BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   General 9600 Series Discussion - Tour (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   9630 battery is awful; any tips? (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=240101)

OneDayJD 11-17-2010 08:57 AM

9630 battery is awful; any tips?

I've got a 9630 that's less than a year old. I love it but the battery life is terrible. Is there anything I can do? I have virtually no applications running on it. And case in point, last night when I went to bed I was almost full battery with only one bar missing. Went to bed, i.e., didn't use it at all for over 8 hours, and it didn't lose service or anything during sleep. When I woke up this morning it was red and indicating low battery. I need to get a new battery, pref a bigger one but then I will have to get a new case (skin) for it etc. And I'm broke. Is there anything I can do right now to increase the battery life? Thanks in advance.

djm2 11-17-2010 12:54 PM

Re: 9630 battery is awful; any tips?

Are you charging it with a wall plug, or via computer. The wall plug, especially if you can remove the battery from the phone and charge it in a small battery box, will do the best job IMHO.

akosnitzky 11-27-2010 09:25 AM

Try charging with device off and let's see as that phone does have issues with it's unstable signals at times
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile

Dubdub 11-27-2010 09:32 AM

Maybe this from the FAQ might help: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I always keep mine topped up and never get it blow 20% or so. Draining a Lithium battery below 10% can actually harm the battery

aiharkness 11-27-2010 09:37 AM

If there are no apps running, no active web page left open, then it sounds like a failing battery.

I really haven't had low or sporadic signal drain a battery quickly since the 7100t. But I don't disagree that is a possibility that should be ruled out.

TheOneAndOnly1987 11-29-2010 11:28 AM

How do you check to see if you do have running apps? Wouldn't exiting out of a browser or exiting out of UberTwitter, for example, would not be running?

akosnitzky 11-29-2010 12:42 PM

Control+esc key

TheOneAndOnly1987 11-29-2010 12:55 PM

I don't have a control+esc key on my phone, at least that I'm aware of.

aiharkness 11-29-2010 01:48 PM

Alt + the back (aka escape) key. Or press and hold the blackberry (menu) key. Once the ribbon opens, scroll left/right to see running apps.

There are apps which will close to background and not show in the ribbon. It would be best to double check the settings in all your third party apps so you know exactly what they are set to do.

BBMe 12-03-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dubdub (Post 1678154)
Maybe this from the FAQ might help: Maximum Battery Life - BlackBerryFAQ

I always keep mine topped up and never get it blow 20% or so. Draining a Lithium battery below 10% can actually harm the battery

I thought you were supposed to let a battery periodically drain itself and then recharge as a way to make it last longer.

I have been having trouble with my tour's battery life lately. It is practically dead after 8 hours, even if I am not using it.

aiharkness 12-03-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BBMe (Post 1680703)
I thought you were supposed to let a battery periodically drain itself and then recharge as a way to make it last longer.

I have been having trouble with my tour's battery life lately. It is practically dead after 8 hours, even if I am not using it.

With the NiCd batteries that was more or less true--the batteries would develop a "memory" and needed to be fully depleted before recharging. Not so with the lithium and nickel metal hydride variety.

BBMe 12-03-2010 04:17 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the tip, although like I said my battery is running out on me too fast for me to make sure I stay above the red line. I guess for my next battery I'll learn.

spazz1968 12-07-2010 05:28 PM

Thanks Guys.

stach 12-13-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOneAndOnly1987 (Post 1678982)
How do you check to see if you do have running apps? Wouldn't exiting out of a browser or exiting out of UberTwitter, for example, would not be running?

Like aiharkness said, "hold the menu button down" to see what's running in the background.

UberTwitter was always notorious for running in the background (#1 reason why I removed it).

If it happened just all of the sudden I would retrace your steps to see if there is a new app installed or maybe you decided to start using NFL Mobile, etc.

Also, Bluetooth. Since a lot of the new GPS units have Bluetooth, it's worth mentioning if you have them paired. The battery will drain significantly when connected via bluetooth.

Good luck!

daphne 12-14-2010 01:04 AM

My original 9630 battery is still almost as good as when I first bought the device - one week after it was released. I think it holds the charge longer after being plugged in with USB and topped off for a a couple of hours when I'm on the PC at night. I don't keep bluetooth and GPS on all the time, only when using it.