BlackBerry Forums Support Community

BlackBerry Forums Support Community (http://www.blackberryforums.com/index.php)
-   BES Admin Corner (http://www.blackberryforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   KB19552: BlackBerry Browser dialog box does not clearly indicate mismatches between w (http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=205772)

Frank Castle 09-30-2009 08:36 AM

KB19552: BlackBerry Browser dialog box does not clearly indicate mismatches between w

Ok .. this one is a whopper and is going to be painful. What is everyone else planning. I did a quick check and have 1,400 devices impacted. Half of them all over the world.

Does this impact anything still below OS 4.5?

Since a large number of users are not in my main campus I will be having the users wipe and use www.blackberry.com\upgrade but it seems the OS that corrects this is not out yet?

Anyone have any further information? I've chatted with T-Support and it was brand new to them and they basically just went over the KB. I have reached out to both my TAM and carrier account reps to get more info.

rsk 09-30-2009 10:56 AM

I got a notice from our TAM today about it, looks like they are not going to patch anything less than 4.5 OS.
Quote:

RIM has issued a software update that resolves this vulnerability in BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5 and later.
I read that as "we're only patching 4.5 or later".

this is going to be a huge pain, we have 9,800 devices to patch.

I wonder how long it will take the carriers to approve the updates, I just tried to update a device and the new patched version isn't available yet.

colomtnbkr 10-02-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsk (Post 1480863)
I got a notice from our TAM today about it, looks like they are not going to patch anything less than 4.5 OS.

I read that as "we're only patching 4.5 or later".

this is going to be a huge pain, we have 9,800 devices to patch.

I wonder how long it will take the carriers to approve the updates, I just tried to update a device and the new patched version isn't available yet.

I just heard that Verizon and other carriers aren't going to push the update out and that they have no future plans of updating. All were going to tell users is that if they receive the message to close the browser and not go to the page again.
Sorry everyone.

jsconyers 10-02-2009 02:30 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Where did you hear this? Any links to confirm?

knottyrope 10-02-2009 02:48 PM

None of my carriers have an update for any of the devices we have.
OTASL will not work for us then.

Making a bunch of packages and telling users how to install will not be fun.
Telling users not to click on any links is the easy way out for now.

rodtp 10-05-2009 06:50 PM

This issue has been reported by RIM on 09/30/09.

Doc ID : KB19552
Last Modified : 09-30-2009
Document Type : Security Advisory

rodtp 10-05-2009 06:52 PM

Guys, I'm newbie.

I was reading about this issue reported by RIM, and I'm wondering, if there is a way to push out an OS update from the BES to all devices?

Normally we save all updates on our Server, share a folder, and advise users to connect their devices (USB) to the Desktop Manager and browse the sharing folder to get the latest update.

is that the best way to do, In our case we don't have that massive number of devices like " rsk" with 9.800 devices. There is only 25 devices.

Many thanks!

Rod

cyberkamote 10-08-2009 01:10 AM

so in order to address this you really need to do a firmware upgrade? there's no upgrade just for the browser? *lol* thinking aloud..

cyberkamote 10-11-2009 08:20 PM

if a user closes the web page in their Blackberry and browse on his/her computer instead do you think these invalid certificates will show up as they really are (with the special characters showing up) ?

knottyrope 10-14-2009 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberkamote (Post 1487212)
if a user closes the web page in their Blackberry and browse on his/her computer instead do you think these invalid certificates will show up as they really are (with the special characters showing up) ?

Want to try it and let us know?