFF the Media Card to your PC, delete all the files on the Media Card. You are making sure all the "BBthumbs.dat" files and everything else on the card are removed from the card. It is the "BBthumbs.dat" that seems to be the culprit on the card, as those files were created with OS 4.2, and don't seem to be compatible with 4.5.

So you are placing the card back in your BB as a blank or empty card. Then continue with formatting the card in the BB with OS 4.5 running.

BBtap 07-21-2008 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JSanders (Post 1026066)
JC's instructions above might should also state in #3: After you have copied (or moved) all the contents OFF the Media Card to your PC, delete all the files on the Media Card. You are making sure all the "BBthumbs.dat" files and everything else on the card are removed from the card. It is the "BBthumbs.dat" that seems to be the culprit on the card, as those files were created with OS 4.2, and don't seem to be compatible with 4.5.

So you are placing the card back in your BB as a blank or empty card. Then continue with formatting the card in the BB with OS 4.5 running.

This is why this forum is simply the best!!! (y)(y)(y)
Worked like a charm! I copied everything off, deleted all, and was able to reformat. When I was copying stuff back, however, I thought I was being careful not to copy any .dat system files, but something must've gotten into the bulk copy, so the device started to reboot again. I'll have to figure out what's causing it, but at least now I have a way to get to the baseline.
Thank you, JSanders!

pipskicks 07-22-2008 11:40 AM

You are awesome! (y)

Cryptik13 07-23-2008 03:59 PM

I love you! lol

I thought I killed my Curve when I saw it resetting like that.
Muchos gracias =)

spega 07-24-2008 02:30 PM

Tried it numerous times, however it didn't work. Still crashes the system after I add the music & pictures (without any .dat files). Funny thing is that it worked fine for the first week. 8320 4.5.0.52

John Clark 07-24-2008 02:33 PM

One of the files you're putting back on is corrupted or doesn't agree with something. Can you narrow it down to either music OR pictures and then narrow it down from there?

JayMTL 08-14-2008 04:57 AM

On my 8100 i just turn the phone off, take the battery out then take out the sdcard for 10 sec then put everything back turn on the phone and everything works fine...

Also i've noticed that i only get the scanning problem if i go into the media program while it's connected to the pc.

BostonDriver 08-14-2008 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayMTL (Post 1059288)
On my 8100 i just turn the phone off, take the battery out then take out the sdcard for 10 sec then put everything back turn on the phone and everything works fine...

This worked for me just now, thanks. Earlier in the week, I did reformatted etc. as described above. Took a l o n g time.

Quote:

Also i've noticed that i only get the scanning problem if i go into the media program while it's connected to the pc.
I see the problem when I add a new song or two.

eric0668 08-16-2008 03:42 PM

....John, would this be the same problem/fix for me just putting in the card, it recognizes it in the options category and says 3.7 gb, However

1. It did not give me the any kind of prompt like I had heard and like the guy at Tmo said I would get

2. And when I put all my ringtones and pics over and a few songs, neither the BB available memory nor the Media card memory increased and decreased respectively.

?? If not, is there anything I can do to make the memory available update

thanks John

JSanders 08-16-2008 03:46 PM

3.7 for a 4gb card is normal.

1. Do you refer to the prompt to enable Mass Storage?

2. You will need to move quite a few ringtones, pics and music before you notice a great difference in file space used. Of course, if you have done a battery pull reboot, you need to , and then you might notice a difference.

eric0668 08-16-2008 03:53 PM

Yeah I enabled mass storage (oops sorry for the typo..corrected)

It should be,.. right?

And I was thinking I had to move a lot. But the 12 mb number should go up a lot quicker shouldn't it?

1. I emailed myself a ringtone and saved it in the exact spot as the others. I cannot find it when I goto my ringtones. would that indicate the same problems as above--i.e. not scanning properly. where would it be.

2. the ringtone I emailed plays fine on the puter and I have had on the phone before but it plays low and muffled and crackly. I forgot what I did in the past when I had that problem. I thought a battery pull..but that did not do it

JSanders 08-16-2008 04:15 PM

If the ringtone is on the media card now, make sure you are UNplugged from the USB cable when you look for it.

eric0668 08-16-2008 05:16 PM

i actually never found it. i am sure it is like the saying "it is not the computer it is the programmer/user" It has to be there somewhere.

Nonetheless, I put it on via the media manager to solve the distortion problem. First of all, I can find it now. Second of all, the sound problem is fine now

Anyone ever had the problem of it not sounding as good, or even good at all, when sending via mms or email?

Thanks again.

John Clark 08-16-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eric0668 (Post 1062544)
....John, would this be the same problem/fix for me just putting in the card, it recognizes it in the options category and says 3.7 gb, However

1. It did not give me the any kind of prompt like I had heard and like the guy at Tmo said I would get

2. And when I put all my ringtones and pics over and a few songs, neither the BB available memory nor the Media card memory increased and decreased respectively.

?? If not, is there anything I can do to make the memory available update

thanks John

Someone else had this issue of the memory amount not updating. I can't remember what the fix was, though. Make sure that files aren't being moved to a recycle bin on the card itself, too.

eric0668 08-16-2008 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1062694)
Someone else had this issue of the memory amount not updating. I can't remember what the fix was, though. Make sure that files aren't being moved to a recycle bin on the card itself, too.

I wouldn't even know how to find that. i.e. I am probably doing that. I will have to look that up

snhrph 08-18-2008 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Clark (Post 1019356)

4. Now copy back JUST the media to the device. Do NOT copy back any "BBthumbs.dat" files or any system files.

Can this be accomplished by searching for "BBthumbs.dat" and just removing he file from the card? Will the Windows Explorer find that file on the card?

Thank you.